myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
euro pin vs two pin us bases
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: euro pin vs two pin us bases Reply with quote

so, not sure if I just want an excuse to spend even more money on windsurfing equipment or not, but what are the pros and cons of using the
euro pin style base vs the two pin us or chinook style?

thanks, and let the games begin.
(I am purposely not relating the kind I am using now so as to avoid any kind of pre-judging)

Dennis
airwave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After down hauling a euro base you are left with excess line that must be tied off. With a US base you can stuff the line into the base which is faster and easier to deal with.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that excess line to back up my high-tension DH line in case it breaks, so stuffability is not an advantage to me.

In answer to your follow-up question ... only once, but it saved me from a major rescue or self-rescue effort, so it's worth the 30 seconds it takes,
IMO.

But keep typing; I keep wondering if I'm missing out on some advantage for either I hadn't thought of.

Mike \m/
airwave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

ummm, How do you use it as a backup in case of breakage? Just as an extra safety for the mast not to separate completely from the board?

Euros seem to attach and un-attach a bit easier, maybe, sometimes.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inch or two after the DH line emerges from its cleat, I throw a figure 8 knot into the line, then stick the free end through the nearest sail grommet, then around the mast extension, then through the grommet again, etc. until the line is just about used up, then tie that last free several inches around the line between the figure 8 knot and the grommet. None of these knots is tight; they're just there to a) keep me from tripping over the line and b) tighten themselves and keep the sail snugged down if the DH ever does break.

Mike \m/
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: euro pin vs two pin us bases Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
so, not sure if I just want an excuse to spend even more money on windsurfing equipment or not, but what are the pros and cons of using the
euro pin style base vs the two pin us or chinook style?

thanks, and let the games begin.
(I am purposely not relating the kind I am using now so as to avoid any kind of pre-judging)

Dennis

The euro pin rotates more freely under load (i.e. rig raked back and to windward) and stresses the uni/tendon less.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Euro-pin reduces the tendency of some boards to flip over when maneuvering to waterstart (a function of the reduced friction illuminated by Florian, above) and makes attaching board to rig so much easier -especially on the water, and especially with very wide boards.

The Euro-pin also aids in the composition of run-on sentences.
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe not all europin bases and extensions are compatible with each other. for the past long time, I believe all the US pin cups and bases are compatible between brands. dhmark
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some yet of the older 2 pin, but in recent years have only replaced/upgraded to the Euro pin, I have had or do still the Fiberspar, Chinook, Streamlined .

in carbon & aluminum, but all are skinnys, which neither are the discussion here , so will shut me gob.

well almost .. the new yet to be released Titanium ones here:

http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=55277

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough difference to convert unless you are replacing broken or converting from SDM to RDM, or you are just bored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: