myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
JP wave board question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cerendu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: JP wave board question Reply with quote

Hi,

I came across a 2009 JP freestyle wave board carbon (pro edition) in excellent condition very lightly used. I wouldn't normally consider getting a model from a year that old, but the good condition got me thinking. I don't have much experience with wave boards so I wanted to ask here, is there a big improvement/difference between 2009 and newer, say 2014, wave boards? I'm just getting into sailing in light waves and my priorities are something that is light, easy to maneuver and does not fall off the plane too easily in gusty conditions (which is mainly the conditions I sail in). Would appreciate if you could let me know of your thoughts. Price of this board I found is reasonable, but I would be willing to pay a bit more for a newer model if it would be better. Thanks!
whitevan01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestyle wave boards can be used in waves, but are not strictly wave boards.

that board is a great board, pick it up!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JP wave board question Reply with quote

Cerendu wrote:
I came across a 2009 JP freestyle wave board carbon (pro edition) in excellent condition very lightly used. I wouldn't normally consider getting a model from a year that old, but the good condition got me thinking. I don't have much experience with wave boards so I wanted to ask here, is there a big improvement/difference between 2009 and newer, say 2014, wave boards?!

You're new in these parts, aren't ya? Smile I (plus Boards Magazine and many sailors here) FAR prefer older wave/FSW boards (I've bought dozens of them since 2008) to the new generation of shorter/wider/slower/bouncier "potato chip" boards in real world conditions (e.g., chop, sloppy waves, onshore crud, disorganized swell).

Yes, it's a great board, with a slightly more technical/demanding edge than its earlier versions according to WSMag testers. I prefer my carefully selected older '06 JP FSW, but they hadn't ruined them yet in 2009.

Mike \m/
Cerendu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, pretty new to waves, I've sailed the thruster 93lt 2011 model before but I seemed to fall of the plane pretty quickly with that (probably due to my inexperience), great to hear you recommend the 09 freestyle wave. Thanks!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from several that have owned that very board in central florida: it planes early, but is not the best at cut backs. in florida, early planing is very important. also, they have noticed these boards tend to be chattery when lit up in heavy chop.

you may want to seek a smoother ride, if you can find a similar board.

agreed, most multi fin boards are designed with the assumption of side off winds where consistency of planing power comes from the dynamics of wave forces vectoring in a way to add to wind power.

only to illustrate my point. take a look at the exocet link and find the cross or x-wave lines. they both provide good planing and wave turning, and are really nice to ride lit up or over powered.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't said what size that FSW is, so I should add that, as with any model of board, the bigger it is, the rougher it rides. Up near and above 100L I've seen some owners, including one very large guy, complain soundly about its harsh ride at speed in chop. That's where the older, narrower, longer boards shine.

When I wrote:
You're new in these parts

you wrote:
Yes, pretty new to waves

What I was referring to was my well-researched preference and endless advocacy for older wave boards for wave and B&J sailing on rough, real-world terrain, whether it's on an ocean or a big lake ... any water big enough to generate noticeable chop. There are certainly pros and cons with each design, and even some exceptions, but the trends are pretty consistent.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. WHERE are you sailing in waves?
2. New to waves, get a real wave board that floats you. Like, if you weigh 150 lbs., get a 80-84 liter wave board.
3. Wave boards are NOT meant for slogging around in 10-15 knot breezes. They're made for solid 16-22 mph winds.
4. Do the math. What you weigh in kg.s, + 10 for the rig is the float you'd want for learning to wave sil.
5. Boards TEN years older than that JP can be excellent boards for any of our needs, wave, slalom, or bump and jump.
6. Don't be a snob. In 1991, a good sailor THEN can do more in the waves than anyone can who has ever posted on this forum. That includes all the Maui pros who occasional drop into this forum from the East Coast.
Cerendu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sailing in Miami, this board would be for the winter when we have 17-25 winds, and I would be sailing it at a particular location that has some chop and a break at a good distance from shore. I am 132 lbs and was looking at the 92-94 lt range. Could use a bit smaller too I guess. I'm new to the break, only went to it several times, and am looking for a board that will help me progress there, I also want to learn to jump with it. I had to give a year long break so I'm really excited about the upcoming windy season in a couple of months and want to get the right gear.

While it's impossible to find everything in one board, my priorities would be something that planes well and rides smooth. this particular 09 board may unfortunately not be available anymore, but I appreciate all your views.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

132# + 92 L = some cumbersome jumping, but if that's what it takes to motor out to the waves, that's a higher priority.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: