myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone at the event site see me thrashing around sat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Good rule of thumb is, if you have the same kind of sails, company and models, for every 60 lbs., one meter difference. That's just a rule of thumb, as some guys +60 prefer .6 difference, some 1.5 differences.
So for 30 lbs., half a meter.
Most important is to sail with a sail you can handle, and learn to waterstart and jibe with a sail you can sail with.
If you're 205 lbs., you need a 6.0 to waterstart in winds from 12 to 30. Some 205 lbs guys can waterstart in 12 with a 5 meter sail, but they've been at it a while and usually are good sailors already.

thats about what I figured. Im around there and was using a 5.7 sat when everyone else was around 4.7
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larrew32 wrote:
Here's some free online videos I saved long ago...

http://www.boardseekermag.com/technique/the-beachstart-147.html

thanks, ill check them out. I have the beginner to winner set, which is pretty good. Ive found most tend to leave out things that are so second nature to people that have been doing it for a while that it doesnt even occur to them to mention it. The main details will be good but there always seems to be something lost.
awindwoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit the Hood River swap meets. You might find a great deal! Look at http://gorgewindsurfing.org for dates.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awindwoman wrote:
Hit the Hood River swap meets. You might find a great deal! Look at http://gorgewindsurfing.org for dates.

Ill be at the one this weekend for sure, super early to see if CGWA has a suitable wide/volume board. Very Happy
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will learn that if you are a beginner or intermediate sailor that checking out what other's sail won't always work. Experienced sailors can get by with smaller gear than you and be happy. Also some people like to sail overpowered so checking out the gear won't always get you set up right. Use it as a "general idea". Also as a beginner-intermediate you will need a larger sail to get going.

I'm curious about your location. The sandbar? Are there other windsurfers or just kiters? I know a lot of windsurfers learning waterstarts will to to the west end of The Hook and practice on the main river side.

Last swap meet of the year this Sunday at The Expo Center in Hood River....
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Windsurfing is a balance sport once you always plane. If you need the width to stand up, you aren't learning balance.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there.. talking about planning is where the balancing part begins, and then that width some how hampers learning to balance when "standing up", which sounds to me like non-planning sailing.

Regardless, there's no disputing the fact that wide-style boards completely revolutionized the sport in terms of making it more accessible for beginners. Wide-style boards like Starboard's "GO" compared to the 80's era floating sidewalks are stable, and plane up faster, and are much more forgiving to errant stance or foot pressure. Long & narrow is great when you already know how to sail, but wider boards allow beginners to work on all the skills required to learn to windsurf successfully... balancing on the board, balancing the sail, learning sail control, going upwind, bearing off, tacking, non-planing jibes... all of these skills will be learned much easier on a wide style board.

If you're saying ya gotta work with what you got, you'll get no argument from me. But if you're trying to imply the modern gear holds people back, I totally disagree and would say its pretty obvious the opposite is true. I've seen old guys getting their buddies on super old gear taking YEARS to learn what someone in with modern, well-chosen gear learns in WEEKS. My wife was using her harness, both footstraps, planing, and able to go upwind within her first 12 times out. I've seen guys take literally two full seasons just to start getting into their first footstrap because they spent all their energy uphauling an old, narrow board, falling in, rounding up wind, etc. As a matter of fact, some even developed really bad habits/awkward stances/inability to get the board planing because they were struggling with the old narrow design. Sure, you can learn on old gear. Its just going to take a lot longer and you'll probably develop some bad habits along the way.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Last swap meet of the year this Sunday at The Expo Center in Hood River....

Correction: second last. The Big One is Labor Day Sunday.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
Im around there and was using a 5.7 sat when everyone else was around 4.7

There are many reasons people use much bigger sails than others their size:
• Simple preference. Some folks like a lot of power, some don't.
• Sailing style: freestyle, racing, B&J, waves all favor different amounts of power.
• Inefficiency ... common among novices and many advanced sailors.
• Racing: the guy who isn't fully powered in the lulls will lose to the guy who is.
• Safety: extra power averts many a loooong swim if the wind backs off, especially important after sunset.
• Equipment: board and fin size and type and sail design all influence sail size.
• Maneuvering: virtually any maneuver scrubs off speed; it takes power, patience, and/or pumping to recover it.

I figure I'm rigged about right if the time I can't plane = the time I'm no longer in control when standing on my board. Skill, equipment, and confidence in both of those can often shrink both those fringe times to near zero, and may allow the occasional use of one sail all day .... a rarity around here.

Mike \m/
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id rather use a smaller sail, but my low power waterstarts arent great, when Im powered up I have no problem.

Quote:
I'm curious about your location. The sandbar? Are there other windsurfers or just kiters? I know a lot of windsurfers learning waterstarts will to to the west end of The Hook and practice on the main river side.

the regular sandbar right next to the event site. Kiter land, though there were a lot of windsurfers over there that day since the kiters were moving of onto the sandbar. Ive been having much better luck and more fun just at the main event site, but I usually avoid it when its crowded so that I dont get in everyones way.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Im taking the E-rock out today since theres enough wind for it. If anyone sees me on the yellow/pink Erock (probably with a pinkish sail since thats what my 4.7 is Embarassed ) Feel free to come tell me im doing it wrong, I dont expect to go very far but it would be awesome if I did Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: