myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wyatt and Tyson’s La Ventana / Baja Report Season 3 and 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vbr1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anything going on across the street ?

my guess is thats where most of them will go

The Ejido asked for contributions last winter

If I recall correctly Wyatt/Tyson & Adrian V were some of the only people who paid and were happy to do it. The rate was super cheap (maybe $1.75 US per day) and sadly enough most of the wanna be hippies complained and complained and complained that it was so wrong.

Well they can go sleep somewhere else next year.

To me this looks like progress
real-human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing going on across the street. They were also fixing up the round restaurant, nothing major just some basic maintenance.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya we paid last year and happy to do so. Talked with the Ejido guys and they said that they were going to start charging but that they would not enforce the campground 7pm quit time, Really stoked on that. We all should be supporting the local community. And they put in garbage cans last year which was awesome.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being part of the American Windsurfing Tour, the Gorge Freestyle Frenzy event took place from 17th – 21st July at the Washington side of the Columbia River Gorge.
JP Team Rider Tyson Poor participated in the competition. Here is his report:

Just got finished with an amazing 5 days of wind and competition!
Last week we had three contests going on, over the course of 4 days. The first of the three contests to happen was the amazing return of the Gorge Freestyle Frenzy. It had been 3 years since having any freestyle contest in the Gorge. The forecast was looking pretty bad, with Wednesday looking like the only day for wind. With only two days to run the event, organizers Sam Bittner and Casey Hauser decided to pull the trigger and call for a 6:30 skippers meeting on Wednesday morning. As we pulled into the Hatchery parking lot that morning, the wind was already cranking! Blowing a little from the north, the inside flat section wasn’t very filled in, but as the day started to heat up, it pulled to wind in to shore, making for an epic setup. I rigged my 4.2 Wizard and my 90 JP Freestyle board for the whole contest, and was lit out of my mind!!!

We were just running a single elimination, with 3 or 4 person heats, and 2 advancing. I made it through my first couple heats all the way up to the semi finals. By this time the swell on the outside was pumping in, and the inside was butter flat. Everyone was so overpowered! I ended up not making it through this heat to the finals, crashing on a double loop attempt, and not filling my starboard trick list. I was pretty frustrated, but knew that I would be able to sail again and fight for 3rd place. I sailed really well in this heat, landing back loops on both tacks, a tweaked pushloop on port, a double loop on starboard, as well as a big shuvit spock and shaka flaka on the inside. Rob Warwick was sailing really well, but ended up going down hard on a big pushloop, landing face first on his boom. It was a pretty nasty crash.

Congrats to Neil Pryde teammate Bryan Metcalf-Perez, as well as Wyatt Miller for putting on a great show in the finals! Bryan ended up taking the victory, landing some good backs, as well as a big Skopu on the outside. Couldn’t have asked for better conditions for a Gorge freestyle event!!!
Thanks to all that helped make this event happen. Looking forward to next year!

Bests,
Tyson Poor

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.55 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  722.22 KB
 Viewed:  15608 Time(s)

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.55 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.43 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  713.6 KB

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.43 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.32 PM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  705.02 KB

Screen shot 2013-08-14 at 1.27.32 PM.png

rpaillon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Sail Graphics Reply with quote

Hey Tyson,

Who has been designing the graphics on Neil Pryde sails for the last few years--Martha Stewart? I have a Combat of a few years ago with similar colors to yours and I get embarrassed to rig it in front of male sailors. I think someone out of the custom auto field could do better than the home decorator currently doing the job.

If I didn't like the way NP sails perform so much, I'd trade them in on Ezzy's.

Rick
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, ya.

But when you really think about it Neil Pryde sold almost a 1,000,000 sails in 1989 when the day glow neon colors were all the rage.

Now in 2012 Neil Pryde produced around 60,000 sails.

So maybe the lack of neon day glow action in sails over the past 20 years is completely responsible for the downturn of the windsurf economy.

Just saying.
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 5th Season in a row Tyson Poor and I will be running our La Ventana Baja Windsurf Center : www.prowindsurflaventana.com

Its a total blast, 4.2-6.0 winds in a protected bay with great swell, cheap food & beer and all sorts of non-windsurf activities.

Hop a flight to Cabo San Lucas from just about anywhere and you are 2 hours away from paradise.

We are offering a November special with super cheap rates. November is our favorite time of year, fully trunkable water and steady wind.

If you are looking to bring down any non-windsurfers November is your month since the water and air are so warm and the snorkeling and fishing are unreal. Swimming or SUPing at night is a perfect temp and the phosphorescence light up the water.

Plus we have ATVs for you to cruise around on and explore the town, desert, epic snorkel spots and empty beaches.

Come down and sail with us, its cheap warm and windy!

posterventana.small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  657.32 KB
 Viewed:  15447 Time(s)

posterventana.small.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POOR WINS US NATIONALS

Tyson Poor US-22, known to be one of the very best American freestyle riders, reports from his latest Slalom success:

The US Nationals were held at Cabrillo Beach in Southern California. We had an amazing 5 straight days of very consistent winds and nice weather. The wind came up every day around 1:30, allowing the formula fleet to get a couple races in, before moving into slalom when the wind got a bit stronger. I sailed my JP Slalom-IX 68 and my Neil Pryde Evo V 8.6 the whole time.

Day 1
….went really well for me. We ended up with 3 races on Monday. I pulled out 2 firsts and 1 second place, with Phil McGain close behind. Every race was really close, making the starts very important. With such close results on the first day, I knew it was going to be a fight to hold off McGain and the other competitors.

Day 2
The hardest thing on this day were the starts. Everyone was starting to get their timing down, as well as figuring out that the boat was really favored. On one start I got stuck behind a group of 10 people, having to dive really, really deep to get any sort of clean wind, allowing a couple more people in the fleet to shut me off at the buoy, and I ended in 4th place. The last race of the day, I found myself in the same position at the start line, but this time I dove really deep right off the bat, allowing me to carry more speed and head up in front of the rest of the fleet and stay in the lead with plenty of clean air. So, I was able to end the day with 3 firsts, a second, and 1 fourth.

Day 3
The final day of racing I was able to leave again with 2 firsts and 1 second. The wind this day was much lighter, making passing impossible. On the last race of the day, McGain was able to get to the mark about 1 board length in front of me, but I was able to cut tight under the buoy and pump like crazy to get up on a plane before him, allowing me to come down on top of him and shut him off. This ended up being the last race of the contest, securing my first place with a total of 7 firsts, 3 seconds, and one 4th.

Stoked to take home the National Slalom title!!!

————————-
photos – Cliff Hauser

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.45.55 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  380.04 KB
 Viewed:  15329 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.45.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.46.07 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  375.96 KB

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.46.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.46.14 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  289.95 KB

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.46.14 AM.png

loopless

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Tyson. Course racing is the most mentally demanding of all the windsurfing disciplines. As they say, "when the flag drops, the bullshit stops"
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, actually Tyson and Casey could be heard shouting tons of bull shit at each jibe marker. Apparently vocal wind passing helps out with the dirty air.

Wink)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: