myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East Coast Speed Quest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis, "waterproof" turns out to be many different things. You can put a new GT-31 in a bowl of water and leave it there for 30 minutes and it will be fine. But it definitely can not take the high speeds that you hit the water with when windsurfing, so a waterproof armband is a must. Semsons, the US distributor, does point that out clearly when you try to buy one. But if you buy through Amazon, you do not see the warning.

The waterproofing it has helps you when you get a bit of water in the bag, which always seems to happen after a few uses. The GT-31 can handle that without problems. That said, I have seen a GT-31 fail in a "waterproof" bag that was full of water. But this seemed to be the result of a fall right onto the GT-31, the housing had a few broken screw mounts when I took it apart. I now sometimes double-bag the GT-31 in a small plastic bag, but only if I don't want to read the display on the water.

As Roo has pointed out several times, the GT-31 is a bit ancient now. It works fine for straight line speed, but the 1 second between measurements means that the doppler speed in turns is always too low (non-doppler accuracy is also too poor). No big deal unless you want to analyze tight jibes. Still, the technology to make a GPS with doppler, 10 Hz, full waterproofing (think GoPro), and Bluetooth to announce current speed over headphones is there, so I wish someone would start making & selling a GPS like this.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.

as for a do-it-all GPS there was the ShadowboxLive a couple of years ago that had GPS, accelerometers, altimeter,yaw and pitch, and was fully waterproof.

They used it for some jumping competitions, but alas, the company has died.

It was originally developed for wakeboarding, but could be used for windsurfing, kiting, skiiing, etc.

Last edited by whitevan01 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developing a do it all solution for speedsailing is not cost effective, there is such a small market there's no chance of a return on your investment. The company that originally built the GT-11 sold off the design to someone else who thought they could make money from it, they soon realised the margins were small and dropped any development of the GT-31.

10hz systems have been around for a long time and it's possible to build your own system that works via bluetooth with a phone or pda. Alas there's no turnkey package that meets everyone's needs.

Roo
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
full waterproofing (think GoPro)

GoPro cases are not fully waterproof either. One down for the count.

I think a custom case for GT-31 would be nice with seals and screws to crank it shut.
Kind of surprised there is no aftermarket vendor out there with these designs for both a GT-31 and GoPro.

I have seen custom boxes for GoPro's, to working depths of 200ft, just not for sale.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to it, got the GT 31 locosys with waterproof pouch/ armband, and can't wait to try it out. Nearly a year has passed since anyone posted on this thread, but I am sure there are many of you waiting with baited breath for the fall winds! September is here, and the long wait is coming to a close. All of my sailing this summer has been limited to 7.5 and 9.0 with only a few 5.8 days. Rather ho-hum.

Saturday Aug. 31 I decided to take a chance and sail Ninigrett in the 10-15 with gusts to 20 forcast, which proved to be accurate. Mostly Formula guys on 10.0 - 11.0 . One guy had a GT 31 unit and posted a top speed of 30 knts. Unfortunatey my battery was low and my unit would not work.
I'm using a Tabou rocket 145 L with 7.5 Ezzy cheetah and Sailworks Retro 9.0 for light wind. I used the 9.0 and had no problem with it! I weigh 150 and this was only the 2nd time using it.Had some trouble staying up wind due in part to the gusty conditions, but am wondering if a more upright fin will help. Using a True Ames Shallow Water Weed 15.5

Really looking forward to this fall!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: