myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Closures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Cabrillo Closures Reply with quote

I read in another post, that sometimes Cabrillo is closed to Windsurfing when the beach gets too crowded. Anyone have details? I'd like to drive up from SD and sail some this Summer. Do they close it in advance in expectation of crowds? Or do they close it after the fact and ask sailors to leave? Is there a phone number to check the sailing status?
Thanks!
westadamsvets

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beach doesn't get closed to windsurfing , but the parking fills up so there's no way to drive in.

It's frustrating, because it seems that the parking enforcement people are too slow to re-allow people to enter despite many cars leaving the parking lot in the afternoon. Call me cynical, but I wonder if the parking enforcement people just want to stretch out their overtime at the beach...
Don't understand why you need three officers and two cars to 'police' entry...

If you're driving up from SD, you may want to consider coming in to sail on Saturday afternoon and then spending night in san pedro hotel in order to sail again on Sunday. I haven't seen the parking close on a Saturday so you wouldn't have to get in super early - but I could be wrong as far as it always being open on Saturdays.
benspikey

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On any summer weekend.. If you are in the parking lot before 12 you will not have an issue..

at 1 pm you are pushing it and risk being shut out..

The timing has a direct correlation to weather / holidays.

This weekend it was cool saturday / sunday and the parking lot was not closed. Sunday Evening and Monday it was warmer and people came out..

Do not use the front gate if you think it might be full..
jwajack

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, sometimes the lifeguards close the beach to windsurfing on summer holidays (typically 4th of July and Labor Day), though they didn't close it over Memorial Day.
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: