myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone sailing in Union Pier Michigan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Anyone sailing in Union Pier Michigan? Reply with quote

I'll be in Union Pier next week and I am bringing my windsurfer. I am still a beginner having just started in March of this year. Looking forward to trying it in Lake Michigan. Not sure how I am going to deal with the surf and big water. I have been learning on a lake in Louisiana. I have a Starboard Start, Ezzy Wave 5.8 and a Gaastra Matrix 8.0. Any tips would be appreciated.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the waves are small you can just walk your gear out beyond where they are breaking and then uphaul. Carrying your gear through the waves will be easier if you use your small sail.

Don't fart around any longer than necessary in the area where the waves are breaking. When you come in to shore, sail into as shallow water as possible before you hop off.

It will take a while to get used to balancing in the swells but it won't be that hard if you already have your basic knowledge of how to windsurf.

If the waves are big then you shouldn't attempt a direct attack. Look for a place where a jetty or something is blocking the waves and launch there.

Good luck.

Brian_S

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne,
In addition to James' advice, some local knowledge never hurts either. I don't sail often in that area, but you might find some others who are going out on www.miwindsurfing.com

Brian
Darbonne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a blast in Union Pier. There was one other guy windsurfing an older Mistral board but I never had the oppertunity to speak with him. The wind was mostly light so I putted around on my Start and a Gaastra Matrix 8.0 most of the time. The wind did pick up one day 10-15 MPH. On that day I sailed my Ezzy Wave 5.8. I am still learning so I didn't want to be overpowered. On the windy day I was caught by a guy sailing a Laser he came out and sailed a circle around me. We chatted briefly and he really liked the size of the Start he said he had an 80's windsurfer, and the Start looked good. I was surprised how much faster he was. All in all a good learning experience dealing with the surf and the chop.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in Union Pier again next week. This time with better skills and my Kona One. Anybody sailing in that area?
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how fast you'd be non-planing if you put a windsurfer rig on a Laser? haha

Once you get planing, you'll kill all manner of sailboats (except maybe for AC72s).
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to realize this Dennis. Just hope I have some wind. The Kona is a lot faster than the Start.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed a Kona One in Florida a year or so ago. Seems like a good one board solution unless one lives in an area where it blows really hard all the time.

Interesting the way the Kona kind of eases itself up onto a plane compared to the way a short board hops up onto a plane.

Have fun!!
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well . . .
Did you get to do some more Lake Michigan sailing? How was it?
Darbonne

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a mixed bag. First day the wind was good 10-15 mph, but I had a hard time dealing with the swell which was much different than my inland lake. Managed to get a couple of good planing reaches. Second day was a disaster. Went out in 20 mph winds with a small sail and got pounded. Third day sailing was just ok. 7 mph winds, so I slogged around and got passed by an SUP. Ha. Live and learn. I am living for the day where the perfect conditions meet my experience level and abilities. It is bound to happen sooner or later. thanks for asking by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: