myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wyatt and Tyson’s La Ventana / Baja Report Season 3 and 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First big Norte since our arrival is hitting right now. Solid 4.5 -4.7 yesterday, though a little flat for our liking. Wind blew all night and we woke up to some nice swell up at the General's. Should probably be out there right now instead of writing this as it is fully cranking. Big decision for the day is if we are gonna load up the van and go sail the butter flat secret spot, or sail up to the Generals for some jumping. Either way its going to have to wait until after Joseph the fresh squeezed juice, doughnut and empenada guy pulls in the drive way and delivers breakfast.

Got some fun shots from yesterday with the clew-view an GoPro. We had 8 guests out yesterday ripping it up and I was trying to get super close to get them in the frame and I almost got taken out. (check the last photo)

Gonna get some more snaps today.

TYson Shuvit.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  447.11 KB
 Viewed:  20602 Time(s)

TYson Shuvit.jpg

Shaka Nose Tap.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  651.13 KB

Shaka Nose Tap.jpg

Eslider Beach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  732.96 KB

Eslider Beach.jpg

Chasing Osh.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  372.3 KB

Chasing Osh.jpg

The Crash.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  488.25 KB

The Crash.jpg

PoorBoyUS22

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these conditions might happen again really soon... As in tomorrow! A nice little Norte pushed in some swell last week, enough to get in some surf and SUP action just down the beach. After sailing all day on my 4.5, we decided to get in a little surf session, followed by a smaller SUP session the following morning. Looking forward to it happening again SOON!

IMG_0398 copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  579.25 KB
 Viewed:  20478 Time(s)

IMG_0398 copy.jpg

1127.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  48.29 KB

1127.jpg

1127-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.74 KB

1127-3.jpg

1127-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.03 KB

1127-2.jpg

1127 -1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.92 KB

1127 -1.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple weeks have been insane, such great conditions. We just had 3 days off but before that it was 11 days straight of 5.0 or better with 5 days of solid waves. We were so beat by the end of that stretch we were down to 1 hour sessions. Ha. Had a rockus group of Texans down here who sailed every single day they were in town along with one of our regulars Don who hit it right on the money. Such good sailing. And it looks like the wind is back today with another huge Norte hitting tomorrow.

One of the days in that stretch the huge swell combined with the big moon flooded our gear shed all the way back to the board racks.

Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 9.31.10 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  916 KB
 Viewed:  20255 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2013-12-21 at 9.31.10 AM.png

TY Back Big.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.95 KB

TY Back Big.jpg

Shaka in your face.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  261.74 KB

Shaka in your face.jpg

Grab the mast.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  332.53 KB

Grab the mast.jpg

Going up goin gdown.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.22 KB

Going up goin gdown.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Windsurfers,

Just throwing a heads up about the insanely windy season we are having down here in La Ventana. While California is suffering drought and there is no snow in the West, we have had one of the best seasons in recent memory.

I have yet to sail anything bigger than a 5.0 since Thankgiving. December saw 25 days of 5.0 or better wind. Now in January we are on day 18 of solid wind and its only January 22nd. We have 12 extreemly stoked windsurfers sailing with us down here right now who have scored every day they have been here. Not to mention the swell we have seen this month has produced the best surfing and SUPing waves I have ever seen down here! (Check the photos).

We still have lots of space open in February for anyone who want to come down and join in on the fun. Ticket prices in to Los Cabos have fallen to as low as $350 from SFO and we can set up our taxi guys to pick you up and drive your over. Also, Aeromexico is doing 2 flights a week from Los Angeles to La Paz, Thursdays and Saturdays.

Our last two groups found round trip tickets from the Tijuana airport to La Paz on Volaris Airlines for $250. They said walking across the border and grabbing a taxi to the TJ airport was a breeze and the airport was one of the nicest they have seen.

So if you are tired of the crappy snow season, or want to get warmed up for the spring windsurf season come down and score some great wind with us down in Baja.

Cheers,

WHale bait.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.37 KB
 Viewed:  19858 Time(s)

WHale bait.jpg

Tyride.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  389.87 KB

Tyride.jpg

TyLIp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  491.87 KB

TyLIp.jpg

spock copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  19857 Time(s)

spock copy.jpg

Going up goin gdown.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.22 KB
 Viewed:  19857 Time(s)

Going up goin gdown.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the group that flew from TJ on Volaris. Round trip tickets were actually only $150, but you could pay an extra $50 for excess baggage. Parking in SD and walking across the border was really easy. There is a guide here:

http://flyfromtijuana.com/parking-for-the-tj-airport/

On the way back, the time it took from landing the plane in TJ, getting our baggage, getting a cab to the border, walking across through US Customs, and getting the shuttle to the parking lot was only 45 minutes.

We rented gear from Wyatt, but my buddy had already rented a house. Next time it probably would be a lot easier just to stay with Wyatt. The rental car for a week with gas and insurance was about $700. Probably would have been cheaper and more fun to just stay w/ Wyatt and drive the 4 wheelers around.

Anyway, I had a great time, and Wyatt and Ty are great hosts. Looking forward to going back next year.

We sailed 7 out of 8 days. The first day was our arrival day, and we didn't hit the water until the end of the day, so rigged big and blasted around on 6.5/95l.

We had the next day off and then sailed the next six days... one day on 5.0, and then the rest on 4.4 and 4.7.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was another epic winter season in Baja and one of the windiest I can remember. It blew 23-25 days a month of 5.0 ore better in both December and January. It was not the waviest winter I have experienced but I did surf the best waves I have ever surfed down at the buffadore. All the wind made for some very happy guests and we were stoked to make so many new friends down there this year. Needless to say we are going to be back in business for 2014/2015 season and we are even going to stay open all of March to take advantage of the warm water and consistent wind.
Once we were all packed up down there we headed north to discover some new surf spots. After sleeping in Santa Rosalia we made it to the half point in Baja; Guerrero Negro and stopped in for some lunchtime tacos. We met some surfers who told us that the 7 sisters were going off and that they had just left overhead waves at a spot they call “The Wall”. We finished up the tacos and headed north using some directions from our buddy JP to backtrack from the closest town to the unmarked turnoff. We arrived to find just what the surfers had claimed peeling overhead waves with a 14 second period.
We camped there for 3 days surfing and SUPing till our arms could paddle no more. On one day in particular after a SUP and surf session the wind started to fill in. I was pretty beat, but decided it I could just rely on the harness and had to see what it was all about. I went out on the 5.4 and the 95L wave and quickly wished I had something smaller in both categories. Given the hike upwind to the van and the fact that Tyson had the camera going I decided to stick it out. I sailed till near dark on waves as long as any I have sailed in Punta San Carlos. You literally had to stop making bottom turns due to lack of arm strength.
The next morning just as predicted a strong hot offshore wind started to rise and we quickly started packing. By the time we pulled out it was blowing easy 4.0 straight offshore. The whole desert looked like a dustbowl. We had a hard couple of hours of driving North with crazy strong winds that saw one semi flipped on its side, while the more cautious drivers pulled over to wait it out. We spent our usual last night in Ensenada saying goodbye to the giant Mexican flag. Just our luck it was a Sunday which turned out to be Benito Juarez’s birthday and a holiday for all the locals. The town was packed and we partied will into the night.
The next day we hit the border crossing line and not 10 minutes into the 3 hour wait and just past the point of no return one of the venders selling the the Jesus statues told us that our van was dripping oil. We told him no way it must be water from the AC, but when we hopped out there was a torrent of bright red transmission fluid gushing out of the front of our tranny. Not what we wanted to see. The vendor offered to run and grab us a ton of transmission fluid and some STP Stop Leak. We gave him $60 expecting him never to return but 20 minutes later there he was grinning ear to ear. We spent the next 2 hours with Tyson driving with the hood up while I walked backwards in front of the Van pouring bottle after bottle of transmission fluid back in. Eventually, a bit filthier than I had hoped, we made it to across the border and to the nearest Ford mechanic. A few days later and $1,600 poorer we were back at home with just a few days to spare before our trip to Cabarete for our annual clinics with Vela. I am a bit late in writing all this, and La Ventana seems far away now, but in 2 more weeks Tyson and I will be back down in Baja for our May 3rd – 10th clinics at Punta San Carlos Baja. There is still room for anyone who wants to join and hopefully the van will make it there and back with no issues this time. For more info on the San Carlos clinics check out:
http://www.solosports.net/Wavecamps/Wyatt-flash/wyatt-camp-2014.htm

Aerial 2 Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  337.23 KB
 Viewed:  19295 Time(s)

Aerial 2 Wall.jpg

Backloop Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.68 KB

Backloop Wall.jpg

Going for it.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.48 KB

Going for it.jpg

Van at Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.01 KB

Van at Wall.jpg

Wall Aerial.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  287.3 KB

Wall Aerial.jpg

wyattmiller

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more shots

Goodbye Mexico.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.29 KB
 Viewed:  19293 Time(s)

Goodbye Mexico.jpg

Super offshore winds Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  322.22 KB

Super offshore winds Wall.jpg

Off the Wall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  297.77 KB

Off the Wall.jpg

Sunset Sesh.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  221.37 KB

Sunset Sesh.jpg

Supshot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  621.06 KB

Supshot.jpg

PoorBoyUS22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, we had so much fun at the Wall on our way back up from La Ventana. I cannot wait to get back there! The place was just like going to San Carlos, except there was nobody there. We woke up every morning to a nice glassy peeling rights, followed by a steady 20 to 25 knot breeze on the exact same wave later that afternoon. I was sidelined because of a swollen spleen, so Wyatt had the luck of being the only sailor out on the water for a good four hour session. I had to sit and watch him have all the fun, while taking pictures to make sure he could see how much fun he was having haha. Already looking forward to getting back down into the Baja to Punta San Carlos and Solo Sports from the 3rd to the 10th to try out my new SUP, as well as ripping up some waves windsurfing. It looks like there is a perfect South swell lining perfectly for the clinic! Keep your fingers crossed because it could be epic! See you all down there in 2 weeks.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a clinic with these two characters in PSC. What a blast, probably best thing I have EVER done in my life! Wyatt and Tyson are awesome instructors and just good "mensch"!. I can't wait to hit them up in La Ventana.

Thanks for all the great memories guys! Loved every minute of it mostly thanks to you two.
justingordon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Wow, looks better than Maui Reply with quote

Wyatt,

Thanks for the great set of pictures documenting a killer season. Looks like you had way more wind sport activity there than we we had in Maui the last 6 months, although if you like non-wind sports (SUP & Surf), Maui has been UNREAL. Even in May, we've had hardly any wind, which is CRAZY unusual in the 17 years I've been going to Maui.

P.s., we're stoked to have you onboard with creating some content for our new discussion site http://talksurf.com, dedicated to all water sports involving riding waves, swells, and wind. It should be a nice complement to this forum. Nice post on looping.

Aloha,

Justin

http://www.sugarranchmaui.com
http://facebook.com/justinhgordon
http://www.facebook.com/sugarranch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: