myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Once upon a time...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longboards have become a minority interest but, to those who see the point, an enchanting one. They especially come alive in that 8 to 15 knot wind range. To those of us who are smitten no other type of board comes close in feel. It's not what they do, but how they do it! Short wide super planers may blast past us but it won't be us with the scowls on our faces when the inevitable lull strikes.

There's something about going big. The massive Mahalo tandem when tanking along at a stately trot (it can plane too, of course) has an appeal that's difficult to explain. You either love it or hate it.

I think a lot of long time windsurfers who probably started out on the old longboards would be tempted back on to them by newer exciting designs. At least, Starboard and Exocet are showing interest (new Phantom has sprouted wings, and new Div 2 type Exocet) and some of can't wait to see how they perform in practice.

I rarely buy magazines nowaday, except for the tests. What they depict bears no relevance to the normal windsurfing conditions which most of us are condemned to. Endless articles and pictures of pros doing impossible things in perfect locations isn't going to 'ring my bell', so what's the point! I'll settle for satisfaction over style and image! Laughing Laughing
chas5131

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What GurgleTrousers said.
Welcome to the real world. Get a longboard.
Preferably a Kona One. Very Happy
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my fantasy world better, and you might too if you lived in it.
I was on a 5.5 and a 95 Ltr board yesterday, and a 4.2 and 4.7 and
80 ltr board the day before. I've sailed nothing
larger than 5.5 since last November (when I whored myself out
on a 6.7 at Stevenson on a light Easterly). Displacement mode
is for me like sex without orgasm. But I defend your right to enjoy
sex without orgasm if that's what you like. It's probably better
than no sex at all. ;*)

-Craig

chas5131 wrote:
What GurgleTrousers said.
Welcome to the real world. Get a longboard.
Preferably a Kona One. Very Happy
chas5131

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know "nuttin" about sex without orgasm.
Smile
Ok, the real world where I live. When I go to the coast will take a shortboard.
How is that?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
What [magazines] depict bears no relevance to the normal windsurfing conditions which most of us are condemned to. Endless articles and pictures of pros doing impossible things in perfect locations isn't going to 'ring my bell

I hear that! I've never even seen those conditions with my own eyes except from shore, too far away to appreciate them and too rarely to give it a second thought. It's just photoshop, not reality, from my perspective. An excellent sailor told me on the beach Monday that he comes to the Gorge each summer because it provides better sailing than his home turf does ... longer rides than the surf and smoother swell outside the surf than he gets at home ... on Maui's windward shore.

Mike \m/
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETE

Last edited by RaceboardDude on Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
RaceboardDude

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETE

Last edited by RaceboardDude on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a good surprise on my "longboard" last weekend. Very Happy Its a ProTech 185L. I picked it up for $10 at a swap meet thinking it was some relic. I only intended to use it when the wind was so light that I would have to uphaul and plod around. I used it last weekend when the wind was low with my 6.5 cammed sail and it was awesome. There wasnt enough wind to do a real waterstart but, it took off like a rocket once I got on it and was on a plane right away and then just went faster and faster. With the rail dug in it went upwind like it had a centerboard and when in displacement mode it just glided right along. Ive never been on a board that felt so calm on a plane, I didnt even feel like I needed to get in the straps. It went from being the old yacht on the back porch to the one I cant wait to use Very Happy (It doesnt hurt that its 185L and weighs a whole 18lbs or so, of course its about as impact resistant as aluminum foil over syrofoam, but I could care less how it looks)
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested many ProTecs, and never met one that didn't perform superbly.

If there's enough wind to plane, there's PLENTY to water start. Work on it. We should be able to WS long before there's enough power to pump onto a plane.

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, any board without a dagger (or center) board,
even a 185 ltr Protech, is called a short board.

Enjoy that board, you couldn't buy better cheap thrills.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
I just had a good surprise on my "longboard" last weekend. Very Happy Its a ProTech 185L. I picked it up for $10 at a swap meet thinking it was some relic. I only intended to use it when the wind was so light that I would have to uphaul and plod around. I used it last weekend when the wind was low with my 6.5 cammed sail and it was awesome. There wasnt enough wind to do a real waterstart but, it took off like a rocket once I got on it and was on a plane right away and then just went faster and faster. With the rail dug in it went upwind like it had a centerboard and when in displacement mode it just glided right along. Ive never been on a board that felt so calm on a plane, I didnt even feel like I needed to get in the straps. It went from being the old yacht on the back porch to the one I cant wait to use Very Happy (It doesnt hurt that its 185L and weighs a whole 18lbs or so, of course its about as impact resistant as aluminum foil over syrofoam, but I could care less how it looks)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: