myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
boom failure- this ever happen to anyone else?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, bummer. I used to have the triple clamps, and I sailed them Super Hard and never had an issue. One thing, though- I did perform pretty routine maintenance on them, like checking those screws, and occasionally replacing the heads altogether. Dunno if it was really necessary, but it seemed like cheap insurance. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary for me- I check all of my stuff pretty often, actually. Cleaning sand out, making sure hardware isn't deteriorating, etc etc...

I will add, since you're thinking about shopping- while the triple clamp was a pretty awesome boom for it's time, the new Pro1 carbon completely eclipses it on all levels. The Pro1 is an absolutely amazing boom!

http://wind-nc.com
thombiz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinook's new Pro 1 carbon boom does appear to be a new and improved choice plus, it's made right there in the Gorge, keeping American workers employed. When you buy made in America products the jobs you save might be your own. There's an interesting video on this web page: http://www.isthmussailboards.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CHP1C
slambo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so out of curiosity I cked my older chinook carbon booms and I am glad I did as the outer screws are all broken in 2 other booms- some of the broken screws I can't get out. Need to try to find something small to punch out the bolt w/ broken screw. The inner screws are ok. Wow- now I really need to call chinook as I have 2 booms in otherwise good condition but the outer screws are toast. Now I have to say this is bad design.

Guys, ck your screws on your chinooks carbons! I had always bragged about these booms but now I got to get rid of them- after I get new screws in them of course.

Will see what chinook says when I call them.

DSCF2329.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.34 KB
 Viewed:  16056 Time(s)

DSCF2329.JPG

johnl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Chinook carbon booms had the same problem. Felt a little loose, so I BARELY tightened the screw and it snapped (the screw). I took it to Chinook (a short 15 minute drive) and they put in a new one. I think they got a bad bunch of bolts.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe not. They stopped making their shock-absorbing Hydroshok base years ago because of SS corrosion in salt water ... decided the demand didn't warrant redesigning the unit to remain failsafe when the SS part failed as it very often did after salt water use.

I've also found (today's?) SS to be pretty unimpressive stuff. Take footstrap screws ... please. Their Phillips heads bugger up so fast I now use hex heads any place I'm not stepping on them too often. I once put a speck of Gorilla Glue on all my SS footstrap screws to keep 'em tight in plastic inserts, and EVERY screw snapped when I tried to remove them shortly thereafter after use only in fresh water.

I haven't stumbled across SS hex heads yet (haven't looked), but hex works so much better plan to look. In the meantime I'll just inspect my coated steel screws occasionally. I don't know whether there are higher quality SS machine screws/bolts available for our boom and footstrap applications. Both would be worth a few extra bucks. Surely the aircraft and marine industries must have more corrosion-resistant hardware available; after all, it IS proudly called "STAINLESS", not "stain resistant in pure H2O", "sorta dishwasher safe", or "warranty void outside Arizona".
jfeehan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the outer screws on my boom, and they are a bit stained, but not broken.

I'm thinking of replacing them.

Is there a way to get higher quality stainless?
Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfeehan wrote:
I checked the outer screws on my boom, and they are a bit stained, but not broken.

I wish I could remember my materials science course a little better, but I do recall tidbits about corrosion in stainless steel in the presence of halogens (in this case chlorine, or salt water). There are some stainless's that are more resistant to this type of corrosion and most marine stainless steels are one of the 316 grades (I think - should just google "marine grade stainless" or "halogen corrosion in stainless steels"), but all stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion.

To compound the problem, there's a huge issue with cheap fasteners from China these days, working their way into the US marketplace. In some cases, they've been rejected (by the US military for example) and then find their way back into the market place. Sometimes the companies don't know they're buying low-grade materials.

This thread is a good reminder that, like Andy, we should all just do some regular gear inspections.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have suggested, this seems to me to be an issue with Chinook's fastener supplier rather than a problem with the overall triple clamp boom design. I think the triple clamp design is sound. This is likely a case of either a bad batch of screws or simply buying cheap fasteners.

When I inspected the screws on one of my triple clamp booms (after reading this thread), one screw sheared off and that all of them had signs of corrosion (after about five years of use in salt water). So while I won't be rushing out to buy a new set of booms, I will definitely be replacing the screws and nylock nuts. I've already placed an order from McMaster Carr for the 316SS M5 x 25mm screws and nuts. I don't know what the OEM hardware is, but 316SS has high corrosion resistance and is considered to be "marine grade."

sm

Last edited by bred2shred on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
joespeed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it happened to me too (twice) on a 4 to 5ish year old chinook tripple clamp carbon. the first time I heard a big snap, I couldn't figure out what happened, another sailor (Ron) told me to check the booms head bolts, sure enough one of them snapped. the other time I knew what that big snap sound was, the 2 bolts from the other side broke... about 8 months apart. I was lucky, both times the bolts stayed in place and I could continues sailing.

I would say replace those bolts every 2-3 years (I sail mostly salt water)

Louis
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:
jfeehan wrote:

I wish I could remember my materials science course a little better, but I do recall tidbits about corrosion in stainless steel in the presence of halogens (in this case chlorine, or salt water). There are some stainless's that are more resistant to this type of corrosion and most marine stainless steels are one of the 316 grades (I think - should just google "marine grade stainless" or "halogen corrosion in stainless steels"), but all stainless steels are susceptible to corrosion.

To compound the problem, there's a huge issue with cheap fasteners from China these days, working their way into the US marketplace. In some cases, they've been rejected (by the US military for example) and then find their way back into the market place. Sometimes the companies don't know they're buying low-grade materials.

This thread is a good reminder that, like Andy, we should all just do some regular gear inspections.

Stainless steel does fairly well by itself or in combination with (sacrificial) anode materials like aluminum; but any grade of stainless is lower on the anode table than graphite (pure carbon):
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/galvanic.htm

Also, without direct contact to oxygen, stainless cannot build up an oxide layer that protects the metal - that's made worse by higher temps.

Sticking your boom into a bag (wet with salt water) inside a hot car will cause any grade stainless to fail over time. The design of the chinook triple clamp puts the bolts in contact with exposed carbon and away from oxygen - so everything comes together here.

I guess, that, if you replace the bolts in regular intervals, you should be able to avoid the issue.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: