myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stolen board :-(
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsurfca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Stolen board :-( Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

My 2004 AHD F-Type 60 board was stolen from the back of a friend's pickup this Saturday afternoon in Sausalito. I had put it there (yes, stupidly) believing it would be ok for a few minutes and when I came back it was gone. Attached is a picture. Unfortunately I did not have my info on it as I just bought it (used) from Delta Windsurfing Co.

If anyone happens to see/find/recover the board, please let me know by replying to this post.

Thanks,
Brian

Photo 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.59 KB
 Viewed:  24583 Time(s)

Photo 2.JPG

Photo 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.06 KB
 Viewed:  24583 Time(s)

Photo 1.JPG

a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks. I've got the same board, same colors, mine is 96 liter (can't tell, but yours looks like 91?). It's probably only worth about $200, maybe at bit more, at this point, but I'd still be bummed to lose mine.
I've only seen 1 other similar model in the entire bay area, so it's pretty distinctive. I'll keep a look-out for you. JK
windsurfca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Yes, it is a 91 liter. Perfect for me, 140 lbs. but all heart! lol
b-
cruzanboard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Spread the Thread Reply with quote

Bummer to hear of the WS steal. I figure my gear in the back of my open truck is safe since WS gear is not too popular. Im exploring different WS sites in the bay area. Which ones have more risk of WS gear steal? I do Sherman regular and its fine. Done Coyote a few times and seems OK too.
Any bay area sites with a greater chance of WS gear burglary???
faradroka1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley marina can be sketchy offset by the contact high you get from rigging downwind of the 420s...

I've had guys come up to me in home depot parking lots asking if the equipment is expensive. Oh no I say, worthless, nobody's doing it anymore.

you've heard of an "honest man's lock" right? wrap a 20ft bike lock cord through the footstraps and throw a 5 dollar combination lock on it. 60% of the time it works every time....
windsrf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think unsecured gear is safe anywhere. My two boards were stolen from roofrack right in front of our house at Noon - just backed up a van, cut the straps, and off they went. My wife walked by and saw them sitting there preparing to "do the deed" and didn't realize what was about to happen. Of course, that was maybe 20 years ago now - back in the heyday of windsurfing?
Short time periods of "goodies exposure" also don't work, just ask any contractor.
Good point though about maybe underplaying the costs of our gear to strangers.
Sorry to hear, David
windsurfca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Good news - board recovered! Reply with quote

Yea, I couldn't believe it either but I got a call that my board had been recovered. Turns out the guy that took it was trying to break into someone's truck, the same day, with the board under his arm! The truck owner catches him and yells, the bum runs off leaving the board laying on the ground. Long story short - I got my board back!! Wow, talk about luck... No more Mr. trusting guy anymore.

Thanks everyone,

Brian
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got the board back!

If this happens to someone else I suggest using a craigslist watcher such as from http://www.cldesktop.com/ to keep an automated eye out...
windsurfca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Craigslist watcher Reply with quote

I was watching manually on CL. I never heard of an automated page like that. Thanks, hopefully I won't need it!
b-
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thinks its really useful as the dirtbags that steal stuff will wait a while before putting it on CL or put it on CL in another city.

PS As soon as I get a new board I always take a photo of the board and in particular the serial number so I have that as proof of ownership.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: