myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter suppression, race-baiting and the GOP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people like being angry all the time. They will relentlessly search out "facts" to feed their anger (see above). It's pointless engaging with them. They don't want to be swayed. Did I mention the Chateau D'Yquem with dessert?
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno--thanks for a rational response, but I think you miss the point. We wouldn't have the term gerrymandering, with its connotation of unfairness, if both parties hadn't tried to redraw districts to their advantage for centuries. In California we took it out of the hands of the legislature and gave it to an independent Commission dominated by judges in the hopes that we would get more competitive districts and force both parties to be more moderate. It seems to be an improvement.

I also wouldn't be so quick to defend Texas' electoral fairness. Most historians, notably Robert Caro, believe that Democrats stole the votes for LBJ's initial Senatorial election. Of course that was when the Southern Democrats were the party that embraced racists....

So let's look at the redistricting issue, the current status, and the view of the Latino litigants. Legally, I think, that parties can create safe districts--as long as the impacts are not disparate racially. Recall that the opponents obtained an injunction against the Republican redistricting--only possible if the initial court finds that there would be irreperable harm and the opponents have a strong likelihood of prevailing on the merits.

Here from a Latino source: http://www.newstaco.com/2011/12/01/how-texas-redistricting-lawsuit-really-went-down/

But even more pithy is this quote from one of the expert witnesses:

Quote:
HF: Maverick County was divided in half, but that was restored. When I first looked at the map that was the first thing that jumped out at me. The Texas legislature also divided the Latino community into three parts, with the 20th, 23rd and 35th districts. Our point was, when they did that, they literally violated the Voting Rights Act because they diluted the Latino vote.

To me the most extreme case was that they literally hunted for Latino precincts where Latinos underperformed to put them into districts that looked like Latino districts, but were low-performing Latino districts in order to stymy the vote.

The Supreme Court calendar is so long they will probably not get to it until after the election; it’s a badly timed appeal. The final map will probably be closer to the court map— never to the Republican map.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I predicted he wouldn't respond on substance--but with a polite insult. I'm happy to be right.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is fun. A bit of turn-about for the gander:

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
― Voltaire

“Some things you must always be unable to bear. Some things you must never stop refusing to bear. Injustice and outrage and dishonor and shame. No matter how young you are or how old you have got. Not for kudos and not for cash: your picture in the paper nor money in the back either. Just refuse to bear them.”
― William Faulkner

“I am a person who is unhappy with things as they stand. We cannot accept the world as it is. Each day we should wake up foaming at the mouth because of the injustice of things.”
― Hugo Claus

I seem to be in good company.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a guy is willing to work 2 or 3 minumim wage jobs, I'm sure he can work out picking up a free ID on his way from one to another.

I assume that after 13 years of free public education, the poor are smart enough to pick up an ID. More importantly, if they can fill out the forms to get their welfare check and cash it, they can get an ID. If they can use a smart phone, they can get an ID. If they can figure out how to use their govt paid cable box, they can get an ID. For those who are profoundly disabled, there should be a waiver.

The man who is working more than 1 job, will not be making minimum wage for long. He will eventually be the boss if he wants to.

Interesting fact: It is the blue collar worker who is more likely to vote for Romney. The working lower middle class if you will....
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:

Interesting fact: It is the blue collar worker who is more likely to vote for Romney. The working lower middle class if you will....

How is that a fact?
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho, Ho, Ho
- Santa Claus
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
If a guy is willing to work 2 or 3 minumim wage jobs, I'm sure he can work out picking up a free ID on his way from one to another.

I assume that after 13 years of free public education, the poor are smart enough to pick up an ID. More importantly, if they can fill out the forms to get their welfare check and cash it, they can get an ID. If they can use a smart phone, they can get an ID. If they can figure out how to use their govt paid cable box, they can get an ID. For those who are profoundly disabled, there should be a waiver.

The man who is working more than 1 job, will not be making minimum wage for long. He will eventually be the boss if he wants to.

Do you remember the lady who Bush ran into on the street who he called her uniquely american for working 3 jobs.

again when the country was founded what ID did you need to vote.

again there is no problem with voting without an ID ever shown. 100 in 8 years it is more likely winning the lottery.

Again no state ID is proof you are an american. So it is nothing but vote suppression...

again right wingers even said Obama's birth certificate is not real even though the sec of state of Hawaii said it is real, so what do we do to have to do to prove dems are americans other than buy a gun and shoot a doctor, mail anthrax to politicians, shoot a politician, blow up a federal building?

again this is still america, we are innocent till proven guilty. It is your cost to prove I am not an american when I say I am.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean Santa Bush? His tax cuts added $2.6 trillion to the deficit. People making over $3 million/year got an average tax cut of $520,000. Middle class people--like a teacher making $60,000/year got a tax cut of $1,000/year. You can do the math in your head--that's $20/week. Two trips to McDonalds for a family of 4. Or save up for a month and the parents can go out to a nice restaurant. Are we surprised that the result was a meager 1% growth rate in jobs?

Of course, that doesn't include slashing inheritance taxes, or the sweetheart arrangements on capital gains. How much do those benefit the poor? But Mitt and George sure do benefit. And they've already bought the votes of the rich. Are we surprised that those people who got tremendous tax cuts are contributing heavily to efforts like Crossroads to defeat Obama?

The wonderful thing about the greedy is that there is never enough to fill the hole in the soul.
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the distinct impression no anti-ID advocates have even seen the long, detailed, simple lists, from several states' AGs, of ways in which getting an ID can be done. Anyone, in any circumstances, with an occasional heartbeat can have an ID without lifting a finger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 2 of 41

Jump to: