myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wyatt and Tyson’s La Ventana / Baja Report Season 3 and 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun abounds down here, but I guess we haven't done anything crazy enough lately to stir up a new post. Gotta be more on it cause we sure have been having a ton of fun.

Last 4 days have been solid 4.8 - 5.4 all afternoon. Been blasting around on quads mornings and evenings, drinking ballenas on the couch with raucous games of couchball. Watching the full moon rise at sunset. Eating Tacos and bacon wrapped Rucci dogs. Partying to various degrees. Snorkeling and spearfishing. I guess it is just all too normal. Well that should all end today as Casey Hauser and Bryan Metcalf-Perez are due to show up this evening after a 12 hour drive from Guerrero Negro. They are spinning tales of giant NW swell and Mast hight 5.0 sessions at Alejandro's in the 7 sisters with JP Bowles. A new crew always encourages a little fiesta. Plus today is the 3rd day of slalom racing for the La Ventana Race Series probably post some photos from that later.

But here goes a few tasty morsels for ya.

couchsunset.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.19 KB
 Viewed:  16095 Time(s)

couchsunset.jpg

TyFunnel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  133.52 KB

TyFunnel.jpg

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 9.49.11 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.42 KB

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 9.49.11 AM.png

CurtisVUlcan.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.56 KB

CurtisVUlcan.jpg

BerkeleyAVe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  236.27 KB

BerkeleyAVe.jpg

TYWILLYSKIPPER.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.56 KB

TYWILLYSKIPPER.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya and one more thing.

For those of you looking for a warm, windy, spring time destination Tyson and I have just confirmed the dates for our annual Cabarete Pro Clinics.

We have teamed up with Vela Cabarate for the 2nd year in a row and will be running two back to back week long clinics.

April 8-12 and April 15-19.

If you have never been, Cabarete is awesome, super warm and windy. The set up is kinda like Maui where you have a big flat / bump and jump area on the inside and then you go 200yds out and you have a nice reef with gentle waves and a nice channel to sneak out. The SUPing is incredible and the night time parties go off. No need to drive anywhere just walk down from the hotels to the Vela center on the beach. All the bars and restaurants are right next to each other so you can cruise the strip to your hearts content barefoot if you like. Food is cheap and good and the rum flows like water.

We will be running clinics all afternoon, and will taper the topics to the group. Since we have two instructors we can always split the group up for separate topics if need be. It went really well last year (will never forget everyone freaking out on how achievable a one handed lay-down jibe was).

Contact Vela to sign up. Its going to be a blast.

Check out: www.cabareteclinics.com

Cab real dates.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.06 KB
 Viewed:  15774 Time(s)

Cab real dates.jpg

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.14.40 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  515.77 KB
 Viewed:  15851 Time(s)

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.14.40 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.09.58 AM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.86 KB

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.09.58 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.10.29 AM.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.27 KB

Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.10.29 AM.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the 4th set of slalom races here at the La Ventana Race series. This was by far the best slalom we have had. I was out on my JP 59 and Neil Pryde 7.0 pretty lit! Was stoked to get out on the fast gear and hold on for some races. Neil Foley was setting up the course in the 25knot with one of the Mexican panga captains. Huge thanks to him for sitting on the boat all day, running the races. I think keeping Neil and the captain well stocked with Pacificos helped a bit...

The first race started off with a good start at the line, allowing me to get some really good separation from the pack by the first buoy. Everything changed though when I was rounding the second mark. I was taking it a bit too easy and ended up crashing, allowing good friend and training partner, Casey Hauser, to pass me, along with kiter Adam Withington. I finally got my sail out of the water and knew I had some work to do if I didn't want to lose to the kiter, let alone Casey. By the second to last leg, I was able to pass Adam and come within a board length of Casey. Ended up getting a second in that race, even though I had a good start. Got to hear about it from Casey the whole way back up the course to the start line.

Second race went a lot better. Hit the start right on time and never looked back. Decided not to take it easy through the course on this one. I turned the speed on in the straights, and hammered the jibes, putting a good distance between me and Casey Hauser in second place.

The third race was very much the same, except I decided to start at the boat this time, instead of the pin. The wind was blasting, so I was able to take a lot deeper line to the first mark, keeping my board under control at the higher speeds. Casey and I hit the start at the same time, but I was able to drop in front of him half way to the first mark, dumping all my bad wind on him. I could hear him yelling at me the whole way to the buoy. Almost ate shit because I was laughing at the things he was saying. Made it to the first mark ahead of the pack and stayed that way till the finish.

We took a break after that race for some water and to change gear. While we were all on the beach, Neil and the captain drove around and changed the start line without telling anyone. For the first three races, the pin was wayyyy favored, only being able to hit the boat if you were wayyy over powered. I think I was the only one who noticed the change because the next two races I was hitting the boat when the rest of the pack was hitting the pin. It allowed me to put a good lead in front of everyone before the first mark.

The last race of the day was a bit tricky. First of all, the wind was dying fast, but we didn't have enough time to re-rig. Secondly, the second mark had broke lose and was drifting really far downwind. It drifted so deep, that after casey and I rounded the first mark, We didn't think we could make it to the second one. This gave Adam and his kite a huge advantage. I was really underpowered and watched Adam scream by me on his way to the second mark. I wasn't going to let this happen. I did all that I could to keep up my speed and stay within three board lengths behind him. As he hit the second mark, he crashed, allowing me to catch up a bit. The thing is, when a kiter crashes, they don't come to a complete stop, and it is much quicker for them to get up and going. Also, you cant really get around them because of the lines. He was able to butt check and get right back up. The thing that helped me was that because the buoy had drifted so far, it made the third leg really tight. This is where a windsurfer is a lot faster. I was able to make up the two board lengths behind that I was, as well as put at least three in front of him before hitting the third mark. After that, I had clean wind and water all the way to the finish line.

All in all, I ended the day with one 2nd place and four 1st places. Stoked on how the race series is going and that we have had wind for every one of them. Thanks to everyone who came out for the races. Looking forward to the next one! See you on the water!

Startline.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.62 KB
 Viewed:  15730 Time(s)

Startline.jpg

Firstbouey.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65 KB

Firstbouey.jpg

CaseyJibing the 2nd to last mark.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.99 KB

CaseyJibing the 2nd to last mark.jpg

Slalom Racing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  119.66 KB

Slalom Racing.jpg

dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I wonder: what is that line of ugly "cabins" on the beach? Is it where the campground used to be?

And on a different note ... I do find the Berkeley sign a bit obnoxious, La Ventana used to be a wonderful small fisherman village and it is a bit sad to see it taken over to this extent ...
poussin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Why is the Berkeley sign a problem? Reply with quote

Have you been to La Ventana lately? It's still pretty damn small and mellow.
These 2 guys, (Wyatt and Tyson) go down once a year and offer windsurfing as well as other activities on a very small scale should be appreciated in this small industry.
A Berkeley sign posted in the sand is not exactly as though MacDonald's and the Marriott have come to take over. It's a bit of home away-from-home in a very inoffensive manner.
Get over it.

Keep up the good work Wyatt and Tyson!
Love to check out your reports.

Cheers.

G
poussin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Why is the Berkeley sign a problem? Reply with quote

These 2 guys, (Wyatt and Tyson) go down once a year and offer windsurfing as well as other activities on a very small scale should be appreciated in this small industry.
A Berkeley sign posted in the sand is not exactly as though MacDonald's and the Marriott have come to take over. It's a bit of home away-from-home in a very inoffensive manner.
Get over it.

Cheers.

G
poussin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Why is the Berkeley sign a problem? Reply with quote

Get over it.

Cheers.

G
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Why is the Berkeley sign a problem? Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
Get over it.

Sorry if you thought that this was meant as a critique of Wyatt or Tyson, it was not at all.

I went to La Ventana for the first time 16 years ago, and it was an incredibly beautiful place with a thriving local fisherman community and just a few windsurfers going around. Fast forward 12 years (last time I was there) and the place had been invaded: property bought for dimes now was skyrocketing into the $400,000 for beach front, people were going around with 4-wheel-drives on the beach, packs of gringos Los-Barillos-style, construction was everywhere. Perhaps unavoidable but sad.

I am going down again this year in late February, trying to avoid the crowd, and I was just wandering what happened to the camp ground ... and I do find the sign maybe not obnoxious but indicative of an almost colonial attitude where expatriates bring their world into a place instead of being guests of the local community.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>expatriates bring their world into a place instead of being guests of the local community

the same can be said about any foreign population in any country.

it's baja CALIFORNIA so why shouldn't it be at least a little bit like california.
it's been that way for centuries.

borders? we don't need no steenking borders. there are whole lot more taquerias on this side than macdonald's on that side. the u.s. southwest is occupied mexico or aztlan as far as a lot of people are concerned.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been pretty good here the last few days as we have a mild Norte wind on hand. Casey Hauser and Bryan Metcalf-Perez finally rolled in so there is tons of action on the water. Walked down to the beach the other day to get some shots of the boys and they said they wanted to sail something different, so I suggested hitting the shorebreak half way down to the buffadore. They were stoked on the idea so I cruised down the beach and got set up so I could shoot looking back at town. Got a couple good hours in and the shots are some of the best I have seen down here from a non-professional such as myself.

Tyson is headed to Japan for a wave contest tomorrow, while we head over to Los Barilles at weeks end to watch one of the Baja 250km offroad races which is supposed to come screaming down the beach in Los Barilles. Plus is looks like we have a pretty solid Norte showing up Sat-Monday. That should cool the water down a bit ...we are still trunking it....not sooo stoked for the cooler water but it does give a bit of thrust to the normal thermal days.

Screen shot 2012-12-10 at 2.09.25 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.85 KB
 Viewed:  15368 Time(s)

Screen shot 2012-12-10 at 2.09.25 PM.png

Tyson Shaka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  153.91 KB

Tyson Shaka.jpg

Tyson Kono.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.25 KB

Tyson Kono.jpg

Casey Flaka.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.81 KB

Casey Flaka.jpg

Bryan Funnel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.02 KB

Bryan Funnel.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: