myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Old Board Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Old Board Question Reply with quote

Hey do old SOFT boards break easier? I sailed an older (maybe 4 years old) rental board on Maui (JP FSW). The top was as soft as a pillow, could have doubled as a nice soft pillow that night to sleep on. The bottom was solid and it sailed just fine in 6 foot faces with 4.0 wind-pretty radical day as far as the wind goes combined with some pretty decent waves for Uppers. I traded it in as I was afraid it would break on the next jump. So what is the answer?
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, thought you were an advanced sailor, but I"m wrong, as usual.
Soft deck, you mean delamed, or do you mean full length deck pads?
Delamed, from lots of usage, mostly landings.
Full length deck pads, well, some boards have DOUBLE full length deck pads.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Board Question Reply with quote

You're lucky it didn't break in half on the 1st ride, if the softness
was the hull and not nice cushiony padding.

-Craig

beallmd wrote:
Hey do old SOFT boards break easier? I sailed an older (maybe 4 years old) rental board on Maui (JP FSW). The top was as soft as a pillow, could have doubled as a nice soft pillow that night to sleep on. The bottom was solid and it sailed just fine in 6 foot faces with 4.0 wind-pretty radical day as far as the wind goes combined with some pretty decent waves for Uppers. I traded it in as I was afraid it would break on the next jump. So what is the answer?
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't need any padding!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O, clearer now.
Delamed, the deck offers no structural integrity, allowing the bottom lamination and the foam to flex, while the top does little to prevent excessive flexing. Only 2/3rds the structural strength, it can buckle easily on any big landings.
beallmd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of other thoughts on this; A board after a year or two does soften up under the footpads and just in front, I wonder when the "tipping point" is reached? Is there more of the meat of the board on the bottom, that is, is the top not as essential to the integrity?
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't bother to read the post above yours.
After all, the poster doesn't know anything. He only worked at retail windsurfing shops in the SanFrancisco area for 20+ years and broke more than 6 boards clean in half himself.
Besides, he was only a development rider for Seatrend and Haut, working on different construction layups to prevent delams and breakage.
What would he possibly have to contribute?
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
A couple of other thoughts on this; A board after a year or two does soften up under the footpads and just in front, I wonder when the "tipping point" is reached? Is there more of the meat of the board on the bottom, that is, is the top not as essential to the integrity?

The top (deck) of the board is absolutely essential to the integrity of the board. The board is not comprised of two separate, independent surfaces. It is a structure - think of it as an I-beam. If the top of the board goes soft, you have essentially cut off the top flange of your I-beam. The strength of the board diminishes not just a little, but by orders of magnitude.

A properly built board will last for years and years, even when subjected to jumping and other abuse.

Bottom line, if you're looking at buying a board with the deck "pillow soft," do yourself a favor and stick your money back in your pocket and walk away.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: