myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing TI during fleet week?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Sailing TI during fleet week? Reply with quote

I watched the Blue Angels from a sailboat two years ago, and after the show it was a mass exodus of sailboats headed east. Today the forecast is favorable for TI and Crissy, and I might take a chance on it. Could be dicey threading through all the returnees in the afternoon.

Steve
victor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weren't we out there a the year before last with a couple of square riggers shotting cannons at each other?
gerritt

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blue Angles were running formations over Coyote last night. Only saw about five boats. Very powered on a 5.8. Warm and steady wind. Ebb smooth water. Sweet!
jjstien

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In years past they have flown very low over TI as one of their marks seemed near by (end of the pier?). Love the Jet fuel smell and thundering into the bones while dialed in...
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are probably better off there than say at Crissy. Was out running this morning and the parking lot was already full by 10 am and they had blocked the entrance. I think the biggest challenge today will be traffic in and around the city.
tajella

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last night at TI there were definitely quite a few boats. I think they were out watching the Blue Angels warming up for the weekend.

I would imagine that there will be a lot of people driving over to TI just to watch the show. Might be a little crowded getting on and off the Island.

Bob
jse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
weren't we out there a the year before last with a couple of square riggers shotting cannons at each other?

Heh heh. I forgot about that day. it was pretty cool. was that fleet week?
dperzinski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got out to TI today. Wind didn't look that great, so watched the blue angels for a while. Very impressive. Wonder what it would be like to fly one of those, bet it's big fun.
Didn't see any other w/s out, but saw a couple of w/s cars; maybe they were out a Angel Is.
Checked the phone, dog gone it, 26 at Waddell. 21 in the Channel at 3rd, so I went there. Traffic getting off the island was just starting to get bad, but I beat it for the most part.
Sailed 3rd on 5.3, 85l--super fun for 1.5 hrs.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to Crissy at 5pm after the crowds cleared out and got about an hour plus of solid 5.2 conditions. Ebb was super strong.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dperzinski wrote:
Got out to TI today. Wind didn't look that great, so watched the blue angels for a while. Very impressive. Wonder what it would be like to fly one of those, bet it's big fun.

Until one flies into a building like it happened in San Diego (2008, four people killed including two children) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2008%2F12%2F09%2FMN7014K8TH.DTL or comes down in a residential area as in South Carolina (2007, pilot killed) http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2122401820070421

Besides the safety issue, the absurd level of noise (it is so loud that car alarms go off in my neighborhood), and the cost to taxpayers (add to the cost of the show the neat 60,000,000 (sixty millions) dollars going up in smoke each time one goes down), I am not sure I find the show very tasteful: having fun with instruments of death is not my cup of tea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: