myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Event Site Users- Make your voices heard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did read the entire post, and do not follow any train of clear, concise logic. It may be there, but perhaps I can't see it. Regardless, I don't believe you and I will find much common ground on this, and I mean no disrespect towards you in saying that.

Where I come from is, "The only constant, is change." Believing this to be the case, how can users of all types be involved in the process to make it workable for all. This is in part why I use my real name in all of my posts. I believe I have a fair, and balanced approach without attempting to push any user group out of the negotiations, nor the end result. What I sense from you is, "Leave things as they are." Again, that is most certainly your right. However, I don't believe the status quo is workable, nor realistic. As the kiting population continues to grow I think it will become less and less realistic and workable. After many hours of discussion with shop owners, windsurfing schools, long time Event Site windsurfers, newer kiters, long term kiters who switched over from windsurfing, and families of mixed use wind sporters like my own, I feel what I have proposed to The Port is a very fair, and balanced approach. You of course, are free to disagree.

Best,
Eric Cohn
Hood River
katosandog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your position Eric, and I guess I have to disagree. I know expanded rights for kiters at the Event Site will discourage some windsurfers; I have no to way to quantity the number. If we push those people out, that's just the way the cookie crumbles, right?

Rick Hoff
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not to push anyone out, Rick--truly.

Some folks will choose to leave as the crowd grows, no question about that, just as I did back in 2000 at the Hatchery windsurfing when I had a windsurfer/windsurfer collision. Too crowded and no longer for me. The crowd of kiters will grow near the Event Site regardless of where they launch, however.

For example, the change I see over the last three years at the Hatchery is that there are a lot more kiters going up there now, who launched from Hood River. The pattern there is shaping up to be lower Hatch = kite, in front of Hatch = windsurf, between Cheap and Hatch = kite, in front of Cheap = windsurf, between Cheap and Swell = kite, Swell = windsurf, and west of Swell = kite. A lot of kiters are moving to surfboards so I expect to see a significant increase of kiters up there over the next two years, even if growth were to flatten out next year--which it won't. As I am sure you know, the White Salmon bridge is mostly kite now, as the really annoying wind shadow for windsurfers near the bridge and often the best swell is not an issue for kites. There is plenty of wind 15' up, so we can enjoy the swell that is often wind shadowed for windsurfers.

There is nothing any of us can do about a more crowded river due to increasing numbers of kiters, or another windsports user on the river. At some point growth will flatten out, but we are not there yet. However, there are things we can do to mitigate crowds near access points. This is in part why the kite access at the Event Site would not be open all summer if I had my way: sand only between July 1 and Labor Day. Assuming a 12 week summer, that is 9 weeks of restricted kite access. Kiters also want to see a high water plan in place when we get another high water year/episode. This is at least part of the "Kiters want to take over the Event Site" horror stories that you hear. What most of us actually want is to avoid the angst festival brought about by high water this year--"How can I launch?!".

I believe windsurfers and kiters can conjoin and try and make the contingency launch be expanded marina access, rather than Event Site extension into the aforementioned dates. Most kiters just want a piece of real estate to get their kite up in the air to get onto the water. It's pretty much that simple.

Best,
Eric Cohn
phazle5499

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric you assume that "the only constant is change" and that my position is "to leave things as they are". Nothing could be further from the truth. I am agreeing with you. "The only constant is change" But I believe that the change should be to separate kiters from windsurfers Kiters could launch and land at the Marina, or raise the money and effort needed to develop alternative sites along the river. That would constitute real change. You, on the other hand, appear to want to "leave things as they are" and only expand what is already there. Your entitled to your opinion, of course. I just don't see how it makes much sense.
ericandholly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes no sense to me is a position of, for lack of a better term, entitlement to the Event Site. Like I said, a lot of us kiters are former windsurfers and helped pay for it. I have also made the point that the Event Site is on Hood River Port property, thus, as a resident of Hood River I in fact do own a part of it. Your logic seems to me to be based upon, "This s how it has been, thus this is how it shall stay." I have addressed the 'ownership/fund raising' by CGWA" ad nausea and am done with that point.

Your position is not reasonable, nor viable from my stand point, though I respect your right to express it.

I think I am done--again. Smile

Regards,
Eric Cohn
phazle5499

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, you miss my point---again. What I'm saying is "this is how it has been" in Hood River and it's now time for a change. Separate the launching and landing of winsurfers and kiters as it is done in most other high usage places (for example, Maui). It's not about ownership or entitlement. It's about---again---common sense.
GarryW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each time The Port extended kiter use of the Event Site I was concerned that if you give them an inch they'll take a foot. Give them a foot and they'll take a mile. I hope that's not the case but it sure looks that way.
Bret

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

I agree with you and support your efforts. I use my real name too, and yes there will be more kites on the river. I have been sailing at Mosier over the years and it's all good in a tight rocky launch we all Windsurfers and Kiters make it great.

This should not be such an argument at the event site people. The event site needs a Kiting area and a Windsurfing area. Intermediate sailors can sail there gee anyone can. It's fricking Hood River! Make it happen set the example! Either way the sand is building so the launch will move on Westward over the next few years, and it will be one happy sandy beach.
tweeky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phazle5499 wrote:
actually, you miss my point---again. What I'm saying is "this is how it has been" in Hood River and it's now time for a change. Separate the launching and landing of winsurfers and kiters as it is done in most other high usage places (for example, Maui). It's not about ownership or entitlement. It's about---again---common sense.

I couldn't agree more... so the question is, where are we going to move all the windsurfers from the Event Site? Wink

Seriously though, when you have 100 kites on the Event Site grass, easily another 100 on the water, vs less than 40 windsurfers total, which group does your "common sense" tell you needs to be moved?
ericandholly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bret. I think the cooperative, positive vibe at Rock Creek could be a model for just about any polarized issue. My wife and I, along with two mixed use Mosier families we are friends with often go there.

Ironic that the site with the least space and one of the most established Windsurfing launches has the best vibe

Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: