myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Oil and citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree on most points CB. I'd also read about the prior blow out. At some point continued discharge is inevitable, and what I've learned in digging around is that saturating some pyritic soils, whether disturbed or undisturbed, might slow or stop oxidation and reduce metal leaching.

I know you hate hearing about what California does well, but an obvious question occurred to me. How successful have previous efforts been, what have we learned from them, and how much improvement can we expect? I doubt that anyone knows.

Here in the Bay area we have a monitoring program, the Regional Monitoring Program, that is intended to answer that question. http://www.sfei.org/programs/sf-bay-regional-monitoring-program

A tool like this gives you some idea of the effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of what you are doing. Nobody learns from their mistakes unless they take them out and look at them.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac

There is an organization called the Mountain Studies Institue. I have worked as a consultant for them, and have also been a supporter. They have been monitoring water for awhile. In addition, the stake holders group is serious about seeing what they are accomplishing.

But, this is new science, and the vastness, and diversity, of the region cannot be overstated. Remember these sites are buried in snow, often in extremely hazardous avalanche prone drainages, for 9 months out of the year. So, identifying the offending source is very difficult.

And, our snow pack water content can vary dramticAlly by year and by basin depending on the direction of the storms. Groundwater can take a significant time to find its way out. Sort of like global warming data...it fluctuates on its own.

I am surprised you heard of the Silver Lake blowout. This a very high alpine lake that had a huge mine that was accessible by a tram that is miles long. It is a major hike to get to. off the beaten path. This was the first I had heard about the "possible" blowout. I may hike up there this weekend.

The blowout you may have heard about is recapped here.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/when-our-river-turned-orange-animas-river-spill

Jonathon is a little bit of a liberal, but does report pretty accurately...he was my neighbor in Silverton for awhile.

Sunday, I revisited Lake Emma...you can drive to it in a robust 4x4. Amazing site. And you are, literally, standing on a 2000 ft high mine below.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--thanks, best coverage I've read yet. That is the blow-out I read about.

I think it will be interesting to watch the Congressional inquiry into this. I would vote for one if I was in Congress; despite my push-back on the right wing craziness, I'm not willing to give EPA a pass. Having overseen a slew of clean-ups, of much less significance, when I worked for the Port of Oakland, it seems to me that they did not have the level of skill needed in their project manager. (This is not unusual--most governmental agencies establish parameters for clean-ups, few oversee them. They rely on public-private partnerships, and the skill of contractors, which is usually the right way to go.)

The most fundamental need on any clean up is a health and safety plan. The potential for exposure of workers to toxic materials is always the starting point, but hydraulic dangers should also be part of that. We will eventually see both the health and safety plan, and the issues raised by the contractor. It will be interesting.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember the pious claims from the Exxon apologist about how transparent they must be, and how they must avoid paying off foreign powers. Usually known as bribery. They just don't want anyone to know what they actually do. They have been fighting regulations under the Dodd Frank Act--as well as fighting the Act and anything that the Administration does to reduce carbon emissions. They just lost in their battle with Oxfam.

Quote:
A fed­er­al judge ruled Wed­nes­day that the Se­cur­it­ies and Ex­change Com­mis­sion must fi­nally com­plete a long-delayed rule that would force oil, gas, and min­ing com­pan­ies to re­veal how much they’re pay­ing gov­ern­ments in coun­tries where they ex­tract re­sources.

The rul­ing in fa­vor of Ox­fam Amer­ica is a par­tial vic­tory for act­iv­ists who have been dis­mayed at the SEC’s slug­gish pace in writ­ing the reg­u­la­tion, which is re­quired un­der the 2010 Dodd-Frank law but has been trapped in leg­al and bur­eau­crat­ic limbo for years.

But the or­der stops short of set­ting a spe­cif­ic timeline that Ox­fam had sought in the law­suit filed last year, in­stead telling the SEC to provide the court an “ex­ped­ited sched­ule” for com­plet­ing the rule.

It’s the latest twist in a fierce, years-long leg­al and lob­by­ing battle over the reg­u­la­tions that have pit­ted anti-poverty groups against some of the world’s biggest oil com­pan­ies.

The rule is de­signed to chip away at the “re­source curse” of cor­rup­tion, con­flict, and poverty in en­ergy-rich na­tions in Africa and else­where. It would force SEC-lis­ted oil, nat­ur­al gas, and min­ing com­pan­ies to file re­ports with reg­u­lat­ors that dis­close pay­ments to gov­ern­ments in na­tions where they have pro­jects, such as money for pro­duc­tion li­censes, taxes, roy­al­ties, and more.
Ma­jor oil com­pan­ies such as Ex­xon have sought to weak­en re­quire­ments
, con­tend­ing that mak­ing de­tailed pay­ment in­form­a­tion pub­lic will hobble West­ern com­pan­ies com­pet­ing against state-con­trolled Rus­si­an and Chinese firms that aren’t bound by the rule.

But high-pro­file act­iv­ists, in­clud­ing George Sor­os and Bono, have ad­voc­ated for the meas­ure. Ox­fam and a suite of oth­er groups united un­der the Pub­lish What You Pay co­ali­tion say the flex­ib­il­ity that in­dustry wants, such as keep­ing spe­cif­ic com­pan­ies’ dis­clos­ure fil­ings out of pub­lic view, would gut the rule.
The rule has taken far, far longer than the 270-day dead­line in the Dodd-Frank law.

“The Court con­cludes … that the SEC’s delay in pro­mul­gat­ing the fi­nal ex­trac­tion pay­ments dis­clos­ure rule can be con­sidered ‘un­law­fully with­held’ as the duty to pro­mul­gate a fi­nal ex­trac­tion pay­ments dis­clos­ure rule re­mains un­ful­filled more than four years past Con­gress’s dead­line,” states Wed­nes­day’s or­der by Judge Den­ise J. Casper of the U.S. Dis­trict Court for the Dis­trict of Mas­sachu­setts.

The SEC com­pleted a ver­sion of the rule in Au­gust 2012, but the Amer­ic­an Pet­ro­leum In­sti­tute, the U.S. Cham­ber of Com­merce, and oth­er groups chal­lenged the meas­ure in court.
A fed­er­al judge sided with in­dustry and threw out that ver­sion in mid-2013, prompt­ing the SEC to de­cide to re­write it. The SEC pre­vi­ously said that the pro­cess could drag well in­to 2016.

“Today’s rul­ing com­pels the SEC to move quickly to provide re­lief to cit­izens and in­vestors who have been wait­ing for strong trans­par­ency re­quire­ments for more than five years. The task be­fore the Mary Jo White’s SEC is now crys­tal clear: a rule must be is­sued ur­gently,” said Ian Gary, seni­or policy man­ager of Ox­fam Amer­ica’s ex­tract­ive in­dus­tries pro­gram.

An SEC spokes­man said the agency is re­view­ing the de­cision.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would good corporate citizens spill 11 million gallons of crude oil by tolerating an alcoholic skipper? Would that oil still be doing damage decades later? Would apologists try to focus on anything else?

Quote:
By DAN JOLING, Associated Press

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — Federal scientists have determined that extremely low levels of crude oil spilled by the Exxon Valdez caused heart problems in embryonic fish, a conclusion that could shape how damage is assessed in other major spills.

In a study published Tuesday in the online journal Scientific Reports, researchers from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration found that embryonic herring and salmon exposed to low levels of crude oil developed misshapen hearts.

"Metabolically, they're different," said John Incardona, a research toxicologist at the Northwest Fisheries Science Center in Seattle. "They can't grow as well. They can't swim as fast."

The defects and subsequent vulnerability may explain why the herring population crashed several years after the spill in Alaska's Prince William Sound and has not recovered, scientists said.

The 986-foot Exxon Valdez struck a charted Bligh Reef at 12:04 am March 24, 1989, spilling 11 million gallons of crude oil. At the time, it was the largest spill in U.S. history. Oil extensively fouled shoreline spawning habitat of herring and pink salmon, the two most important commercial fish species in Prince William Sound.

Fish larvae sampled close to high concentrations of oil were found with abnormalities. Little was known in the early 1990s, however, about effects of low-level crude oil exposure on fish in early life stages, according to the study.

Pink salmon declined but recovered. The herring population collapsed three to four years after the Exxon Valdez ran aground and the role of the spill, NOAA Fisheries scientists acknowledged, remains controversial.

The silvery fish is a key species because it is eaten by salmon, seabirds and marine mammals from otters to whales. Four years after the spill, the estimated herring population based on modeling shrunk from 120 metric tons to less than 30 metric tons.

For the study, the scientists temporarily exposed herring and salmon embryos to low levels of Alaska North Slope crude oil before placing them back into clean water. The threshold for harm in herring was remarkably low, Incardona said.

"Herring in particular, they are really, really very sensitive," in part because their eggs and yolk sacs are so much smaller.

After exposure, scientists transferred fish embryos to clean water, let them grow for seven to eight months and tested them in swim tunnels.

Scientists used swimming speed as a measure of cardiorespiratory fitness. Fish exposed to the highest levels of oil swam slowest, likely making them easier targets for predators. He compared the damaged herring to infant children born with heart defects.

"The child doesn't grow well. It's called 'failure to thrive,'" a condition that can be corrected by a heart surgeon.

"That doesn't happen with fish," he said.

According to water samples collected in Prince William Sound during the 1989 herring spawning season, 98 percent of the samples had oil concentrations above the level that caused heart development problems among herring in the study. Juvenile salmon with heart defects, swimming more slowly and not pumping blood as efficiently as an unharmed fish, would be more vulnerable to predators and disease. It's not much of a leap, he said, to conclude that more juvenile mortality would have an effect on how many herring survive to be spawning adults.

The findings should contribute to more accurate assessments of other spills, such as the Deepwater Horizon disaster, which replaced the Exxon Valdez spill as the largest in U.S. history.

"And not just other spills," Incardona said. "For us down here in Puget Sound, one of our big concerns is just urbanization, and the little, tiny oil spills that happen every day as non-point source pollution. Certainly for both — large spills and everyday chronic pollution from fossil fuel use — are potentially producing the same kinds of effects."
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXTRA! EXTRA!
EPA caught covering up environmental impact of Animas River mine waste spill.
Pick your favorite news source and Read All About It!
I happened to catch it in a left wing McClatchey news release.

I hope some Republican ... ANY Republican ... turns out the lights on that obstreperous dinosaur of an agency.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
EXTRA! EXTRA!
EPA caught covering up environmental impact of Animas River mine waste spill.
Pick your favorite news source and Read All About It!

Agree. I would highly suggest reading ALL about it. The WHOLE story.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Isobars had posted a link, he might have actually made an effort to communicate....
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac

As you know, there is way more to this story than an edited video of the reaction of the EPA contractor in the field at the time of the blowout.

There is plenty of blame to go around. I find it very interesting to watch how those with special interests begin to spin the parts of the issue that meet their narrative.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

CB--true that. I would actually like to see some press coverage of the hearings. I remember a Congress that actually held hearings and solved problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 49 of 81

Jump to: