myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sad day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robguidera

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Art Reply with quote

Sad Art was always helpful and friendly and went out of his way for others in need. We will miss him and Thanks to Stephanie and all the others who helped.
pahtoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Art by name, only by his presence at Rowena, smiling in his chair just like the picture here, and by the gentle and helpful chiding he gave me as a newbie rigged all wrong. I'll miss him at Rowena--the quality of light and breeze forever altered by the absence of Art and his sublime smile, as if a grand old admirable pine were suddenly uprooted. Peace unto Art, and blessings to his family, his friends, and those who helped.
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Art's family and friends, deep felt condolences. And to those who tried to save him, my utmost respect.
Art'sonJohn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Thank You Everyone so much for the Kind Words..... Reply with quote

Hello to each and Every One of You who knew, met, or even seen my Dad windsurfing at all the places that you all go to. Thank You so much also for all the kind words ive' read on this forum about my Dad, it is helping during this time of greiving of my Father. Even my other family members have not seen this since i just found you all, so i will show them this forum tommorow.

My name is John, I am his second son of four of his children. I heard from one of his friends, that things were being posted about my Dad shortly after he passed away last Sunday at Rowena. Of course the Family has been so busy trying to take care of things that I didnt get a chance to look into this. My younger Brother, Fiance' and I came down the next day to pick up his van with his belongings, and speak to the Sheriffs department about what happpened, along with the medical examiner. The medical examiner is a very nice person who just happens to be a windsurfer as well, and told us that he recognized or knew my Dad as soon as he saw him. That was like wow... what can i say...

For those who may not have known, but last Sunday Father's Day, the Day that he Passed Away was also his 75th Birthday. My Younger Brother and I wanted to take him out or do something speacial for him beacause of the big '75', but like always, My Dad's Love of Windsurfing was more important to him then celebrating his own Birthday! We were going to do something maybe the next week. (unless the wind is good again).

One thing that we still do not know, is who actually was there and saw what happened, or like i read was performing CPR on him, or just helping in some way. It truly would be so nice to get in touch with them and get there account. Also would like to thank them so much, i cannot express in words the feeling i have for those trying to save my Dad or help in anyway they could, who is the Lady who supposedly was performing the CPR? She is a Angel to me....

My Dad did not want to have any type of formal funeral service, but we may be having a wake for him somewhere on a Saturday, where anyone who would like to stop by and say hi, or hang out and tell us more of the Windsurfing side of my Dad that we dont even know.

Ill keep in touch with you all.... Sincerely John Loh
Here is a nice picture of him for you all to see...

dad1.jpg
 Description:
My Dad Art...He was trying to make a funny face!
 Filesize:  197.94 KB
 Viewed:  18436 Time(s)

dad1.jpg

markandmonique

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, your dad Art and my dad Romeo Pelletier were long time sailing buddies at the event site, and Art often stopped by my parent's house to have a beer, enjoy some food, and share stories of sailing and having fun. They were always cracking each other up!

Your dad was awesome and such a fixture in The Gorge. He will be missed by a lot of people here.

Here is a quick note from my dad via Facebook I wanted to share:

REST IN PEACE OLD FRIEND!!!! I miss you ALREADY...Just a few short stories,,, ...Several times he'd loan me one of his WINDSURF sails to try out. Bringing it back in, he'd ask me, "YOU LIKE IT ROMEO"??? "YEA". "I'll sell it to you"...Sell it my ass!!! I would have to fight with him to pay for it, sometimes hiding money in his van to pay up... "... Other times he would stop by the house and give me one of his FAVORITE packs of "RICE CAKES" he often bought in SEATTLE...He would then say,,,"I BOUGHT TWO, BUT ATE ONE ON THE WAY DOWN"...I WILL ALWAYS MISS YOU and I hope you find "GOOD WINDS" in heaven...---ROMEO PELLETIER---

When my dad saw the picture of him sitting in the chair:

WOW!!! I can still see the KNOT under his right knee... Asked him about it once/ he replied. "Its from leaning on the top RUNG of a stepladder when I do ceiling electrical work"...I replied, "ART,,,You must be working to HARD"...---ROMEO---
SeaTurtle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art always made me laugh. Last August a little white dog name Cedra jumped up to the floor of his van and ate his hamburger. I dropped off my rig, went and told Art. He laughed and said the dog probably was hungrier than he was. He and his happiness will be greatly missed by all of us at Rowena.
merriam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: A charming man Reply with quote

John, we knew your dad's smile and friendly banter. Hard to believe he was 75 years old. I think he was assisted by a friend of ours who I will send a message to contact you about the details. Also, my wife experienced a cardiovascular anomaly less than a week before your father passed away, ironically also at Rowena. There is a little known condition called "immersion pulmonary edema" we are trying to sleuth the deaths of other unknown windsurfing incidents and would appreciate knowing what the coroners report of your father's cause of death was. I'm sure he was a great father and left an impressive legacy!
Tom Merriam
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Art - You've been a welcoming and pleasant presence at almost every sailing spot in The Gorge for as long as I can remember.

Will miss your soft spoken friendliness.

The "Lazy R" won't be the same without you and sorry my dog ate your hamburger. Smile

CU Sailin' Art!

bigswellhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Informal Get Together for Art! Reply with quote

For those who knew Art Loh, we would like to have an informal celebration of his life. Quite a few of us wanted to just share stories and a toast to Art! We are looking at the Best Western Hood River Inn on Friday, 5-7pm on July 1st.
Bret

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will miss you and so will all of us. You have been a great inspiration to windsurfing life. I would drive out on a hot day in Portland and go to Nuke Alley expected to be the only one there only to find 2 or three other cars there and there was the silver beautiful Volkswagen with the "Typoon" license plates.

No matter where I went I could always get a great smile, and I always asked him something about the beach. One of my last conversations I had was his experience when his board got away from him at Rowena. He swam and swam but it got away. He got his board back on the West Doug's and he made it back to Rowena. That happened many years ago, yet he shared. He was a real laid back wonderful person. If you asked he had story's to tell. He is a legend!

Art, Thank you for the help and advice over the years. I will miss you dearly! Bret

n1050456805_429039_1376947.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.58 KB
 Viewed:  18222 Time(s)

n1050456805_429039_1376947.jpg

Last edited by Bret on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:10 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: