myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing with a wavejet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Windsurfing with a wavejet Reply with quote

Just came across something called a wavejet which is a sort of a motor that powers you along 5-10mph...http://wavejet.com

Im curious what would happen on a windsurfer...I guess it should reduce the planing threshold drastically without having to use gigantic sails....wats ur take on it?

Also how fast does a windsurf board need to move on water to stay planing?..Im not talking about wind speed here but board speed.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that thing looks pretty cool, but I doubt it would help a windsurfer much. My experiments with my GPS showed that using a non-formula, non-longboard on a freshwater lake, I would start planing at around 13-15 mph. The Wavejet only goes 5-10, so I'm not sure if it would help much. Maybe if the wind dropped to zero you could get going on a sinker enough to get back to shore, but don't think that's worth $4600..

I'd like to try the longboard surfboard version, that seems like a good idea.

rgomez

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...So say I have 6 knots wind and need 10knots to plane. Wouldnt this gizmo help?

And how about the upwide performance...shouldnt it keep me upwind faster.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen a 13 year old surfing with one. he had the beginnings of obesity going on already. could see the practicality for someone that wants to extend a session at a long riding point break, but to serve the lazy parts of our lives, it's kinda sad.

BTW, i wouldn't be against using one in side off 5-35 mph days like i had on tuesday. waves were 12 foot at the peak, and extensive 8 foot shoulders. had to be willing to get rinsed if i got stuck in the middle break with the wind lulled. good times, overall.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rich1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it will only push a board to 10mph, does not mean it wouldn't help in early planing. Extra push is extra push. Theoretically you should be able to plane in lighter winds as the sail and the wave jet each contribute thrust.

I would love to try one out built into a windsurfer, but I have to agree, $4600 is too steep for me.
keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are boogie boards powered by small jets from the model boat hobby that have been rigged up under a grand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: