myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kitemare at Sherman Island yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hauser wrote:
Carol, you ROCK! How fantastic to be so aware of what's going on around you, and then to immediately not only take action, but the right action. It's great to know that there are people like you around, and you're an inspiration to everyone to pay attention and help out on the water.

Absolutely!
Thank you Carol for stepping up and taking action. We're all water users and we need to remember to look out for one another. You saved a life ... there's no greater gift than that.

Cheers to you!

mtraveler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars:
Quote:
How many people have been killed or maimed by kiting? By WSing?
(Not by hypothermia, or heart attacks, or trying to cross oceans ... by the dang equipment and misuse thereof?)
Now add percentages to the equation to highlight the difference.
Example: the No Fear dimwit in our local newspaper trying to figure out how to manage all them strings as he gets launched ON LAND, by a bud who's ever seen a kite, in extremely gusty urban 40 mph winds upwind of jetties in midwinter. Tell us he's not being an idiot.

I rest my case.

yes, yes, I get it, Kite Surfer(BAD) Wind Surfer(GOOD)... thanks for the morality lesson!

Again you use the word "idiot" yes I agree he is an idiot! What's your point... that all kite surfers are idiots! Yah, I have never seen a wind surfer being an idiot! Do you tell people not to Drive because it is "DEADLY"! Lets compare those statistics?

GET A GRIP MAN!

We get it... you don't like kite surfing! So stay doing what you do, you will not break my heart!

clifton

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Thanks Carol and Sam Reply with quote

Stopped by the sign yesterday @ low tide. Sam (the guy who assisted Carol in cutting the lines) and I looked over the spot carefully and could see no debris. I have no part in this other than just trying to make peace. Kiting is a dangerous sport and experienced kiters share the same fear as others when it comes to people who attempt this sport without the necessary lessons, practice, and precautions. Thanks to Carol and Sam for your selfless assistance! BTW I have no part in this other than I love Sherman Island all my kiting and windsurfing friends and only want there to be harmony and brotherhood that should be a part of our magical place. Yes I am a kiter Smile
pukalani

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Kiters and Windsurfers should Pay it forward Reply with quote

I kite and windsurf. I've had my lines get wrapped around my ankles at Third Avenue a few years back. ALWAYS bring a sharp knife with you anytime you go out. I was kiting at Crissy a few weeks back and rescued a windsurfer who had his mastbase broke (lost his whole rig). My Oceanus retractable leash came in really handy.
kiteass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtraveler wrote:
isobars wrote:
Every time some "civilian" who knows I WS asks me , "I want to try them kite thingies. How are they?", my short answer is "Deadly. They can kill and maim people, whereas in WS we can just let go." I know they're getting safer, but every time I consider saying, "They're great. Go get one", I see or hear of another idiot doing something stupid on one. Anyone who treats them like toys is heading for a harsh lesson in reality.

Mike \m/

PATHETIC AND IGNORANT! Lame attempt at preserving your windsurfing way of life! You did use the appropriate word "idiot" they are in every sport!

oh come on all kiters are idiots no exceptions...and everything they do is stupid...
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mtraveler wrote:
Isobars:
Quote:
How many people have been killed or maimed by kiting? By WSing?
(Not by hypothermia, or heart attacks, or trying to cross oceans ... by the dang equipment and misuse thereof?)
Now add percentages to the equation to highlight the difference.
Example: the No Fear dimwit in our local newspaper trying to figure out how to manage all them strings as he gets launched ON LAND, by a bud who's ever seen a kite, in extremely gusty urban 40 mph winds upwind of jetties in midwinter. Tell us he's not being an idiot.

I rest my case.

yes, yes, I get it, Kite Surfer(BAD) Wind Surfer(GOOD)... thanks for the morality lesson!

Again you use the word "idiot" yes I agree he is an idiot! What's your point... that all kite surfers are idiots! Yah, I have never seen a wind surfer being an idiot! Do you tell people not to Drive because it is "DEADLY"! Lets compare those statistics?

GET A GRIP MAN!

We get it... you don't like kite surfing! So stay doing what you do, you will not break my heart!

Reading problem? My point is that kiting equipment has hazards WSing gear lacks. Individuals who don't recognize that are not being realistic, some to the point of idiocy.
syncroone

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll never get picked up and slammed into a building while windsurfing but at the same time it is a lot harder to get 30 ft of air!
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kite, I windsurf (more - It is more fun - kitesurfing is less fun but it is still fun - just not as much fun - I like wake boarding too - but not as much as kitesurfing - waterskiing is better than wake boarding - swimming, not so much - floating on a raft with a beer in hand, now thats a sport not just everyone understands, drinking alcoholic beverages while near the water is dangerous - but not as dangerous as kiteboarding.)
Even the very best kitesurfers (no matter how careful they are) are at risk of injury and in far great proportion than windsurfers or beer drinkers (maybe not). I have been wrapped in lines and caught up in friends lines. It is dangerous.
Ask Kinsley.
Do it anyway. Just try to be careful.
mustard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@clifton
Thanks for checking...seems to me that there is more energy put toward banter and childish misjudgement (part of the problem) than there is addressing the real issue which is removing or recognizing the hazards that present to all water users (part of the solution).

Can we plan to further investigate this tangle, with at least two people and sharp knives or scissors, or end the topic?

I am willing to schedule some time, anyone else?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten 30 feet of air MANY times ... off cornices and sand dunes ... but I could always, and sometimes did, let go and push my snowmobile or dirt bike away from me. Apparently that's still not easy on a kite, and the issue in this thread is safety, not altitude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: