myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter suppression, race-baiting and the GOP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no fraud; the purpose of the laws is to reduce minority turnout and give the Republicans a better chance. No more, no less.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its inexcusable to not have an ID , and the lefts excuses are pathetic. That being said I wonder how much fraud there actually is. In my home town where I vote you have to list your name and address, and after being confirmed you are handed a ballot. Is this the same elsewhere?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
WFAA- Dallas

Posted on February 27, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Updated Monday, Feb 27 at 7:21 PM
ROCKWALL — A verdict has come down in the Carlos Medrano case.

The former Dallas County justice of the peace was found guilty of illegal voting.

Allegations of voter fraud involving the powerful Medrano family of Dallas were played out in a Rockwall County courthouse in a trial that started February 14.Frank Medrano was cleared of one count of making false statements to a grand jury.

Five other members of the Medrano family also face trial on charges of illegal voting and lying to a grand jury.

Carlos Medrano stepped down from the bench before the trial.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/FormerDallas--140611433.html

There is voter fraud and there have been dozens of convictions in Texas. What we don't know is how wide spread it is and if voter ID will fix the problem.

Which is more important?

1. Be sure that all votes cast are valid (voter ID probably won't do this, but it will help).
2. Be sure that everyone that wants to vote can do so even if some vote illegally (there could be some that for whatever reason can't get an ID and won't vote, but I think this issue is blown way out of proportion by the liberals).

Then there is this issue in Florida:

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - In a victory for Republicans, the federal government has agreed to let Florida use a law enforcement database to challenge people's right to vote if they are suspected of not being U.S. citizens.

The agreement, made in a letter to Florida Gov. Rick Scott's administration that was obtained by The Associated Press, grants the state access to a list of resident noncitizens maintained by the Homeland Security Department. The Obama administration had denied Florida's request for months but relented after a judge ruled in the state's favor in a related voter-purge matter.

Voting rights groups, while acknowledging that noncitizens have no right to vote, have expressed alarm about using such data for a purpose not originally intended: purging voter lists of ineligible people. They also say voter purges less than four months before a presidential election might leave insufficient time to correct mistakes stemming from faulty data or other problems.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120715/DA011J7O1.html

It seems that the Obama administration was more concerned that a few eligible voters in Florida could be listed as illegals than the high likelihood that there were large numbers of illegals on the voting lists.

I recall that this is a continuing issue with other states running into similar governmental road blocks regarding purging ineligible voters from their lists.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ID check in California. However, what I normally do is bring my sample ballot which has my name and address printed on it, and it also identifies the specific polling location in my neighborhood where I'm registered and authorized to vote. The volunteers working at the polling center locate my name and address on their printed listing, and I then sign my name on that line. Once they've received my signature, I'm given a ballot. Pretty simple really, and as I've pointed out in the past, I have never experienced a situation where someone had voted as me.

This whole voter ID requirement is a specious solution looking for a problem. Voter fraud is statistically non-existent, and that's a fact. I'm of the opinion that voter ID laws are passed to disenfranchise various segments of the population that tend to vote Democratic. Another point that I've made in the past is that if ID validation is required, it should be done up front when one initially registers to vote. There is absolutely no reason to set up an ID verification gauntlet for every election event. Now I know that our friends here on the right disagree with me on this, but I wonder what they propose to do to verify one's picture ID when folks elect to submit an absentee ballot by mail rather than vote in person at their authorized polling location. I seriously doubt that our worried Republican friends would require all those folks who elect to submit an absentee ballot by mail be required to personally come into an authorized facility to pick up their absentee ballot and present a picture ID to get it each and every time there's a scheduled election event.
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
WFAA- Dallas

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/FormerDallas--140611433.html

There is voter fraud and there have been dozens of convictions in Texas. What we don't know is how wide spread it is and if voter ID will fix the problem.

Which is more important?

1. Be sure that all votes cast are valid (voter ID probably won't do this, but it will help).
2. Be sure that everyone that wants to vote can do so even if some vote illegally (there could be some that for whatever reason can't get an ID and won't vote, but I think this issue is blown way out of proportion by the liberals).

Then there is this issue in Florida:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120715/DA011J7O1.html

It seems that the Obama administration was more concerned that a few eligible voters in Florida could be listed as illegals than the high likelihood that there were large numbers of illegals on the voting lists.

I recall that this is a continuing issue with other states running into similar governmental road blocks regarding purging ineligible voters from their lists.
first can you show where it is a few as you indicate. I am more familiar with Pennsylvania where the number is millions.

A fundamental right of any american that is sacred is the right to vote. I think we can agree on that.

What is funny is you cited a vote fraud case that the people have IDs. You elude to this issue... But lets be specific before millions lose their votes. Also just as the indiana republican in charge of the state voting, sec of state that was recently convicted of vote fraud. He had an ID.

You do know that the majority of real vote fraud cases that are caught are felons and people who vote in two places that all have IDs. (note some states allow felons to vote so it is a confusing issue if one of them does move to a state that does not allow, after all most felons are not avid listeners of politics would be my guess)

Making several million americans lose their right to vote because there are 100 in 8 years that IDs "may" have stopped.

State IDs can be bought from china now for incredibly low prices. Much more than a legal one but for those who want them for other reasons they are available.

again not one state has the ability or the money to verify significant numbers of IDs.

And as I posted before even the president of the USA can not prove it to right wing wacos even with the sec of stae of Hawaii saying he is, so do the right wing wacos next challenge every blacks birth certificates.

A picture ID was never envisioned by the founders. What was used the first 100 years of our countries existence.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must show IDs to buy cigarettes, alcohol, spray paint, nonprescription decongestant nose spray ... hell, Big Gulps in New York City. Need 'em to drive our own cars or rent one, use my credit card at Home Depot, rent a shovel, watch a PG13 movie, get a job, or turn on the water. Those actions are all choices we make which require ID to do.

OTOH, no citizen (and sure as hell no illegal alien) not a member of the electoral college has any constitutional right to vote in a presidential election.

Since ANY warm, human citizen can get an ID card with virtually no effort -- even after voting -- and voter fraud does occur, why not require it?
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:

Since ANY warm, human citizen can get an ID card with virtually no effort -- even after voting -- and voter fraud does occur, why not require it?

Or, why require it? Don't insult our intelligence trying to convince us that this whole move is about preventing voter fraud. The White Man's Party just wants to keep the Colored Folk out of the process. Let's be honest here.

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
We must show IDs to buy cigarettes, alcohol, spray paint, nonprescription decongestant nose spray ... hell, Big Gulps in New York City. Need 'em to drive our own cars or rent one, use my credit card at Home Depot, rent a shovel, watch a PG13 movie, get a job, or turn on the water. Those actions are all choices we make which require ID to do.

OTOH, no citizen (and sure as hell no illegal alien) not a member of the electoral college has any constitutional right to vote in a presidential election.

as far as your concern with the forelisted that IDs are needed..... do you know that using a fake one gets you all those items...

and most important do you know the difference between a right and a privilege?
mac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windoggie has it right. Why don't you guys just man up and say, we're using the presence of a half dozen or so actual voter fraud cases to disenfranchise as many of the 5 million black folk who won't vote for Romney as we possibly can. This is how the Republicans abuse power when they get it.

There was voting fraud in the past--ward politics in the big cities up through the first Daley in Chicago--and the ballot stuffing in Texas that elected LBJ Senator. It was done in ways that wouldn't have been affected by the voter ID laws, and has largely been stopped by independent Secretaries of State in most states. The purpose of the voter ID laws is to limit minority voting. Man up and admit it.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did isobars respond to my final comment? No chance, because he can't invent a response that would sell to most Republicans. What about you other folks that swear by the Republican mantra? Should the receipt of absentee ballots require photo ID at an approved facility? I have to ask, who is going to provide the funds to staff those facilities for weeks before an election?

Questions that are hard to answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 3 of 41

Jump to: