myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
euro pin vs two pin us bases
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhmark wrote:
I believe not all europin bases and extensions are compatible with each other. for the past long time, I believe all the US pin cups and bases are compatible between brands. dhmark
There's two euro pins, one long and the other short. The short works with a Chinook adapter while the long doesn't. Otherwise they both fit all euro mast extentions exactly.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
I believe not all europin bases and extensions are compatible with each other. for the past long time, I believe all the US pin cups aThere's two euro pins, one long and the other short. The short works with a Chinook adapter while the long doesn't. Otherwise they both fit all euro mast extentions exactly.

Not sure Seedysailor agrees with you, Brucie. You'd better have a heart-to-heart chat with that guy.

By the way, it's a real disappointment that you've closed down your Vero Beach blog. I enjoyed reading your meaty, pithy writing.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am considering to replace my US Cup mast base with a Europin base because it is faster to connect. Is there a way to adapt my Us mast extension for a a euro pin base?

Thanks

Ittiandro
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no way.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I am considering to replace my US Cup mast base with a Europin base because it is faster to connect. Is there a way to adapt my Us mast extension for a a euro pin base?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Is their a way to adapt a US MAST ext to a Euro pin base ?

NO. Not that I’m aware of.
You might check the UK based shops, via email or shop the web sites.

I have this , but not seen one for some years, I’m away sailing now and its at home. THIS is a unit that fits into a CHINOOK base PLATE, it has a small post, like all the others that do this fitting, how it differs is it adapts to the EURO pin instead of US fitting into the extension.

Since you would need a EURO pin extension for this anyway, it makes more sense to purchase the correct BASE and extension.

The extension brands have different latch/unlatch systems to the base. Of Unifiber, Chinook , Streamlined, Severne Wave Grenade , HotSails Maui(no longer made) all have acceptable systems, these I have and use.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
scottybda

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using both over the years, Euro pin for my slalom kit was easier to connect the bigger rigs and disconnect and also when I went to the North XT system wasn't much choice in the matter.

I use the US style for my wave kit and think it's probably robust in surf conditions. I used to find the US style didn't always work between brands though. My windsurfing Hawaii extensions would be too tight to fit on some brands of UJ which was a pain if you didn't throw the right combo in the car!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a very gritty and sandy environment, with tons of wind blowing on any kit all day, sand builds up and jams euro pins easier. solution, don't have multiple kits rigged and ready to go in venues like that. oh, PWA types do. that's when they use american cup.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i considered going Euro pin ...
discovered 2 bolt mast base has other options
for ease of separation ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2130/4753/products/53-Two-Bolt-Tendon_1600x.jpg?v=1499895132

[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2130/4753/products/53-Two-Bolt-Tendon_1600x.jpg?v=1499895132[/img]
[img]http://www.delmarvaboardsportadventures.com/store/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/926507dc7f93631a094422215b778fe0/2/b/2bolttendonusquicklg.jpg
[/img]
images don't work here any more ? hmm ... pity
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
i considered going Euro pin ...
discovered 2 bolt mast base has other options
for ease of separation ...

Valid point. I also use Euro pins for race sails, and US for everything else. I don't really see a difference in how hard is to separate the rig. If there's any sand at the base, the US base can actually be easier.

Of course, the two-bolt base adds one extra step where users can make errors, which can result in rig separation on the water. It also limits the adjustment range, which can be a problem on some boards that like to have the mast base all the way to the front or the back.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Of course, the two-bolt base adds one extra step where users can make errors, which can result in rig separation on the water.

Hmmm? My experience is one-bolt twist on base comes apart on the water far more often. Luckily though, the six or seven I have seen have all been at ABK camps doing light wind freestyle.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: