myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board getting ready to break in half?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent them the video one week ago, still waiting. Confused
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
The board is literally ready to break in half now with one more hard sail.

Yeah, I recently got that appraisal, more or less, with one of my boards. It's beyond warranty, so I had to choose between a) paying more than the board cost me for deck replacement and structural overhaul not even counting destruction of its several-hundred-dollar custom graphics and b) expecting to swim the pieces in one of these days. I am choosing the latter and staying within swim distance (a kilometer?) with it. Fortunately it's not a high-wind board, so it's not getting spanked like smaller boards do.

Your replacement, reimbursed repair, or refund seem to depend more on the integrity of the hands through which it passed from factory to you than on whether it's creased or snapped, so maybe you have little more to lose other than a swim. The dealer, distributor, importer, factory, OTOH, all have future sales at stake, now that we have the internet.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracks going up the rails now and a new crack developing just in front of the daggerboard case.

0304131005.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  333.68 KB
 Viewed:  13396 Time(s)

0304131005.jpg

0304131004.jpg
 Description:
WTF now?
 Filesize:  383.71 KB
 Viewed:  13397 Time(s)

0304131004.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your board has already snapped in two. It just doesn't know it yet because you haven't separated the halves. If your dealer and/or Exocet won't replace it, how are the Small Claims courts in your state?

After Pontiac Motors shoved my warranty up my tailpipe despite my hard proof their excuses were false, my dealer stepped up to the plate and paid half the transmission replacement cost out of their pocket and my dealer mechanic did the labor free; he had indisputable mechanical evidence the failure was the factory's fault. (I got the rest in satisfaction by costing them many sales over the next 40 years.)

These days I'd be laughing all the way to the bank; the total and instantaneous rear wheel lockup due to a foreign body inside the tranny of my fairly new car put my car sideways at freeway speeds. Your claim isn't a highway safety issue, but you seem to have their reputation in your hands even if Small Claims fails you. Check into that; it's virtually free and usually sides with legitimate complaints.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Bummer Reply with quote

Wow, beaglebuddy, that is a real bummer!

And here I was exhorting members to buy new gear to help the shops and the industry out. You bought new gear and got burned. I am hoping your case is very, very rare.

Windward1
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo of the cracks in front of the dagger board are very similar to what happened to my 11'8. Thankfully Steve at Sandy Point Progressive authorized to have the board replaced, can't say enough on who well he handled the issue. First class.
Sorry that you are having this problem I hope that you get your new board soon.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
how are the Small Claims courts in your state?

Mike, I live on Kauai and when I decided to buy the board I found the shipping very expensive. I discovered a dealer in New Zealand had the board for more than $300 less because of a difference in exchange rate and the shipping was about the same so I bought it from them.
I would love to sue someone in small claims but in this situation it doesn't seem possible. Mad
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
The photo of the cracks in front of the dagger board are very similar to what happened to my 11'8. Thankfully Steve at Sandy Point Progressive authorized to have the board replaced, can't say enough on who well he handled the issue. First class.
Sorry that you are having this problem I hope that you get your new board soon.

I just noticed the little crack in front of the daggerboard, did your board start to break in half at this spot? How bad did it get?
Mine IS broken in half about 2' in front of this.
So I guess I should say my board is getting ready to break into thirds. Mad
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I live on Kauai and when I decided to buy the board I found the shipping very expensive. I discovered a dealer in New Zealand had the board for more than $300 less because of a difference in exchange rate and the shipping was about the same so I bought it from them.
I would love to sue someone in small claims but in this situation it doesn't seem possible. Mad

Ah, yes ... I recall now. I hadn't bothered to review the thread because the same advice might help out someone else at some point.
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just noticed the little crack in front of the daggerboard, did your board start to break in half at this spot? How bad did it get?
Mine IS broken in half about 2' in front of this.

So I guess I should say my board is getting ready to break into thirds.

Yes, that's where mine started. Than a line across the hull in front of that, an indentation, like yours. The replacement came before it got much worse. The cracks were taking in water too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: