myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Puerto Rico
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Puerto Rico Reply with quote

Anyone here windsurf or kite in PuertoRico? Or have information of spots and consistency and rentals.
Seems Nov was a storied all time month for wind, and now blowing a little.
Target date sometime in March/April.
Windshark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I got is information on Punta Las Marias in San Juan, one of many launches:

http://www.windsurfquest.net/site_zoom.php?siteid=168

Talked to a guy who used to live and sail there on a regular basis. Supposed to be a great spot, some slalom, some wave. He said there is a community storage shed where a local shop (i think) will store your gear nearby.

Its the more popular spot but there are others. Puerto Rico is happnin' man.

www.mariner-sails.com
Mariner Sails Wind and Watersports
longboard08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to hear info about renting gear around Playa Jobos by Isabela. We were there a few yrs back before I started windsurfing (was surfing the killer breaks in NW PR) and Jobos looked to have excellent wave sailing potential--cross shore winds and manageable waves.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
I'm LeeD, who's pioneered many windsurfing and surfing sites on the WestCoast since the late '60's.
My g/f has a house in Fahardo, or something like that, and her parents live in SanJuan still. She watches the kiteboarders at SanJuan, but didn't see any windsurfers her last trip in Oct '10.
I'm set to go sometime in March, will try to bring my own gear, also kitesurf reasonably well (with my own gear), and will probably be the only windsurfer or kiteboarder at any beach I go to.
One way trip for my gear, I also left stuff in SPID and Oahu for years. But now an old fart, more conservative, and maybe the adventure begins anew.... Very Happy Very Happy
I wnd shows 14-25 mph winds almst 20 days a month, with E winds killing the wind like last week. Can it be as consistent as the more popular Carribean spots?
I never liked Maui, prefer Oahu and Kaui for windsurfing.
longboard08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Puerto rico Reply with quote

Hey LeeD, You will never get old if u surf/wind or kite surf / paddle surf, right?! The endless summer rules....if u ever get Playa Jobos wired with gear rental and all, please post your adventure. That place is awesome. We regular surfed there and had post session brews at the bar that's right on the beach, directly facing the famous right hand point break and the blow hole where the legendary cow fell in the ocean. I saw one guy wave sailing free and clear of the surf zone i.e. no crowding. I wasn't windsurfing yet so I'm guessing based on the break, but he should have had some protection due to the point and the prevailing winds there are cross shore. I know it can get real big there but it wasn't while we visited in February. About 4-5 ft, consistent, and steady trade winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks.
I watched lots of Hemmings winning the WorldCup there, my 3rd year of surfing then. Never even considered going there until last month. I usually excell in slightly less tubular stuff, unless it's left me goof. I've got my requisite 50 days in at Pipe up to second reef, but don't do well at Haliewa, OK at Sunset, get snaked at Chun's and Lani's.
brega

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, i'm a local sailor in Puerto Rico. All you need to know should be here:
http://www.windsurfingpr.com/
finally there's some more windsurfers coming, there's too many kites!
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brega....
G/F goes next week for 11 days of exploration.
I won't go until late March. I got all the gear to leave there, the kite stuff, and usually the exploration concepts. I've sailed over 100 days at OceanBeach SanFrancisco, so am looking forwards to Fajardo also.
Thanks again!
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a windsurfer in Fajardo. Access is always the challenge. I use a small boat to get to the reef and islands from the harbor. Caye Algado is nice and flat for windsurfing or kiting but you cannot see it well so you need to know how to find it by boat. Icacos (N,S)and Palominitos (E)are best for kites but can get busy and access is by boat. 7 Seas is the (N,NE) spot, Launch near the entrance to El Faro and Croabas(NE,E,S) from the boat ramp or harbor. In each area you need to know the launches though. The town of Loiza is a wave break just like Puntas but the rivermouth is nearby and the silt makes it difficult to see the coral heads. Launch is in back of the condos in town, the set up is like uppers in Maui(E). Westin Rio Mar has a small launch that leads to a 4 mi reach out to the reef, flat water in between for blasting. Luquillo Beach (not town) Has shore break but also works in (N, NE) flat swell riding mostly. Dakity reef off Culebra is the best kiting around if you can get there, ferry is only 2 dollars however it seems like every one goes by boat and anchors near the reef.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good info, thanks.
G/F is there now, hasn't seen the beach yet, still taking care of niece and nephews. She's a just barely planing windsurfer.
I've been tracking winds in SanJuan, but doesn't seem strong enough although NE.
Dumped her off at United, boy, what a mess. And they wanted to charge $400 for a 91 lbs toy kitchen! Maybe my windsurf gear will never make it there.
I'll remember your post, and will try to contact you sometime late March, when I get to go.
Here in Berkeley, I have 20+ boards, 40+ sails, 15+ masts, and tons of gear, but I guess it can't make it's way to PR without spending lots of money.
Gear I have, but I'm beyond hardship in income.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: