myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, arguement by anecdote. Sigh.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didja notice the D congressman who claimed that there was a school shooting every week last year (he claimed over 100)? Didja see the FACTS he deliberately distorted, that in FACT there were "just" 10 all year?

The gun nuts are those who blame everything on guns, just as most racists are those who blame everything on racism.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly an anecdote, just more solid evidence that harsher gun laws don't give you your desired effect.
You should sigh.
Family structure and education is what you should be focusing on.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Didja notice the D congressman who claimed that there was a school shooting every week last year (he claimed over 100)? Didja see the FACTS he deliberately distorted, that in FACT there were "just" 10 all year?

The gun nuts are those who blame everything on guns, just as most racists are those who blame everything on racism.

Only 10? Is that an argument for guns or against guns?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Hardly an anecdote, just more solid evidence that harsher gun laws don't give you your desired effect.
You should sigh.

How do we socially engineer a society with the family structure you desire , or think will produce good citizens?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail_Ponder wrote:
Only 10? Is that an argument for guns or against guns?

My point and my argument were about lying anti-gun liberals and legislators and the suckers who believe them, not school shootings or the solutions thereto.

I had hoped that (my) age and infirmity would someday be the trigger that may prompt me to start carrying. I wonder now if ISIS, the internet, and a few hundred thousand individual Americans' stupidity may instead be that trigger. Should we wait until after our local theater or Starbucks gets shot up or bombed, or plan ahead? Much depends on our own exposure to risky environments and the likelihood that we'd react in a crisis. The former is much easier than the latter to assess, for most of us.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
nw30 wrote:
You should sigh.

How do we socially engineer a society with the family structure you desire , or think will produce good citizens?

That's only half of my statement, don't try to split it, you can't have a better family structure w/o better education. The education should start early and last years, it's social education, something that is sorely missing in todays schools as something serious.
Then hopefully when they grow up in a more responsible way, they can teach their kids how to be responsible for their own well being, and not have to rely on the schools so much for that education.

But it has to start at the schools for now, early, because far too many parents in those hard areas today, don't have the skills or care, it's just the way it is.

Want something quick? Ain't going to happen.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often I look at the kids I teach in school and think that they deserve better parents. It is true that the society as a whole, and particularly the institutions of government, are a poor substitute for good parents. But that is only changed with social institutions. Without strong institutions, poverty is an astonishingly effective corrosive that eats away at kids. While schools and alternative adult leadership helps, they are not perfect solutions.

But back to the reason I sighed at NW's nonsensical posting. The 90% of Americans that support background checks don't expect it to stop all violence. The idea that any number of shootings in Chicago means that gun control is an idle exercise is just an effort at diversion, or worse yet, an inability to think. There is a saying that I use a lot when faced with attitudes like NW's, whether on the left or the right. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of good. Hardly original, but nobody knows, from the information we collect, how effective gun control is in Chicago. If anyone suggests that a constitutionally acceptable form of gun control must stop all murders or it is a failure, they are a fool. Murders occur in poor communities, most commonly associated with the drug trade. They also occur in Mexico, in a much more horrifying manner. While that means that the "war on drugs" has failed, it does not mean that drugs are a good thing, or that I support drugs. Rather, that there are difficult and sometimes unsolvable problems.

Keeping more guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and those with criminal records that show a tendency to violence, is a valid reason to require licensing of guns. We license cars, which have far fewer side effects.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Want something quick? Ain't going to happen.

O'Reilly's solution could be very quick and maybe even effective: make any offense in which the perp is carrying a gun a federal crime with an automatic 5-year sentence. Bangers do not fear local authority, but they do fear the feds.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"O'Reilly's solution could be very quick and maybe even effective: make any offense in which the perp is carrying a gun a federal crime with an automatic 5-year sentence. Bangers do not fear local authority, but they do fear the feds."

Why is it that gun nuts come up with airhead solutions to our gun control problems? Maybe it hasn't dawned on them that prisons are a huge drain on the taxpayers, and they yield little if any positive return, and that doesn't even address the costs to our court system to prosecute criminals. These days the costs to incarcerate criminals can exceed what we spend on public education. What's wrong with this picture? Guys like isobars don't have a clue. All they see is the need for more guns with no registration or licensing requirements that could be used to help control and monitor the growing problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 166 of 331

Jump to: