myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tweaking and tuning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Tweaking and tuning Reply with quote

How much time do you spend rigging and tuning your gear away from the water? (at the house,in the yard etc...) Just curious.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Tweaking and tuning Reply with quote

Zip, zilch, nada, unless I just bought the stuff, and didn't try it out where I
bought it, then I might try it out in my back yard to see if it all works together.

Or did you mean on the beach when I rig up, if you meant that, then
it takes me about 10 minutes to get rigged up, "tuned", and on the water.

-Craig

Darbonne wrote:
How much time do you spend rigging and tuning your gear away from the water? (at the house,in the yard etc...) Just curious.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once, if that, to get the headcap, extension, and boom settings in the ball park, to save time when it's windy. Any other dweebing is reserved for lulls at the beach when a sail is being rigged anyway. Otherwise, getting all the crap out just to tune something is not worth my time. YMMV.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to the above.

Typically I rig the sail up in the yard once, maybe twice, when its new just to get the boom and base extension settings ball parked and mark the settings on the sail with a sharpie. I don't want to be trying to get settings figured out on the beach when its blowing. After that, there's no real need to rig it up again at home. I mean really, what are you going to tune in your yard?

sm
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for once, just to check the downhaul specs, sail rotation & batten tension. Tuning is done at the water.

Coachg
Darbonne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK makes sense. I just got a new sail and its a nice day but too cold to go sailing. Thank for the replies.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all day every day when i'm sailing as needed. we get lots of different wind and water conditions as each weather system comes thru. the last big wind we had was very peculiar. i sailed a 5.2 for the first 1.5 hours. kept making it fuller. then, i rigged bigger. that was the right call for about 30 minutes. wind came back up and i felt wrenched around a bit in the gusts, mainly since the water state got way choppier as the tide had come in. shifted to the lower grommet at the clew, and everything was just fine for the remainder of the day. all part of wave sailing in central florida, i guess.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the number of times I may change my outhaul setting offshore if the wind changes significantly during a session. Adjustable outhauls are one solution, a quick drop'n'tweak is another, depending on many factors.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Rigging at Home Reply with quote

I rig my sail once when new at home for the reasons others mentioned, plus, just to admire it and get my anticipation up for when I can actually use it. The beautiful air foil shape of a rigged windsurfer sail is beautiful to behold, even in no wind.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rigging at Home Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
I rig my sail once when new at home for the reasons others mentioned, plus, just to admire it and get my anticipation up for when I can actually use it. The beautiful air foil shape of a rigged windsurfer sail is beautiful to behold, even in no wind.

whott he said

I also fit fins whether factory or otherwise to assure fit. I am extremely likely to throw a hissy fit at the beach if they don't fit, and ummm 50% don't

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: