myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gill Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="isobans"]
cgoudie1 wrote:
Mr Bans, Perhaps you should try Haiku. ;*)

Here ya go Goudie:

Google 'isobars'
Cut and Paste
Find and Replace

I think Isobans' (formerly posting as Colorit, a Colorado-based IT wanker) problem speaks for itself and is reflected in his (probably mutual) opinion of Portland, posted by him recently:

Portland, Oregon sucks as a place to live ...
Portland Weather Sucks ...
Portland Traffic Sucks ...
Portland Taxes Suck ...
Portland Government Sucks ...
the "nanny state" treatment of its citizens sucks ...

[didn't do your homework before moving there, did you?]

Portland People Suck ... feeble brains ...

Portland Recreation Sucks ... Recreation is available, but it is far outside the city, I had to drive over 45 miles each way just to go mountain biking.[IT'S A CITY, DUDE. What did you expect?] ...

The Columbia River Gorge is there for windsurfing (for the couple months out of the year it's not drizzling and miserable) ... [Uh, that's about seven continuous months, dude, plus bonus winter days or even whole months] ...

to drive to it from the west side of Portland could easily take up to an hour [that's why a thinking WSer lives on the east side] ...

In the two years I lived there I made two good friends [That's quite an achievement, considering your attitude.]

Colorit, you can write well when you try. You might want to consider using your ability constructively.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nets were stretched across the entire jibeatorium as well as just upwind of the middle launch today. Add in the crappy wind and I just said "to hell with it" and left. In the brief time I was there, I saw three people get pulled by the current into the nets. So much for the Hatchery as a launch. Guy next to me at the launch was saying he's been sailing there for 25 years and never had seen this before.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brevity and mirth
Summer style
Draws a smile

;*)

-Craig

p.s. I'm not finding the Gill Nets that big a difficulty so far, but it does
make Geriatric Cove look like a lemming exodus.

[quote="isobans"]
cgoudie1 wrote:
Mr Bans, Perhaps you should try Haiku. ;*)

Here ya go Goudie:

Google 'isobars'
Cut and Paste
Find and Replace
LAWLER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Nuts for nets Reply with quote

The net currently at Rowena is very poorly marked. The big white floats would be nice.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have my first ever Gorge trip planned this weekend. Hopefully I'll have my first ever Gorge session this Monday! Where are the nets right now? Are you saying we can't actually sail the Hatch safely, or more importantly for me, is the area where the freestyle guys normally hang out covered in fishing nets? Maybe I'll pack my weed fins too and just coast over the nets. Where else do I need to be worried about the nets getting in the way? I'm not so concerned for myself, but my wife will also be sailing too, and she spends way more time in the water than I do and it takes her a while to get up sometimes.

Thanks,

Mike Burns
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nets are placed by individual indians fishing the Columbia. There is no way for us as windsurfers to determine with any accuracy where or when nets will be placed.

Before making a decision to sail at a given site, check the launch and ask local windsurfers if and where nets are placed that day. Then decide if you can live with that and can sail safely there, given your skill level. Then decide whether to rig or to go to another site.

Also when sailing, as you approach either shore of the river keep a sharp eye out for nets, they are easy to spot, there is a large float on either end, and small ones to keep the net up. Give them a wide margin, and you will be fine. The shape of the net indicates which way the current is flowing through the net. Do not sail up current from a net. If you fall, you will be drawn into the net. They are commenly placed in a back eddy, so the current there is flowing up river. Nets are placed near the shore to keep them out of the main river current and shipping lanes.

It's a big river. The nets are no big deal if you keep your wits about you.
Keep the above in mind and have fun

KMF

KMF
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Maybe as a 1st session, you and your wife might prefer
Stevenson (or even Rowena) to the Hatchery, just to
get a feel for things.

-Craig

mewindsurf wrote:
Hey guys,

I have my first ever Gorge trip planned this weekend. Hopefully I'll have my first ever Gorge session this Monday! Where are the nets right now? Are you saying we can't actually sail the Hatch safely, or more importantly for me, is the area where the freestyle guys normally hang out covered in fishing nets? Maybe I'll pack my weed fins too and just coast over the nets. Where else do I need to be worried about the nets getting in the way? I'm not so concerned for myself, but my wife will also be sailing too, and she spends way more time in the water than I do and it takes her a while to get up sometimes.

Thanks,

Mike Burns
dude-bro-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP CRYING ABOUT IT
AND BE A MAN, CUT THEM

mewindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the advise on the nets. Doesn't sound like too big a deal. I had visions of multiple permanent lines all over the place. If they're just something that somebody is putting in every day, it doesn't seem all that bad. Some of these guys were making it sound like they're unavoidable, and hidden under the water. Looking forward to my first sesh at the Hatch or Dougs on Monday morning, then we'll go find a spot that my wife might like better after we see what's around. We got a nice warm up out here in NN this week, with 3 30 mph days! Now I'm really psyched! Packing the gear tomorrow morning!

Thanks,

Mike
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mewindsurf wrote:
...... Looking forward to my first sesh at the Hatch or Dougs on Monday morning, then we'll go find a spot that my wife might like better after we see what's around. We got a nice warm up out here in NN this week, with 3 30 mph days! Now I'm really psyched! Packing the gear tomorrow morning!

Thanks,

Mike

You have it on good authority it ill be windy Monday morning??? If you are right, I vote we sign you up for the Gorge Ambassador position. We could use some good wind karma around here.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: