myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
EXOCET RS7 90 cm wide Raceboard performance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on par with any other top of the line race board. easy to turn too.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - one last question for you since you are familiar with both

imagine you would compare it to the SB UltraSonic ??

they are similiar in width, length, etc and you did like the SB US in tests...
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be about fair about things, I think that comments should reference the year and model tested or reviewed. We have to remember that it's the 2013 model year. While there's those designs that remain unchanged, there are those that have been revised.
cmoffett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody for your posts. I guess I should have stated my situation before asking my question. I have been sailing an older model Mike's Lab formula board for three or four years. It's 265 cm long, so it's a big board. But it performs very well and planes very early. I weigh 153 lbs. (70 kg.) and sail with either an 8.0 or 9.0 Sailworks Retro (excellent sails for light air San Diego Mission Bay). When it starts to gust to 18 or 19 mph on the 8.0, even with a 60 cm fin as opposed to the 68 cm Deboichet custom I usually use, the formula board becomes a real hand full.

I am interested in the Exocet RS7 as a way of still planing in light air , but avoiding that "hand full" feeling when the wind picks up. I am also tired of formula sailing and want to step down in size, but not all the way down to my 79 cm wide Exocet Speed Slider II. I also have the issue of what fin to use on the RS 7, since it comes with no fin. All that being said, any more comments? Thanks.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came from the other side and is the reason why this post interests me so much.
I was using a 79 cm AHD FF and did not want to go all the way to Formula.
Found a BIC Techno Formula of 94 cm and use 10-oh and 8-oh sails.
My weight of 100 kilos is the factor for the sails and fins.
Using a 66 cm Select with both sails - also have a 58 weed.
With the 8-oh i have gone all the way to about 20 mph winds.
For me that was about the limit.
Do not like small chop with a wider board....
Feel this RS 7 will be able to do the same and with better speed.
Like you I cannot find information on recommended fins.
SB US uses 58 cm and for the RS-7 one shop suggested 66 cm.

I find it sad that on a $2000 board they cannot at least `throw in a fin`
good luck and please keep us informed ...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe, with either board, one must realize that formula style technique will be required for pushing the upper wind range. they are so similar to FW in so many ways. reaching is to be done with large slalom boards and FW only in the lightest of their wind ranges.

you could have either board and be happy. as far as fins are concerned, the geography of the riders are so dissimilar to provide the right fin, is my guess as to why one is not included. san diego may require the softest fin for earliest planing.... i've neither the time nor the comprehensive knowledge to discuss fin selections. suffice it to say that i prefer molded fins vs G-10. molded allows for the internal lay ups to help with twist and bend characteristics. if one has gusty choppy conditions, go with a stiffer fin. if steady, light and smooth water, go with a flexier one.

cmoffett

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am basically a reaching and jibing sailer; that's what we do where we sail on Mission Bay. I want to go as fast as I can and rip through jibes. The "easy to turn too" comment is very encouraging.

I am more concerned about fin length than stiffness. I am guessing that my 68 cm fin, even though it has a narrow tip, will be too long for the RS7. I could always cut it down, but I am hesitant to do that. Are we saying that one should measure the width of the board one foot from the tail, and use that measurement as a guide for the max fin length? Maybe I can get Exocet/Aerotech to measure that for us.

Worst case, I guess I try the 68 cm fin and if it doesn't cause the board to rail up wildly, it's OK to use. Although it could slow the board down.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are around 150 lbs., like some very good older Formula guys around Berkeley, 68 is big for Formula, too big for reaching unless you sail underpowered.
Some really good Formula guys our size use 62's mostly, for Formula Racing, so would choose smaller for reaching and jibing. Those L-12 Labs have tails around 78cm in OFO.
Last Formula race up here with 12 sailors in the A fleet, won by a 170 lbs. guy using a 7.9 NP sail and 66 fin. This in winds around 14-21, very underpowered for me on 6.6 and light wind slalom.
Consider smaller fin for reaching and topspeeds until you get waay underpowered, then the biggest is the one you need.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reaching with winds no more than 16 mph would be fine with an extra wide race board. call the distributor 386-756-7564 ask for the OFO measurement to be taken.

68 cm if it's stiff would be fine in winds 16mph or less. the way to make a flexier fin feel okay in higher winds with either a FW or an RS7 is to do extremely upwind and downwind runs. that's how to get the most out of a big wide board anyway.

the stiffness of a fin will allow one to sail either under powered or over powered. if yo could get a 55-58 cm fairly stiff fin, then you would be set to make the RS7 work great.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wrote to progressive sports and they gave me the following information:

Joe,

The width of the board one foot up from tail is 26 3/4". If you don't have it already here is a link for the board http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/rs.php which may help. I have talked with Steve about what size fin he is using on the board and he said that he runs a 56cm fin with as large of a sails as 9.8. He also thinks that the max fin size would be 65cm but 62cm would be a better choice. I CC him on this email and he said that he would be happy to answer any question you had on the board.

Thanks,
Curtis Ransom

Sandy Point Progressive Sports

Steve Gottlieb e-mail seems to be: sailaero@aol.com
for OFO 26.75 * 2.5 cm/inch = 66.875 cm
and thus 66 cm is MAX fin to put on this board and 68 s/b fine !!!

hope this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: