myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How long before we have solid ice on Cape Cod?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought you were in Florida? Or maybe that was speedy...I'm so confused.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Thought you were in Florida? Or maybe that was speedy...I'm so confused.

If you think you're confused, how do you think Psychokiter feels?
lasrer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this interesting regarding this year's weather.

http://www.space.com/14320-snow-truth-winter-2012-lack-white-stuff.html

I also agree with Iceratz, and have watched ice sports dwindle in three decades of participating, and then just watching.

I remember meeting Iceratz (Jeff Brown) with Jeff Henderson freeskating at Quannapowitt starting Thanksgiving in the early 80s.

I do believe we are also witnessing global warming. High average temperatures increasing, storms getting more severe, shorter apparent winters.

I watched a good show on NatGeo channel called "Big Ice" and these guys are continually surprised how fast we are loosing the glaciers into the sea.

Global warming means more energy in the atmosphere, and should mean more wind.

Last summer must have been an oddity.

ed
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lasrer wrote:

Global warming means more energy in the atmosphere, and should mean more wind.

Last summer must have been an oddity.

ed

More wind in terms of frontal / storm systems, YES.

But the thermals are dwindling as well. This could be the absence of the differential needed between cooler water and warming land mass. If the temps of water increase, the thermal is not as strong.
Also, the Bermuda High has been absent as well. This could be as a result of the Greenland factor, creating the "back door" cold fronts we got all year. As more ice melts from Greenland, this atmospheric outwash creates the "back door", also called the North Atlantic Occilation. NAO.

I'm not a weather man, but if all the other weathermen point to melting ice contributing major changes, then its possible. Thermals could shut down.
Ted Hood (of famed Hood Sailamkers) told me back in 70's that there use to be a thermal SW wind occurance all they way up to North Shore (Marblehead) but he thought the warmer temps shut that down.

Enjoy winter sailing on water! Cool
flaherty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a kid, growing up in the 50's, on the south shore, I remember well, ice skating on most Thanksgivings, and always around Christmas.To me the summer wind has slowly been declining for the past 10 years.
As Iceratz has stated, where have the Bermuda highs gone? Did we get one
the past summer? Maybe once last summer I windsurfed till dusk on a small sail, but seemed to remember some summers past, when that was a fairly normal occurance. It may be me ,and my not as good as it used to be memory, but things have changed.
ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot about the summer doldrums. It was my first season of not getting in at least one good SW'er across town at Skaket. And the first season without a NE'er over at Pleasant Bay.

But to get in 11 days of surfing in after Thanksgiving made up for a lot.

After school pickup I make the kids suffer the long(er) way home - one proner and one SUPer heading off the beach at Coast Guard. No ice or snow today!

RC

ps - if the southbound view on Ocean View Drive isn't enough, there's wildlife too - turkeys, foxes and a coyote so far. I'm holding out for a deer siting

camera0-9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.46 KB
 Viewed:  10391 Time(s)

camera0-9.jpg

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you meet up with someone who remains skeptical about Global Warming, I suggest moving on to another person. He or she must be thick as a brick. I have read accounts which were 100 or more years old of Vineyard Sound freezing so solid that wagons could be hauled by horses from Falmouth to the Island. Not only that I heard a live accounts of ice cover that has extended over that area. We won't see that in our lifetime. Nevertheless, there are always going to be big seasonal differences. I doubt if we see 4 inch ice on the Cape this year, but we should definitely see more snow. In addition I checked the weight of my '94 Toyota 4-runner. Curb weight (no passengers or load) is 3800 lbs. 8 inches would hold me and my gear.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
If you meet up with someone who remains skeptical about Global Warming, I suggest moving on to another person. He or she must be thick as a brick.

Gosh, Brucie, you've run into some of those here on IWS.

sailingjoke wrote:
I have read accounts which were 100 or more years old of Vineyard Sound freezing so solid that wagons could be hauled by horses from Falmouth to the Island.

Growing up, I remember walking out several hundred feet onto the ice from Stony Beach in Woods Hole. My parents were furious that I'd do something that stupid -- but, "kids will be kids."

I also remember as a kid talking to an old codger who claimed to have ridden with his parents from WH to NB across Buzzards Bay in a horse-drawn sled. That would have been in 1880-1890, or so. That old guy was a story teller, but I think that was a true story. (Remember: That was before the Canal, so much less current.)
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
I doubt if we see 4 inch ice on the Cape this year, but we should definitely see more snow. In addition I checked the weight of my '94 Toyota 4-runner. Curb weight (no passengers or load) is 3800 lbs. 8 inches would hold me and my gear.

No hope of ANY ice for supporting any person or more will be formed here on the Cape..if not the entire SE Mass as well.

8" ice is all you think you need to drive on it? I seriously doubt it. Even if that ice was crystal clear pure black ice, (strongest kind) it would not be thick enough for that load.

More like 12" + clear ice is needed, and thats rare for even up north. I drove on Winnipesaukee when it was 15", combo of clear ice and snow ice, I still saw other trucks goin in.

But go ahead Brucie and drive your truck on it...we shall read about you.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
I also remember as a kid talking to an old codger who claimed to have ridden with his parents from WH to NB across Buzzards Bay in a horse-drawn sled. That would have been in 1880-1890, or so. That old guy was a story teller, but I think that was a true story. (Remember: That was before the Canal, so much less current.)

I have seen pictures...its true!

Long Island Sound also would freeze, but be trecherous. The Coast Gaurd developed an Iceboat called the "Scooter" which would sail over ice, AND into water, then back on ice. We see these restored boats still in use for recreation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: