myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Magazine -- RIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airwave

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish that the format had stayed 8.5 x 11. I keep a few back issues around that have articles about certain locations and photos of a few friends here and there. But the larger edition just doesn't stack well with the others.
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Josh Sampiero. Your highly rational,well thought out,fully informed opinion has managed again to mislead people away from windsurfing in reality and given exceptional growth to Kiting and Paddleboarding publications on a national level.

Clearly, not testing any and all effective , effecient and/or high performance forms of windsurfing gear designed for lighter wind locations secured your bright future in the now blooming industry...I am sure your former employer misses you dearly.Enjoy your public entitlement check and come back soon , a good laugh is always appreciated.

jsampiero wrote:
Thanks, KellyGeygan. Your highly rational, well thought-out, fully informed opinion is of utmost importance to everyone here.

Clearly, testing Formula boards in the booming windsurfing market of San Diego would have saved our asses, and I'd still have a job, and you'd have a magazine. I don't know how we didn't see the light - must have been a moment of cognitive dissonance.
derekd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: t-shirt Reply with quote

I got ripped off too. Funny, the "windsurfing mag" t-shirt arrived in the mail the other day.
Windzone

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sad to see the magazine go. I'm not sure of the magazine but there's always Windsport (Canadian magazine). I don't imagine it would much different in terms of products shown vs Windsurfing mag.
spennie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh and I have had some personal "differences", but I'll give him props for making a Wind Surfing better than it was. Eff those guys who say it sucked! If you test high-wind stuff somebody writes in complaining that it's not "real world". If you test light wind gear they complain about not being rad enough. Formula's too specialized, SUP isn't windsurfing (OK I'm in on that one), not enough about beginners, too much about beginners, yada yada yada......Guess what? It's all a part of windsurfing!

If only they'd kept Wind Junkie comics! I bet their circulation would have tripled!

jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Spennie. We will always share a mutual love of this sport.

kellygeygan wrote:
Thanks, Josh Sampiero. Your highly rational,well thought out,fully informed opinion has managed again to mislead people away from windsurfing in reality and given exceptional growth to Kiting and Paddleboarding publications on a national level.

Clearly, not testing any and all effective , effecient and/or high performance forms of windsurfing gear designed for lighter wind locations secured your bright future in the now blooming industry...I am sure your former employer misses you dearly.Enjoy your public entitlement check and come back soon , a good laugh is always appreciated.

1) I am definitely not on the dole. Can't say I won't take advantage of that within the year, but I'm certainly not doing so right now.

2) Your commentary continues to be uninformed. Our kiteboarding magazine was also shut down and no other mag in the industry comes close to in terms of revenue and reach. I know the numbers. One - of three! - paddleboarding magazines MAY be enjoying small-time success with a limited readership. First movers often reap rewards.

Oh! I think I found your problem.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
stilladdicted

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"So to those who were employed by the magazine: VIA CON DIOS, may you sail 4.5 to 7.0 as much as possible and marry someone who loves to sail more than you do."

Roger that! Still, to my wife's dismay, have all my old copies of your 'rag'. Pages worn and memorized. Thank you all for fueling the early years of my addiction.
WMP

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a mistake on the hat..... "Windsurfer" is a different rag from "Windsurfing", I didn't know that, never have I read either mag even though I've been in this sport 30 years. I just like to ride older gear, so these rags never presented any information I found interesting. Wish they had done more trip reports to far away, adventurous places... that would catch my interest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: