myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Patagonia R3 without Smoothskin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xander.arch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: New Patagonia R3 without Smoothskin Reply with quote

I'm looking for anybody with experience using the new Patagonia R3 that does NOT have smoothskin. I just got it as a warranty replacement for my two year old smooth skin R3 whose zipper car kept popping off. I've got to admit that I'm pretty impressed that Patagonia volunteered to warranty the suit as repairing the car should have been an easy fix - pretty amazing service! Besides the zipper problem I loved my original R3.

It certainly looks like the new R3 is a much improved suit but I am worried about evaporative cooling for windsurfing now that they got rid of the smooth skin. Patagonia told me that they were having problems with seams splitting on the older generation smoothskin suits so the solution was to get rid of all the smoothskin. I'm especially concerned with how warm the suit will be on the coast - especially late in the day during the spring/fall. I tend to spend a lot of time down and out in the rinse cycle. The suit is rated for 48-58 degree water so it should have no problem with the water temps. It may be that this suit has become more surfing specific and just won't work in the wind?
slk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed a compromise with the new suit. The old and new suits are both great in my opinion.
slk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed a compromise with the new suit. The old and new suits are both great in my opinion.
koogzah

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slk wrote:
The old and new suits are both great in my opinion.

The old and new suits are both freaking expensive, in my opinion. Shocked

Are they really worth $500+?

(I'm in the market for a new one, so this is a sincere question... )
VinceSF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:

Are they really worth $500+? (I'm in the market for a new one, so this is a sincere question... )

there's reason they're nicknamed patagucci..
Smile
SPQR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used both, my original from three years ago split a seam on the arm, although it didn't completely split. I took it in for a repair and when i went to pick it up I was presented with a brand new suit, which I think is even better than the original. I have used O'Neil, Neil Pryde, Victory, Excel et al, but have to say the Patagucci is the best I have used.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
slk wrote:
The old and new suits are both great in my opinion.

Are they really worth $500+?

(I'm in the market for a new one, so this is a sincere question... )

Check out the Xcel Offset. I got one for my son at Proof Lab in Mill Valley for $225, I think. First time I wore mine at Treasure Island, I had to flush with cold water whenever I fell because I was too warm. Mine's 2+ years old, and in need of replacement, but it probably would have lasted longer if I didn't hang it in the sun to dry every day. And for $225, can't complain. Warm, easy to get into.

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can't comment specifically on Patagonia's product, the issue of smooth skin versus fabric covered neoprene is not that important while in the water. Both do the job well when you're active. It's only standing around wet in the wind that the smooth skin gains some advantage, as it's less apt to introduce a refridgeration type effect. However, the fabric covered neoprene is far superior at resisting tears and the affects of abrasion.

Another thing to keep in mind about different suits (surfing versus windsurfing models) is that the shape and cut in the arms and legs are usually different. Surfing suits have tighter arms and a relatively loose lower leg around the cuff. Windsurfing suits tend to be the exact opposite in design. Also, surfing suits tend to have a more complex zippered entry point to preclude or resist water entry while getting worked in the waves.
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfed for 40 years, windsurfed for 20, never had a better suit than my ProMotion. Warm, stretchy, not a bunch of gimmicks, just a good, solid suit. Seams are guaranteed for LIFE on most of them, too. Their windsurfing suits have oversized forearms so your forearms won't cramp up on you, and the legs release at the bottom for easy in/out. Great service, too, you can call & talk to them about sizing & fit. You won't have to pay $500., either!!

www.wetsuit.com

koogzah

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patagucci... nice.

How about Pradagonia?

Any love out there for the Pryde 3000?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: