myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Puerto Rico
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video floating around the forum from Dec.

http://vimeo.com/34150346
gk3540

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, ct. Guessing that's Puntas out on the NW coast. Very impressive. Based on what I saw on a surfing trip, must be a lot of coral out there. Those places around San Juan that zirtaeb described sound cool, and I've been wanting to try Jobos. There must be tons of places. Great island...
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On days smaller than about 5', a really close and doable spot is just before you hit old SanJuan. The outer reefs are much close to shore, the breeze all clear upwind (no buildings or trees), and the shoreline bends just a bit so the winds are just barely slightly a hint on the off side of sideshore.
A spot that will hit magazines is that left on the walkway to the Governor's house, off 7Seas in Fajardo. Stays open up to easily 10', good lineup points on shore, but not really windsurfable due to wind direction. But I surf also. Gov's beach house is a series of right reef breaks, side to side off winds.
gk3540

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LeeD. Is that place before Old San Juan called La Ocha by any chance? I surfed there a couple of years ago. Trying to remember, it's upwind of La Perla, that old neighborhood next to the cemetery?
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only place to launch in that specific area, La Ocho Cam is here:

http://www.comoestaeso.com/forums/content/la-ocho-live-surf-cams-20/
gk3540

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the place, ct.. Had a regular surfboard in the car and caught some waves..... Have you sailed in Jobos out on NW coast? There's a cool bar right on the beach there facing the point break. LeeD posted before that he was around for the world surf contest there a while back. When we were there recently, I saw a guy wave sailing about 100 yards west of the surfers. Looked good. No coral. Manageable shorebreak. Cross shore winds. Always have wanted to go back.....
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gk3540 wrote:
When we were there recently, I saw a guy wave sailing about 100 yards west of the surfers.....

Did it happen to be a maroon Gaastra this past Dec/Jan ???

Jobos is nice. Depending on wind and swell direction that launch gives you more of an onshore/jumping venue. For side and side off, there are a number of spots further down the coast. I guess it all depends on the day, how it all lines up and your willingness to explore.
gk3540

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a maroon Gaastra. Further back, like 3 yrs. When you say further down coast, do you mean east or west? We stayed at the Paradores in Isabela (a good deal by the way, since state run) and that was east of Jobos. There was a kiter launched in front of hotel--?playa montanas?-- and next beach east I think was ?middles. Lots of coral. I liked Jobos where the non- maroon sail was because no coral. Playa Wilderness down the hill from Aguadilla airport was beautiful with incredible waves--but so much coral. I had a hard time just with a surfboard. But, those waves and those ruins on the beach. Great photos.....
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that old '68 or so contest won by FredHemiings, at Rincon.
I was 19, my third year of surfing.
gk3540

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey LeeD, they just wrote up a reminiscence of that '68 contest in recent Surfer's Journal. Check it out....and ctwindsurf, I just read through that incredibly long thread on "getting into the straps" and saw your picture of the waxed surfboard with the kick pad and mast track. Awesome. The footstrap subject gets old....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: