myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Once upon a time...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toubab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

Here is the Crit 650, that came just before the Crit D2.
The centreboard isn`t retractable so it competes against the 1st Oceanites. It is an evolution of the late Div I toward the Div II, .i.e. become round below and getting volumes.
Never navigated on it. Will see next summer Cool

DSC03566.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  782.35 KB
 Viewed:  27097 Time(s)

DSC03566.JPG

Toubab

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

Here is the Magnum 390 Plus, recently acquired.
It was one of the fastest in the early 80s, competing against Tornado and Oceanites. Very sexy shape, painted blue and white colors (the red was added later). Centreboard is semi retractable.
Not enough volume apparently (more or less 290 Liters). Seemed well designed for light ladies. Didn`t try yet .

Magnum plus.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.13 KB
 Viewed:  27096 Time(s)

Magnum plus.jpg

Toubab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

And now, this other mid-1980s DIV II board (1983-1984), the Hervé Borde .
Completely empty inside. You make a hole, you sink! All sandwich epoxy. Very fragile obviously Confused
Centreboard fully retractable, Volume, around 320-330 litres, weight around 18 kgs.
Very fast in any kind of weather. Competed against the Crit D2, Reix, Lechner L1, L2, Jaguar Elite...Was dethroned later by the Croconuts, Lechner L3...Jaguar, Dobbelmans DB2. DB3, PH1, etc...

I made many races with her and was close to sink several time Laughing
A beautiful beast; I still have it.

P1010151.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  27020 Time(s)

P1010151.JPG

P1010148.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  745.91 KB

P1010148.JPG

P1010089.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.68 MB

P1010089.JPG

NickB

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Div II Reply with quote

Toubab, do you or anyone on your forums remember a brand from Morocco called "Galra"? At first they made the Galra 390 in the late 70's (my first windsurfing experience), then they made one called the Galra Regate 2 in the early 80s. A friend of mine from Casablanca had one back then and I have very fond memories of trying it. Not sure if it qualified as a div II but it sure looked like one, flying fast going upwind on the rail!

Galra must have disappeared early on, because an internet search returns no hit whatsoever...
Toubab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

Hé Nick,

Galra 390 and Regate 2 ? it doesn`t ring a bell but I`ll ask my friends. We never know...
It is unlikley a Div II was shaped in Morocco, a country that never had a tradition to heavily promote windsurfing (although there are fantastic spots here but rather for funboards)...Unless a local shaper made one or several prototypes. This can happen everywhere. Wink

By the way, the Open Divion II class appeared in the early 80s (81-82), following an evolution of the Div I made in late 70s. Boards, originally flat (i.e. Windsurfer, Mistral Competition...) get more and more volumes and became round bottom below. It finally ended up with defined specs set by the IYRU.
Toubab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

Nick,

Sorry but this name (Galra) is unknown for all of us.

May be a different spelling? Confused
NickB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Div II Reply with quote

Hi Toubab, thanks for checking. It must be a different spelling, because it would be amazing that I don't even find one reference of it through google, even after all these years.

The maker was a French guy, and his factory was downtown Casablanca, I actually visited it in the 70's. He was making production boards, first the 390 which was extremely sturdy with a retractable centerboard and looked somewhere in between an original windsurfer and a dufour, then later he expanded into the regatte boards with same form factor as your pictures (and much lighter and fragile than the 390), and he also even started doing short boards in the early eighties. His boards could be seen in many spots around Casablanca (Mohamedia/Manessman, Oued Mella lake (sp?), Rabat lake).

I probably would not be windsurfing today if it wasn't for these boards. I will try to find out more through my father and his friends what was the correct spelling of the brand and/or the name of the maker. Surely someone somewhere remembers Moroccan-made production boards from that period!

I will advise if I find out more, I'm hoping maybe my dad's friends still have theirs or at least a picture of it!
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickB, Toubab, I am not surprised you are not finding any info on this board. I spent some time searching for info on Veplas Burja DII board that was made in Slovenia in early 80's and nothing turned up. And this was very nice and popular production board. Keep digging tho, something will surface.
I did find very interesting article on windsurfing history of Croatian windsurfing club "DSNM Volosko". It is in Croatian, but there are several pictures from DII era. One picture shows trailer full of DII boards. There are few Veplas Burja boards on it (boards with white fin).
Check it out:

http://www.dsnm-volosko-windsurf.hr/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=152

Toubab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Open Div II Reply with quote

Nick,

Yes please check with your friends and family in Morocco if any..May be they have some pictures or can give you the exact name...
What I suspect is that it can be a Div I board, the boards that were just before the Div II, in the late 70s and early 80s, like Jeanneau, Jet GTI, Reix 370, Magnum 370, Starsurf, etc...
They were as long as the Div II but with much less volumes and generally non retractable centreboards..Or it was, as I mentioned before, a DIV II prototype made locally that would be fantastic to retrieve. Surprised

Tramontana,
Wooooowwww! Now you need to retrieve more pics of those Veplas Burjas boards Laughing
Can I use those pics (the ones with boards on trailers, and the lechner navigating) for the FaceBook Open Div II forum?.

Its gonna make our friends turning crazy Smile
I`m glad to see that you guys were also very active in Div II.

Feel free to ask your friends in Croatia joining us ! The more former Div II boarders we are, the better is !
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toubab, those pictures are from Internet, so I don't think you need permission to post them on DII forum.
That is all I could find so far and I feel very lucky about it. I am still looking...it's like treasure hunt Smile .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: