myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hoping to move to Maui! Need Advice... Board size?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARA1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Steve and key ..
Thanks for your input!
No . Not planning to move yet! Just gathering info for a temporary move!
Maybe 2 to 4 months or so!
It has been a dream to do that! So we want to give it a shot!
And then see if we want to stay there longer!

I don't get this minority issue there! Almost everyone I talk to raises a flag about this!

P.s Steve.. How is the foot!?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've immensely enjoyed the many trips I have made to Kauai and Maui over the years, there is one downside in my view that that hasn't been mentioned yet, but it takes some getting used to. Insects. Mosquitoes, cockroaches, centipedes and scorpions are very common, particularly the first two. My sister has lived on Kauai since the mid70s, and she says that over time the mosquitoes aren't near the problem they can be when you're fresh from the mainland. However, roaches are a fact of life in the islands. Not everyone can tolerate them easily. Also, to keep them at a minimum, fairly regular extermination strategies are needed. The idea of a greater exposure to poisons can be viewed as a downside for some.

As Bard and keycocker have highlighted, spending some extended time there will reveal much you can't always see or experience in a few weeks vacation. I can't agree more.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Insects. Mosquitoes, cockroaches, centipedes and scorpions are very common, particularly the first two. .

That's one thing Kihei has over the north/east sides, almost no mosquitoes, centipedes or scorpions (unless you're near a creek).
CRs are unfortunatly everywhere.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cast off in 2 weeks brudha!! And those Roaches can be the size of mice. Shocked
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about cockroaches. There are a lot of beetles that live in the tropics including many types of palm beetles in Hawaii. One type in Belize and maybe Maui can be 4 inches long as Bard reports. We call them Giant Belize Cockroaches but the real name is Rhinoceros Beetle
I haven't ever seen a German cockroach here though they exist.This is the most common actual cockroach in the US.Small yellowish brown.
For many folks this distinction doesn't matter.
I just catch palm beetles and throw them out. If I see a cockroach in my house I will kill it.
Coming to Maui Bard? I am out of here for France manana or I would buy you a beer. This Nov. has had its usual waves but unusually solid wind with it.We sailed almost every day this month, with no crowds at Kanaha.
Hope it holds.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We like thems cockroaches about 2" long, 1" wide, that can walk along the narrowest wires, barbed or otherwise, but fly around blind, banging into everything in all directions. falling onto the ground only to immediately fly up again to run into another solid object or each other.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would enjoy that beer, and had plenty of plans to hang out on Maui until I cut a tendon in my foot. I'm in a cast up to my knee for 2 more weeks...

Will PM next month if I can make it! bon voyage....I'll tell my wife that those things aren't Cockroaches, that'll make her more comfy. Wink
loosescrew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a nice 1 bedroom Ohana in Pukalani for about $1000 plus electricity which could be another $100/month. Two bedroom is usually $1200. Been living on the Rock off and on for several years. Can't beat the weather. Sailing can be different from year to year. So far this year has been pretty incredible sailing - lots of wind and some wave days this Fall - last winter we had a record on high surf advisories; this year could be more wind and less waves but it's all good. No worries on the cockroaches and other insects however, northshore will have more as opposed to Kihei where it is dryer with less critters. Kihei is a nice option in the winter as it is dryer, more rental availability, more things to do, quick drive to Kanaha yet if its blow'n Kona - Ohukai is super fun. More and more peeps are making living the dream a reality and coming to Maui. Just don't stay too long. haa haa
Sunny15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's now officially official and I can finally post this... I got the job! I'll be there this Saturday. It's a pretty sweet gig. Only a 3 month initial commitment and they pay for everything that first 3 months... rent, money for a rental car, airfare, and some extra cash for food. I'm super stoked! Now I just have to learn how to sail waves... a little nervous about that. I might try to take a clinic from some pro or something.
wmike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zwinkt wrote:
So it's now officially official and I can finally post this... I got the job! I'll be there this Saturday.

That's great. We sailed together at the Hatch in September. Big waves expected Saturday but we will try to sail uppers anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: