myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm trying to make my response fair but also incremental, rather than to start with flaming and running down Exocet I'm ratcheting up my response as the situation progresses.
I also have received a PM from another disgruntled owner who will remain silent for now.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:

Then I contacted the dealer and gave him the link to this thread, he contacted Exocet but wasn't getting the response that would help.

Do you have a decent relationship with your dealer? I.e., have you been a longtime customer? The dealer is the intermediary between the customer and the manufacturer and they should be acting at least reasonably on your behalf. If you aren't getting the answers you expect, you need to make that clear to the dealer and let then know that if you don't get a reasonable resolution to this problem, you're going to take your business elsewhere in the future. It's not going to make a huge difference to Exocet if they lose one customer, but dealers, especially in the US, NEED every customer.

Your board is broken, and it is clearly due to design flaw. Exocet and the dealer should be taking care of their customer.

sm
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a small island where nobody sells windsurfing gear let alone Exocets, I bought the board from a dealer in a location far from me and it was delivered in a box by air. I had no prior or continuing relationship with the dealer.
sailaero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Sorry to jump in on this late but we have been away at a trade show this last week. I am the North American importer for Exocet. I can only help on claims that are sent to us directly.We try to do the best we can to handle any warranty situation that involes a defect on any product we sell. We have been in this business since 1983 so we are not new and try to treat our customers like we want to be treated.
When you have a warranty claim it is important that you contact the dealer first. The dealer should then contact us, not Exocet in Europe. If it goes through Europe it will delay things and in some cases you will have a language barrier or a different policy on warranty.
We have seen some defective Windsup boards on some of the early AST 11'8 boards. All legitimate claims have been honored with our repair or replacement policy. We have seen less than 5% defect rate which is higher than the 2% rate we usually see. Keep in mind the Wind Sup board is one of the best selling boards in the Country and we were sold out for much of the year.
It is often hard to determine what is a legitimate warranty and what is a defect. When we see the same thing happening on a large percentage of boards it indicates a problem with manufacturing. With long boards they have no warranty for jumping as that is beyond what any long board is designed for. Warranty also does not cover impact. If a board comes into hard contact with the bottom and buckles by being rolled in the surf this is not a warranty either. Warranty also does not cover a board being straped down hard against a bare roof rack and denting the bottom. I am not saying that this is what happened in any of the warranty claims but there are often two sides to a story.
Even when I feel it is not a legitimate claim we will often pay for a repair or share in the cost if an accurate account of what went wrong cannot be determined. If anyone feels they have not been treated fairly on a warranty situation please contact me directly at sailaero@aol.com and I will do my best to settle the matter. I have to know about a claim in order to do anything about it.
Best Regards
Steve Gottlieb
Aerotech Sails
Exocet North America.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reply.

The OP did notify the dealer, way back,who it seems in turn notified the Exocet representatives in France, you not being in the loop , that doesn't seem to be his fault.

Most people who carry boards on roof racks , place the bottom side down,

if straps did this, pretty soft bottom.

yes indeed 2 sides to each story and all we get is the tip of the iceberg

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailaero wrote:
If anyone feels they have not been treated fairly on a warranty situation please contact me directly at sailaero@aol.com and I will do my best to settle the matter.

I did, and I received a very quick and encouraging response from Steve Gottlieb. We'll see how things develop, I'll keep you posted.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My situation is different, I live on Kauai and when I decided to buy the board I found the shipping very expensive. I discovered a dealer in New Zealand had the board for more than $300 less because of a difference in exchange rate and the shipping was about the same so I bought it from them.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrice is requesting that I make a video showing someone pushing on the bottom of the board to show it is not soft.
Now I have to figure out how to do that, can a cell phone video be sent via email?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may depend on what phone you have

you can send a photo, video ..don't know

via text, use the email address to send , works on my IPhone

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to get the video from the phone to your computer via usb cable or removable card? if you can't figure out the sending from the phone. Then attach to Email.

beaglebuddy wrote:
can a cell phone video be sent via email?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: