myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
235L Equipe XR vs. 258L Equipe II XR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longboard racing is alive an well in Massachusetts. Lake Quanipowitt runs an open summer series most Wednesday nights out of the QYC in Wakefield, MA and hosts two holiday regattas.

The race schedule for this summer is as follows:

Memorial Day Regatta - May 28 (Monday)

Summer Evening Series 1 - May 16, 23, 30, June 6, 13, 20, 27

Summer Evening Series 2 - July 4, 11, 18, 25, August 1, 8

September Winds Regatta - September 29 (Saturday)

The Wednesday evening series races start at 6:30 PM.
Memorial Day and September Winds are all day regattas.

Also the fine people at Vineyard Haven YC just purchased a fleet of Kona One's for mixed adult/youth racing!

arden

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, longboard racing is alive and well in many parts of the country. I'll be at the Dam Jam in Des Moines this weekend that Del referred to. I was also the Race Director for the Walleye Wagatta in Fond du Lac, WI this past weekend. I posted lots of photos and videos of the event from the committee boat using my phone this weekend. Check it out, or better yet, come join us!
http://arden-el11.blogspot.com/
www.mowind.org/calendar/calendar.pdf

Regards,
Arden

walleye_prestart_sm.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  103.09 KB
 Viewed:  16199 Time(s)

walleye_prestart_sm.JPG

w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 235L Equipe XR vs. 258L Equipe II XR Reply with quote

ronm41 wrote:

The Megacat always seemed to have a problem with the daggerboard jamming up, I think a Megacat was a overall faster longboard raceboard but the daggerboard problem was a nightmare.

funny, ive got the equipe and the megacat, and i think the megacat dagger is much better to use than the equipe.. or is the chs gasket/dagger different to the xr.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dagger gasket on the Equipe II XR was/is very stiff. I always used gel silicone on it before racing for easier movement.
ronm41

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 235L Equipe XR vs. 258L Equipe II XR Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:
ronm41 wrote:

The Megacat always seemed to have a problem with the daggerboard jamming up, I think a Megacat was a overall faster longboard raceboard but the daggerboard problem was a nightmare.

funny, ive got the equipe and the megacat, and i think the megacat dagger is much better to use than the equipe.. or is the chs gasket/dagger different to the xr.

I had a megacat as well as some of my friends. The problem we had with the daggerboard was that if you stepped on the knob wrong while retracting or putting it down you could push the pivot point out of its carrier and the board would drop lower and jam up. My friend Dennis was racing his at the Gorge years ago at the Nationals and was tied for first with one race left, he rounded the last leeward mark, pushed the blade down and the daggerboard dropped out of the carrier and jammed. Lost the race, placed but didn't win his class. Sad
AS far as the Equipe 11, the gasket would come loose and there wasn't decent glue to glue it back on, we always taped the gasket on as well as glue. Still the Mistral was a better system was OK. I think the best daggerboard system was the last generation F2 Lightning but the board wasn't as fast in light air as the Cat and Equipe.
parabuteo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfer Fleet 18 still racing raceboards at Ryan Park
in Foster City near San Francisco. Google "Windsurfer Fleet 18" for info.
Tuesdays @ 6pm, races then pizza!!! April-September.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see folks are still racing. We have Wednesday night races near Houston from May through September at Seabrook Sailing Club (15 - 20 sailors). We have extra gear, and can put visitors on the water if they happen to be in town. We also do several Original Windsurfer events.

Numbers are finally coming back. We started losing folks when the board manufacturers started trying to develop centerboard-less boards that could get around a course better than course boards. The stuff was over-hyped. Folks would buy them based on the hype, only to find out that they needed more wind than advertised, and, also, more skill.

Equipe II is awesome board for open course racing. The Kona One won't win many open races, but it is a great organization. You can attend National and International events, and charters are usually available. The permitted sail size varies with weight. You're in the 'sweet spot'.

One more comment about racing on Kona. It takes a certain personality. The Kona probably won't win open races. So, if you don't have enough Konas for a local fleet, you probably won't be winning anything. But racing on a Kona opens the door for racing at a one design Kona National and World Championship. You can get on the best equipment money can buy, and win races, even if you have bad starts, bad technique, and bad tactics. For me, that's not what I want. I like the challenge of trying to beat folks with an inferior board. I always have to be improving. I'll pass on the local wins to increase my chances at the big events.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a purple Megacat last summer, it is a honeycomb construction and has a trimm box finbox. I still haven't figured out what the volume is, but this board is amazingly fast in light air.

anyway, the centerboard works like a dream. Just use a little olive oil (spray olive oil is easier to use) on the gasket inside and out.

as for longboard racing, here on Long Island, Mike Burns has been generous enough to organize something called the East Coast Windsurf the last several years and at least it is one event per year where longboards (wind permitting) are raced. It is totally open, and this year both the 7.5 limited and open classes where won by divsion 2 boards. But, both of these guys are probably the best sailors in each class, so it wasn't just the board.

Kona seems to be a good option, but I have to travel for that. I am working on getting to Martha's Vineyard for their August regatta. It will be a great experience, I am sure.
erniej

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down here in St. Pete, Florida, we're starting up some fun centric longboard "regattas". Beginnner friendly, above all. We'll be using http://www.lbwindsurfing.com/forum/ to post updates. -Eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: