myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thoughtful critique of Obama administration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. G. I'm not dumb enough to think that any one president has that much impact on the economy or the stock market. I reference the market becasue Its quite impressive that the markets, not just the stock market, but Debt markets, and capital markets have flourished during an administration that many compare to some of the worst cretins this Earth has ever seen.
I certainly take issue with your depiction of Obama's first two years in office. The first year was almost entirely dedicated to fixing the banking system. The stress tests, the preferred equity swap, the auto bailout, all dominated the Summer of 2009, and laid the framework for market recovery. If we wound down AIG, Gm, and Citi it would have been horrible, but we didnt...and I applaud Obama for that.
Mr G. Hows the economy in Northern Virginia? fyi...I know the answer.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go mrgybe, an opinion piece by Dana Milbank on the Republican controlled House of Representatives in today's Washington Post. Seemingly I'm not alone in thinking that the Republicans are about doing nothing productive at all. Why don't you have some scorn and blame for them?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-big-talk-no-action-congress/2012/05/02/gIQAtOu7uT_story.html?hpid=z2
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be held accountable. I’ve got four years … a year from now, I think people are going to see that we’re starting to make some progress, but there’s still going to be some pain out there. If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.” President Barack Obama - February 2009.

No excuses. Takes responsibility. Well said Mr. President.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK mrgybe, I guess I have to assume that the only thing that you really want to do is blame President Obama. No doubt, you're energized and targeted in that goal here, but I find it curious why such a bright and accomplished guy like yourself sees little else. I'll just have to judge your views based on that.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
How much influence has the Administration had on the market price of Apple? Virtually none.....

How much influence does the administration have on the price of gasoline? Virtually none....

How much influence do you have on the volume of sheer hypocrisy awash in the rabid rightie's mind? Virtually all....
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
How much influence does the administration have on the price of gasoline? Virtually none....

How much influence do you have on the volume of sheer hypocrisy awash in the rabid rightie's mind? Virtually all....

Apparently the elementary school teacher doesn't take his own advice.

pueno wrote:
Also, learn to write persuasively and to speak professionally.
feuser

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
How much influence has the Administration had on the market price of Apple? Virtually none.....

If mrgybe is saying that the stock market is a terrible metric for the economy as a whole, I would agree. In an situation where the market booms yet the employment numbers lag, we usually see a rise in productivity - a nice euphemism for squeezing the most out your employees. That comes at a high cost to them and the unemployed, but markets love it. Odd for that to happen under the watch of a "far left" administration, isn't it?

BTW: Productivity had shot up so much in 2009 and 2010 has been contracting slightly, but still is way up in international and historical comparison.
http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
pueno

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Apparently the elementary school teacher doesn't take his own advice.

Huh? Question Question Question

feuser wrote:

If mrgybe is saying that the stock market is a terrible metric for the economy as a whole, I would agree. In an situation where the market booms yet the employment numbers lag, we usually see a rise in productivity - a nice euphemism for squeezing the most out your employees. That comes at a high cost to them and the unemployed, but markets love it. Odd for that to happen under the watch of a "far left" administration, isn't it?

BTW: Productivity had shot up so much in 2009 and 2010 has been contracting slightly, but still is way up in international and historical comparison.

Don't over-analyze.

I was merely pointing out that on the one hand, the rabid righties will admit that Obama has no control over the price of Apple while, on the other hand, asserting that he is responsible for rising gasoline costs -- which, by their twisted, convoluted logic, he apparently controls with his own personal joystick mounted in the Oval Office.

It's all about clownishly stupid hypocrisy.
techno900

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,

I forgot that I posted: "It's not hate, it's just too many lies/broken promises to stand behind the guy, oh, and his far left approach to government."

I apologize, I did call Obama a liar, which may or may not be true. As I said, it's the intent of a promise that determines the respectability/honesty of the politician.

I do believe that most politicians on both sides of the table promise or say things that they know can't be achieved, or aren't totally true, or are purposely presented out of context just to sway voters. I think it's disgusting regardless of the party affiliation. The reason for all this? Way too many voters are swayed to vote based upon political adds, promises and yard signs, a sad commentary on the knowledge of the American voter.

And for pueno,

I don't know the answer to this, but since almost everyone is giving Obama credit for giving the go ahead to kill Bin Laden, I have to wonder how Bin Laden was found, and who should get the credit for the process of discovering his hiding place. I suspect that the covert military operations behind this was set in place before Obama came into office. I also wonder who created the plan to fly in and take him out? Obama? I doubt it.

I read that Obama had 5 months to think about this after Bin Laden's location was established. No doubt a tough decision, weighing the consequences of losing American soldiers while trying to take out Osama. Things went well and Obama was the winner. My point is that the real work was most likely put in place by Bush, who no doubt would have made the same go ahead decision as Obama.

What's interesting is that there seemed to be a lot of opposition to the plan within Obama's cabinet and advisers. A bad plan, or too politically risky? I am glad he trusted the military to get the job done.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:

I'm not saying that. The stock market can be a leading indicator of anticipated economic improvement......government policy can be part of that equation. I don't believe that to be the case at present. In my opinion, this administration has restrained business growth by additional regulations, by constantly attacking corporations, by sustaining persistent uncertainty over tax policy and by ineffective use of so-called stimulus funding. Businesses have hunkered down and improved profitability by greater efficiency. That has resulted in a partial reversal of the major stock market correction we saw in 2008/9. Some will characterize that as "squeezing the most" out of employees.......and indeed, employees are frequently called upon to dig deep. No more so, however, than the owners who agonize over letting people go and who often lose everything they have spent years building. This notion that business owners are cold, heartless exploiters is nonsense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: