myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got fins?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swmckay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Got fins? Reply with quote

This just showed up on Saturday. More than the cold air and water, my work schedule this winter means I won't get to try it for about 2 months. (Sorry for poor photo quality, it was shot in a dark basement with my phone.)

So, does anybody know somebody with a beefy sewing machine? I want to cut four slits in a board bag and them reinforce them. It takes ages to pop all those fins in and out, and once I'm at the beach I want to sail, not dick around mounting fins.

GotFins.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  559.84 KB
 Viewed:  7672 Time(s)

GotFins.JPG

rswabsin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what you could do as another option - pick up a surf board sock (inexpensive polyester surf board bag that easily stretches to various board shapes and stretches over multi fin set ups). For a board that's 8' long - you can probably get one for about $35-$45. They're great for day trips when all you need is dirt, scratch and UV protection. Save the padded board bag for long road trips. I picked one up just recently for my Kona 10.5 - way cheaper than a padded bag for that beast. Just google "surf board socks" and you'll get several dozen different shops to order from.

Good luck with the new board - looks sweet.
Rob
swmckay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:
You know what you could do as another option - pick up a surf board sock (inexpensive polyester surf board bag that easily stretches to various board shapes and stretches over multi fin set ups).

Hmm, that would have been a excellent idea, but I had the guys on Maui put the board in a bag to add some extra protection during shipping, so I've already got the bag. (Now I just have to not do a half-backed tailoring job on it.)

rswabsin wrote:
Good luck with the new board - looks sweet.

Thanks! It's going to be an exercise in patience, waiting to try it.
DriverA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Gerda? windfixes@aol.com.
JFred

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't destroy the bag.......I guess I could find a spot for the board at my house. Wink Tell us how da buggah go!!!!
angulo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call matt 7787547756 . He can do it professionally and maybe only charge $40 or $50 bucks. and because he's kinda a perfectionist and a windsurfer he'll measure it good and make sure it works. also , he's in swampscott/ marblehead.... not far from u
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Got fins? Reply with quote

The bag is so tight it won't just zip up over the fins?

-Craig

swmckay wrote:
This just showed up on Saturday. More than the cold air and water, my work schedule this winter means I won't get to try it for about 2 months. (Sorry for poor photo quality, it was shot in a dark basement with my phone.)

So, does anybody know somebody with a beefy sewing machine? I want to cut four slits in a board bag and them reinforce them. It takes ages to pop all those fins in and out, and once I'm at the beach I want to sail, not dick around mounting fins.
swmckay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Josh, I'll give him a shout if the high-performance seamstress at the local cleaners can't do it.

Craig, the bag is pretty snug. It fits over the thrusters, but not over the two larger fins.

Ride, thanks for your kind offer of giving my board a better home. Although I'm sure I am not worthy, I'll get back to you on that. Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a block of foam, or HomeDepot insulation for 10 bucks, glue the foam so it's thicker than your longest fin, place in the area around fin.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two suggestions:
I've used wider bags with great success with my 5-finned boards.

I've also used a razor knife to cut slits for fins ... and not bothered to reinforce them. The slits haven't changed yet, but also aren't subject to highway buffeting. If they were, I'd watch them closely for wear, and just brush on some of my wife's fabric edge fray control liquid or, if necessary, some heftier seam sealer or carpet edge sealer. KISS!

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: