myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to SF and redesigning my quiver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brings up a question. I've always had my sail sizes 1/2 meter apart. With modern sails having such a wide range I was thinking about making that spread .7 meters apart. I haven't spent enough time on my Ezzys to tell but so far they seem to have a very wide range.
damel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
Put a cargo box on the roof of your car to store your sails. I live near Pacific Heights and park my car on the street. Sometimes I leave a board in the car but not if it is forecast to be warm. Pacific Heights is a good location. A little pricey but 5 minutes from Crissy Field.

Good call on the cargo box. Pricey for sure but when we saw a smaller place in Inner Richmond go for the same price we decided to pull the trigger.

As for the sail sizes I totally agree that modern day sails cover a larger range. I find it strange everyone thinks of sail sizes in steps rather than a percent change. For example 5.5-6=9% is a smaller percentage step than 4.0-4.5=12.5%. Taking into account the fact we are talking about m^2 the linear %chgs are 8.2% compared to 15.6%.

Simply put as sails get smaller it takes less of a change in the area to make them feel smaller or larger. As a result my quiver is setup with small changes in small sail sizes and then a larger gap in the bigger ones:
3.7(wish list)-4.1-4.5-5.0-5.8-6.6(sold)-9.5(stopped using)
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Isobars, here,s another chance to pontificate about something you know nothing about. Don't be slacking.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
I've always had my sail sizes 1/2 meter apart. With modern sails having such a wide range I was thinking about making that spread .7 meters apart. I haven't spent enough time on my Ezzys to tell but so far they seem to have a very wide range.

I've built shorter and more widely spaced quivers, and a bud's quiver is 3.2/4.2/5.2. With tuning, skill, and confidence while overpowered, they work fine. I'll often rig just a 4.X and a 6.2, and swap back and forth with major wind changes. However, widespread quivers' reduced overlap limits redundancy if damage is a concern, and there's nothing like being on juuuuuuuust the right sail on a steady day. Next best is being on a sail that is never overwhelmed or unable to plane throughout a long session or a whole day, which often uses that wide wind range to the max. MANY days I see full-sized guys trudging back and forth through the wind shadow swapping sails, trying in vain to make everything from a 4.2 to a 5.7 work, while my 6.2 just sings for hours, maybe even all day. I could damned near get by with a 6.2, a 4.2, a 3.5 and two boards for all my windsurfing, but Idonwanna. My main concession has been dropping the 2.8s and the 7.5s; neither got used.

Then there's inertia. We've (almost) always bought half-meter spacing below roughly 7 meters.

Mike \m/
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your quiver seems to make a lot of sense. You will mostly sail 4.5 and 5.0, particularly at Crissy and 3rd. There will be very few days you will need anything smaller than a 4.0 around here. If you see something used at a swap, grab it and have it for a random trip up to Tomales or out to the Delta on a big day.
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you could do it, bud!
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damel wrote:

Simply put as sails get smaller it takes less of a change in the area to make them feel smaller or larger. As a result my quiver is setup with small changes in small sail sizes and then a larger gap in the bigger ones:

Glad you kept the 5.8! To chime in: sure if you sail only April to early September, and you sail when the wind is 20 knots (at most 50% of the days May to August), then (dah!) 5.0 and below might be all you need. Otherwise the Bay area is blessed by a lot of different winds between February and October and one or two sails in between 6.0 and 8.0 give you a huge number of extra days on the water.

To be completely honest I never really understood why we get trapped in the 5.0 or nothing hole ... a windsurfer works wonderfully in light air, and the new stuff is so light and well built that a big sail does not feel big at all, and has a huge range.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
damel wrote:

Glad you kept the 5.8! To chime in: sure if you sail only April to early September, and you sail when the wind is 20 knots (at most 50% of the days May to August), then (dah!) 5.0 and below might be all you need. Otherwise the Bay area is blessed by a lot of different winds between February and October and one or two sails in between 6.0 and 8.0 give you a huge number of extra days on the water.

To be completely honest I never really understood why we get trapped in the 5.0 or nothing hole ... a windsurfer works wonderfully in light air, and the new stuff is so light and well built that a big sail does not feel big at all, and has a huge range.

I weigh 170lbs and sail 5.0 and below 95% of the time. I have a 5.6 that mainly collects dust. I've sailed over 100 days this year. Your statistic of <50% is completely bunk, in my opinion. I've been sailing over 20 days each month for the last 4 months, that's with taking at least 5 break days a month.

If someone is willing to drive a little bit, they don't really need anything bigger than a 5.0 or 5.2 to get a ton of sailing. It really depends on what you want to do. If you decide to stick to one or two spots (particularly in the east bay), then buy yourself a bigger sail to save yourself the drive.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

human_catapult wrote:
dvCali wrote:
damel wrote:

I weigh 170lbs and sail 5.0 and below 95% of the time. I have a 5.6 that mainly collects dust. I've sailed over 100 days this year. Your statistic of <50% is completely bunk, in my opinion. I've been sailing over 20 days each month for the last 4 months, that's with taking at least 5 break days a month.

If someone is willing to drive a little bit, they don't really need anything bigger than a 5.0 or 5.2 to get a ton of sailing. It really depends on what you want to do. If you decide to stick to one or two spots (particularly in the east bay), then buy yourself a bigger sail to save yourself the drive.

Watch out HC! Haskins is going to get crowded!

Steve
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
I never really understood why we get trapped in the 5.0 or nothing hole

Simple: terrain. Many of us get bored to death on flat water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: