myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2

for your info. boards that get stacked on racks, one on top of another, then get cranked down way too hard, sometimes with mechanical winches, have been known to buckle. any board that experiences point loads that become quite severe, at times, could suffer. it's very rare, but could happen to any board, given over enthusiastic tie down forces.

some people know far too much about incidents and accidents. dealers get to see it all after dealing with thousands of human situations over many decades.

some people do not put their boards deck up. straps/marlow can dig into the business part of rails when they do so. again, when using mechanical devices for tensioning, or even 200 lbs of their body weight, the boards' could be compromised. it has happened. again, any board.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailaero wrote:

" Warranty also does not cover a board being straped down hard against a bare roof rack and denting the bottom. I am not saying that this is what happened in any of the warranty claims but there are often two sides to a story. "

this to me is a reference to the bottom being crushed against the bare metal roof bars.

which is different than boards stacked . For all we know the board gets transported inside. no one has said that Exocet is alone in board damage

I am surprised you had no entries on this thread prior. Most on here have stated support to resolve the issue where you have offered this could happen to any board, fair enough your POV

Thanks for the refresher study on roof board damage.

the real issue here, and hopefully to the OP benefit is receive some satisfaction in the way of customer service, that perhaps would not have occurred without some adverse publicity

I think the points have been made and only would like to see a amicable decision made.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

for your info. boards that get stacked on racks, one on top of another, then get cranked down way too hard, sometimes with mechanical winches, have been known to buckle.

That situation can happen but it would be the shorter board stacked on top of a longer board with it's nose and tail resting on the longer board then getting buckled as the strap tightens.
Not really any boards longer than the windsup in common usage.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding getting a video to Patrice, I'm thinking that you can download your video from a camera or cellphone onto your computer, and then burn a DVD. Then you can mail the DVD to Exocet.

Also, one way to discern whether the bottom of the board has been compromised is to do the coin test. Take a coin, let's say a quarter, between your thumb and your first two fingers, you tap it in the areas around the damage, to include areas well away from it. You will get a crisp sound if the bottom is of proper integrity, but you get a much duller sound around potentially damaged areas. With older windsurfing boards that include footstraps, it's the areas of the bottom under the footstraps and between them where you hear the duller sounds indicating that you're losing the original integrity of the bonded laminations to the EPS foam. This doesn't necessarily signify a complete delamination or separation of everything, but it does reflect the beginning of a breakdown of the internal EPS foam and the bond to it.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, what happened?
get it all sorted?

Boardhead1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to do the tap test on the bottom of the board to check for delamination use a Nickel, it has a smooth edge and is a bit wider than a quarter. We would use the same technique to check the composite tail-rotter blades on the USCG HH-65 Dolphine Helicopter. Works well Just did the test on a SUP board and found some delamination due to water intrusion. Hole in the side of the board! Just some more info hope it helps. Michael
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not resolved at all, need to get them the video and too much other nonsense going on. My wife needs to help me with this and she hasn't been available.
The board is completely sound on the bottom with the exception of a large crack about to break it into two.
I sailed it pretty fast in very flat water the other day and the crack is now starting to run up the sides onto the rails and a large chip of the finish has come off so the board is now out of commission until repaired. Sad
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that sucks..
good luck with that.

3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that the case is still pending.
Your story shows one thing talk is cheap, action show character.
That's what I think should have happen: asses the situation and make a decision with in 1 week either decline, accept or cut the person a deal on a new product.

Jurg

www.windsurfdeal.com
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2/25/13 video sent let's see what happens now.
The board is literally ready to break in half now with one more hard sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: