myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
complete beginner in San Diego
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buddha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: complete beginner in San Diego Reply with quote

Where can I find a good board and what board do I need for this area?

Also where to get lessons.

Basically I need all kinds of info since I am clueless and new.

I live less than a mile from the J Street marina in Chula Vista.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to contact and join the SDWA (www.sdwa.org) . They have boards you can rent ($5 a day!). One is a total beginner board and the other is a bit more advanced. Unfortunately you need to pick the SDWA boards up near Mission Bay.... Get going with those boards and then you can start asking around for gear.

The board/sail combo best for you will ultimately depend on skill level and weight. You can probably start a very "exciting" thread in this group as everyone weighs in with their ideas.

The bin-annual swap meet at Seal Beach in LA could be a great place to get gear ( not sure when that is), but you need to be clued up or someone will unload junk on you! Find a friendly SDWA member to advise.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will give you stuff. Contact me personally.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, no ... don't tell us you're going to unload that old yellow Aiken sinker on this poor dude?

Just kidding ... but it did happen to an absolute beginner back in the day, except that it wasn't free; a shop SOLD it to him at full price as his very first exposure to WSing in an area far more suited to 240-liter longboards and jet skis. The poor sap gave the sport up within weeks.

Good on ya, Gregorvass. And Buddha, you're a wise man in asking about lessons; that SDWA can help you more than you can imagine.

Mike \m/
cmoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seal Beach Swap meet is Sunday OCT 24 at the Rivers End Parking lot 8am-12
gregorvass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this about 33 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbSXn37f5k

Go buy a "Big " Board and a small Sail.

Go do it.
buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: It seems like the windsurfing community are friendly people Reply with quote

I met some windsurfers this past week with the SDWA in San Diego at J street. I was impressed with how friendly and helpful everyone was. I got a very good vibe.

It seems like this forum has friendly members also and I thank everyone for their responses and trying to help out a complete beginner.

I have been a tennis pro for over 30 years and also have worked hard to become a very low handicap golfer in my lifetime.

I am usually a hard core enthusiast when it comes to learning sporting activities but with windsurfing I think I will just chill out and try to enjoy it and not go too crazy lol.

I am getting too old to be a fanatic I think lol.
buddha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregorvass wrote:
I will give you stuff. Contact me personally.

Thank you very much Greg I sent you a PM.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: It seems like the windsurfing community are friendly people Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
I am usually a hard core enthusiast when it comes to learning sporting activities but with windsurfing I think I will just chill out and try to enjoy it and not go too crazy lol.

Be warned: you are venturing into a sport that has ended many relationships, marriages, and careers! You may as well sell your house now, buy a van, and get used to living down by the river! Its not too late to back away. Until you get on a plane (hydroplane), all is not lost. But, once you are planing, all your priorities will shift and just like any crackhead you will pimp your wife for just another taste...
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: It seems like the windsurfing community are friendly people Reply with quote

buddha wrote:
I am getting too old to be a fanatic I think

Not necessarily. Two of us silver-hairs were rigging up for blowing spray Monday when a "civilian" walked up and said, "I thought this sport was for young guys".

After we punched him out for insulting us, we explained the harness concept and the conditioning the sport provides.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: