myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Los Barriles Windsurfing Rentals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpaillon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Los Barriles Windsurfing Rentals Reply with quote

I'm planning on going to Los Barriles for three weeks. I'll be staying with a friend. My friend informed me that Vela charges $450/week for windsurfing gear. Is there a cheaper alternative? I think I could fly my stuff down there and back for a lot less. Are there any places nearby that rent gear for considerably less? Is buying and reselling used gear down there a practical option?
johnnyo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a week down there in March for the first time, and it seems as though Vela pretty much has a lock on windsurfing rentals down there. Kiters have more options however. Lots of ex-pats that live down there for the season, so keep posting and you might find someone willing to rent their gear.
Awesome place though! Good luck!
seablind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to check directly with Vela about how much they would charge you and whether it is negotiable - $450 sounds pretty high. Their phone number (in oregon) is on the Vela website. Also I think they have a daily walk-up price - you probably don't want to pay by the week as it likely won't be windy every day.

I hope you have a great time! Just got back from 6 windy days (out of 7).
mikej1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Vela charges 425.00 for the week including insurance. If you're going to be there for three weeks a good option may be to pay the weekly rate up front then pay daily the rest of the time when it's windy. That way you're sure to have equipment when you arrive and the staff gets to know you which can help if they're booked up and daily rentals become iffy. I've been going there for the past 8 years and the gear and staff have been excellent. Three weeks ago had a good week there, Boards that I used: Starboard kode 68 & 80, Evo 81, Flare 116; JP 74 & 99 single thrust, 85 FSW, 99 & 106 FS. Can't beat their selection. Hope you get some good El Nortes! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: