myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the GOP IS the root of all evil...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 250, 251, 252  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--Pollitt covered that in the full essay. Science is more than a little hard for many of these evangelists. You may recall that some on the forum and the Tea Party have argued for electing amateurs. The elected a lot of nutty amateurs unwilling to listen to other people's values and unwilling to compromise. They thought they would get cleaner politics. The fact free budget problems that have occurred in Kansas are not unique. The anti-abortionist extremists (the American Taliban) have not only blocked the Colorado measure, based on a complete misunderstanding of the science of IUD's, but they have passed dozens of abortion restrictions that have been successfully challenged in court. Their extremism has cost governments at the State level millions.

Does anyone still want to defend election of poorly educated amateurs?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then when the Democrats say this is a "War on women" they cry foul. Don't look at what we, actually, do. Vote for us cause of what we say we do.

Reproductive rights, particularly birth control, is probably my biggest political concern. To me, population expansion is the root of most of our global problems. Limiting access to birth control is a crime!

I am all for shaking up government. I think incumbents become too entrenched. But, electing these guys with a contempt for government is a poor solution.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Reproductive rights, particularly birth control, is probably my biggest political concern. To me, population expansion is the root of most of our global problems. Limiting access to birth control is a crime!

Now class........71% of the globe is water; 29% is land; 10% of the land is populated. So, less than 3% of the globe's surface is populated but the population is rising. Solutions anyone?

Sir, sir, sir!!...........kill the population!!

Brilliant Jenkins! What other alternative could we possibly have? That should be our number one political concern. Not mass unemployment, disease, genocide, national security. All those pale in the face of the struggles that American women have in buying contraceptives from the thousands of available sources. It's a crime I tell you!

(banging head slowly against wall......)
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang harder, it's not working.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:

Now class........71% of the globe is water; 29% is land; 10% of the land is populated. So, less than 3% of the globe's surface is populated but the population is rising. Solutions anyone?

Brilliant Jenkins! What other alternative could we possibly have? That should be our number one political concern. Not mass unemployment, disease, genocide, national security. All those pale in the face of the struggles that American women have in buying contraceptives from the thousands of available sources. It's a crime I tell you!

Who would have guessed. Mr. Gybe has gills.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Occasionally, conservatives show us exactly how far back they want to turn the clock. In mrgybe's case, it seems to be 1873, when the Comstack laws were passed banning contraception. Before that, abortion and contraception were more common--although much less effective.

Let's remember who his moral guides in this were. The Knights of Columbus and the Catholic Bishops. Oops.

Quote:

Pope Francis on Monday accepted the resignation of two U.S. bishops on Monday, 10 days after a Minnesota prosecutor filed criminal charges against their diocese for failing to protect children from a sexually abusive priest.

Archbishop John Nienstedt of Saint Paul and Minneapolis and one of his deputies, auxiliary Bishop Lee Piche, resigned over their links to Curtis Wehmeyer.

Of course, to show his commitment to integrity, mrgybe also conflates contraception to "kill the population." Much less make sure that poor teenager girls who get pregnant stay poor. He must be so proud.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:

All made worse by over-population. It's that damn math thing again rearing its ugly head.

How to explain....

Try this...suppose a human needs an apple a day to survive. Suppose there is only room for one apple tree that provides 8 apples a day Suppose there are 10 humans. Now class what happens?
1. Two humans starve.
or 2. Ten humans are slightly hungry.
or 3. Five humans are very hungry, but survive. The other five put a fence around the apple tree, guard it and throw the apple cores over the fence (our system)
and then 4. The hungry kill the full and take the tree.
5. The tree dies due to salt water intrusion into the water table.

I wonder if this gets worse with 11 people and one tree. Think class.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But teacher........why would you suppose that there is only room for one apple tree when 90% of the land is not occupied? That makes as much sense as saying that American women's access to birth control is your number one political issue. Surely you know, sir, that women can get free contraception from drug stores, supermarkets, from Planned Parenthood, by mail order, etc, etc. Teacher, are you suggesting that people are too stupid to figure out that they need to plant a second apple tree.........and that women are too dumb to figure out how to get free contraception despite ubiquitous availability?

The soft bigotry of low expectations.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're loosing farmland.

http://www.farmlandinfo.org/statistics

Where I live, I could plant 100 apple trees and not get a single apple. In case you have't noticed, much of the land is not suitable for crops.

For one who routinely scoffs at science, I find it ironic that you, apparently, believe technology will provide an answer that will allow unending population expansion. Or do you think there is a limit to our resources and we should do nothing about until we have a crisis?

The same politicians that do not want to fund domestic programs, will not fund international birth control programs. Unless, we consider the loss of civilian lives due to our military interventions as birth control.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there not mountains? Are not there deserts? Are there not lands where fracking has used the water? Are there not lands fouled by energy development and waster?

About 24% of the United States is arable according to the World Bank. That doesn't take into account availability of water, quality of soil, or that problem that we must ignore, global warming.

Is it arrogance or stupidity that leads to such blanket statements, claims that no one is trying to block birth control, and expects a young teenager to understand all the options for birth control? Particularly those that work as well as the IUD blocked by Colorado social conservatives?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 191, 192, 193 ... 250, 251, 252  Next
Page 192 of 252

Jump to: