myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Centerboard sluggish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Centerboard sluggish Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Bic 293 Core. Since I bought it, I found the centerboard hard to rotate for up or down position. Even grabbing the knob by hand to push/pull is kind of hard and it becomes next to impossible to operate it with the foot, as it is supposed to operate, because the force exerted on the knob is enough to destabilize the board.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google McLube or Boeshield. Great products that don't migrate like silicone spray does.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Google McLube or Boeshield. Great products that don't migrate like silicone spray does.

Yes, but do I have to take out the centerboard assembly, which is kind of problematic, or can I just lube it through the opening on the deck?

Thanks

Ittiandro
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't know the board, it's not unusual for daggers to stick. First, determine where the friction points are, then maybe sand a little or use McLube on just those points.

I once had a Mistral Equipe II XR and the dagger was always a little hard to move, so I used silicone gel on the gasket on the bottom of the board (inside) to easy the movement. The gasket was stiff and it was hard for the dagger to push through.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with my Kona. I actually broke the plates holding the CB by forcing it when it was stuck. Get McLube Sailkote and apply to the friction points and the gasket. I don't know how the Bic works, but I would be tempted to disassemble the CB apparatus to inspect it and possibly lube internal parts. I was told to only lube the inside and outside of the gasket and never operate the CB out of the water. I ended up lubing much more than that. New CB plates and Sailkote fixed my problem. Good luck.
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to disassemble . Lubing both sides of the gasket once in a while is all you need to do. I had the similar Bic Core 160D 2years ago.
fanaticultrahawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a kona one with a well working cb but board is 5 years old.

should I be puttin this on before a problem starts?
I'd rather not be greasing up things i dont have too

any other cb preventative maintaince I should be doing??
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no Kona expert. If it isn't broke don't fix it is a good rule of thumb. Mine was very difficult to operate, however it is easy to pull the CB on the Kona just to take a look if you are curious about how things are wearing.
outhaul

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dagger board cassette assembly pops out easily, there's a tab that flips up on the front end of the black deck lip of the dagger housing. Flip this tab up and the entire cassette pops out. Use Sailkote Mclube to spray the friction points of the dagger assembly and also liberally spray the dagger gaskets from inside the dagger board slot. Also spray the actual dagger board and work back and forth. Also note, with the Bic system, one must first push back and the down to release the dagger board from the "hook like" nub on the dagger handle. With a bit of lube and practice the Bic system is actually very good and performs well.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McLube works very well on all friction points. In addition, a Bic Techno sailor recommending using extra virgin olive oil for the gasket. Seems it's kind of a normal Techno class tweak.

I've used it on an Exocet Pacer gasket (almost broke the whole thing trying to get c/b down when I first got it) and a Fanatic Megacat. I've used both the spray and normal extra virgin olive oils.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: