myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Notice of Race
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are really taking shape for what I hope will be a one-year prelude to the best windsurfing event in the country. Everyone who attends this year will help make not only this year's event a winner but set the stage for next year.

Windsurfing is back (it never went away) but now attracting new investment from the community who see it as a way to increase their value.

Eddie and I are building several different ways to communicate all about the event, from a FB page to online registration on a dedicated micro-site. You should see banners on iWindsurf, too!

While I can't predict the weather, I can say that this event will be top drawer when it comes to amenities -especially the food -and especially more so for those staying at the Old Silver Beach Resort. We arranged a deep discount on rooms and . . . if you book two nights one competitor registration fee is waived. That's right, free. Everything but the room is free for one competitor per room.

And, we will screen Children of the Wind on Saturday night!!

Please, support this event as much as you can. Your support will make Old Silver Beach the windsurfing event center of New England. We can up the game but need everyone to get on board.

More later.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan for ALL the work you guys are doing to build this event !!

Wow, in my searching around (I'm an "out of town-er" trying to learn about your area)... Yes, WOW, now I see there a windsurfing shop right there... on the same property as the hotel, in fact it has the same address!
This, hadn't been mentioned before. And this is "fastdeddie" isn't it Smile
So, is this business mostly a rental and lesson operation... or is it also a retail windsurfing store?

It's all a great looking location !!!
Greg -
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my partner in crime is Eddie Senechal aka Fast Eddie. There is a rental/concession location right in the sand, right where we will be running our event. There also is a retail location nearby.

If there is anything you might need, try to let us know as soon as possible so we can do our best to make arrangements.

I hope to have the website, facebook marketing machine running at full chat by this evening.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my partner in crime is Eddie Senechal aka Fast Eddie. There is a rental/concession location right in the sand, right where we will be running our event. There also is a retail location nearby.

If there is anything you might need, try to let us know as soon as possible so we can do our best to make arrangements.

I hope to have the website, facebook marketing machine running at full chat by this evening.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT... all sounds really good !!

Question - With all the hard work for the "event" part of this, it's really looking to be a very cool thing.
And websites, social, etc. ALL good Smile

But... is there still focus on windsurf racing... I mean, this thread is titled "Notice of Race"... and Eddie's first post announced "Buzzards Bay Crossing, Memorial weekend".
And then... I saw the post that the "crossing" part is out... due to admin. or gov't. challenges (which I understand having organized smaller things).
But how much focus is still on, "We will do some multi-lap distance races, maybe a more traditional course race or three, and I'd love to get a creative downwinder..."
And , some of the many other good suggestions from the locals there, that posted?
Just wondering what the goal is... for how much racing... and which races on Sat, and or Sunday?
Ie. triangle, windward-leeward, long distance, slalom, figure 8, and all those other creative course that some do?

I'm trying to gauge if the emphasis has evolved from racing/windsurfing to... beautiful buffets, other sports, family activities and movies.
ALL, which I think are great - I'm a very involved dad... and, I'm looking forward to seeing that movie (I've shared the trailer with many).
HOWEVER, If there's wind, even light wind... I'd rather be out, learning some racing moves from you all, as opposed to waiting for the kid's face-painting session to end Smile

Hey - You asked for input and comments from possible attendees,
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the subject of "Wind Minimums"...

Will there be wind minimums?

Or perhaps, if it's WINDY then set quick courses that make sense for that and we use gear for that.
Or less wind, then set different course appropriate to that, and we use gear that works in lighter stuff.

Just brain-storming Smile
Maybe a 5 knot min out on the course, for shorter light wind racing.
And a 15 knot min out on the course, for more higher wind type of racing?

Totally up to you guys... just a subject that I thought should be mentioned Smile
Greg -
spookini

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the SUP side of things going to be for the event? Seems a great way to boost turnout would be some sort of small-scale SUP 'battle-of-paddle' style race. There is no shortage of SUPers in the area. And who knows maybe a few would even think "hey that sailing thing looks cool!"
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, SUP will be very much a feature of this event and actually may become part of the World Paddle Association series for points. Still working on that angle but SUP is a big part of the Buzzards bay Crossing.

Last edited by DanWeiss on Sun May 05, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SUP races could be called The World Paddle Battle Series Laughing
spookini

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan:

Great to hear, as soon as things solidify be sure to let us know? In the meantime, is there any website for the event? I'd like to spread the word!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: