myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Downhaul line questions??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Downhaul line questions?? Reply with quote

I've been using the Nautix 4 mm Dynemix line available thru Aerotech for several years and generally it performs very well, however......it does have a tendancy to slip in some mast extension cleats. Seems like it would be better if it were 5mm in diameter.

Does anyone have a 5mm dyneema or similar line they like for downhauls?

Last edited by thombiz on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people who sail lots around the SFBayArea uses a white spectra type line that lasts about 150 days. The reps sell it locally, but I don't know it's name.
Chinnook blue/black waxed line lasts about 30 days.
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinook blue/black line is made by Pelican ....see: http://www.pelicanrope.com/sailboard-uphaul-ropes-marines.html

I found some Samson Amsteel Blue....see: http://www.reddenmarine.com/marine-supplies.cfm/multipurpose-amsteel-blue/samson-rope-amstlblu316/amsteel-blue-3-16-foot-blue.html

I ordered 80' of the Samson Amsteel to give it a try. It seems the key is to find a rope with a high abrasion resistance and works well in cleats. Stretch is not as critical.
grayson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with Nautix Dynemix line. Is it a single-braid Dyneema, or a Dyneema core with an outer braid of another material? I've always been under the impression that single-braid Dyneema/Vectran/etc is notorious for slipping in cleats, so I've never tried it in a downhaul. Would be interested to know if others are using it successfully for downhaul though.

FWIW, I've been using 4mm Marlow Excel Racing (braided Dyneema core with 16-plait polyester cover) lately for all my downhauls among other uses. Holds great in a cleat (including the North Power.XT roller cleat), is pretty low stretch, is inexpensive, and available at any West Marine.

If you want to try something more exotic or high performance, Layline's cordage offerings cover the gamut, including some seriously exotic high-end stuff. Go nuts, and report back on what you find. Cool
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced all my downhauls with white spectra a few years ago. They still look new. I'm guessing they get anywhere from 10 days of use (3.2, 6.2) to 60 days (4.2, 4.7) per year. That's with neither sand nor salt in the mix.

Mike \m/
thombiz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find much about the Nautix Dynemix line. It doesn't seem to stretch and the sheath holds up really well, but I'm not sure why. Perhaps the sheath has some dyneema in it or perhaps it's just a polyester sheath with an abrasion resistant resin applied. Don't know.

The Marlow Excel Racing was one of the lines I considered. How well does the sheath hold up to the cleats?
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on some Spectra I use for my adjustable outhaul, I decided to give Isobars Spectra suggestion a try. Ordered it here: http://rwrope.com/warehouse-specials/3-16-x-50-feet-spectra-12-strand.html

We'll see. Could be a good solution.
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never worn out a Spectra line on any downhaul, including my Formula gear (sail 8.4 - 11.0 get a lot of use and tension). About a $1 a foot, but worth it.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slick stuff. I stopped using a downhaul winch when I started using the spectra line. Seems to last forever. However, it does slip in one of my older extensions so I use regular downhaul line for that extension.

Coachg
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not always the line, cleats wear out also, and it doesn't matter what they are made out of, just sayin'. Neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: