myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tweaking and tuning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just what sail would that be, you fing spamhead? We haven't even mentioned a sail. Keep your poison website to yourself.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
And just what sail would that be, you fing spamhead? We haven't even mentioned a sail. Keep your poison website to yourself.

I kinda thought he already was on your "plonked" list. How'd you see that?

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Westender says above is true, the core, where I sail, are usually
rigged and on the water in about 10 minutes (and they're mostly gray haired too if
they have any hair left). Once in a while, a tourist shows up with
a brand new rig, and it takes them considerable time to get it right,
which is OK, because you've got to get your rig right to really enjoy
the sport. My preference is to rig the thing where I bought it and get
the tuning right, but the beach is fine the first time, and many have
been the days when I've cruised over to a windless Hatchery to install
and tune new footstratps, fins, pads, sails.............. because it's a nice
environment for dweebing.

But personally, I'd rather be sailing than rigging. If your thrill is rigging,
rather than sailing, then I highly recommend you rig only in your yard,
and leave your parking space for me. ;*)

-Craig

speedysailor wrote:
It's hardly dweebing it up and sure beats claiming you're into the sport because you like to sit on the beach and watch.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I highly recommend you rig only in your yard,
and leave your parking space for me.

You'd love the guy who spent 20+ minutes rigging in the only remaining parking spot (which someone else had paid for), 10 feet from an empty lawn, claiming it as his personal rigging spot.

Some people actually enjoy rigging ... and, obviously, de-rigging. One bud rigs three sails and two boards long before he actually goes sailing, just to avoid having to rig in a hurry. We bust his chops when none of them is appropriate once he decides to go sailing, but he gets the last laugh when he's the first guy on the water because he pre-rigged half his quiver.
jayturcot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the original question:

I did zilch; but I think I'll go with +1 for doing it in the yard once the first time (make sure there isn't anything blatantly wrong w/ it... when you aren't relying on it)

Also; when tuning batten tension on a new sail after my first session on it (my first brand new sail ever!), I was paying attention to tuning and not to the fact that I was holding onto the leech. In a mildly sheltered area, but a gust game through and flipped the rig... tossed my board (my first brand new board ever!) onto a rock. Minor repair and entirely avoidable; but next time I'll do the fiddling where there is 0 wind (e.g. backyard)
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice makes perfect! If you have the time available, I suggest using it, especially if it will save you time in the long run while rigging at the beach.

Things like footstrap, fin, and mast base position generally need to be experimented with... But once you find that sweet spot you can usually set it and forget it, so it's worth spending some time to get it dialed in.

Windsurfing vacations are perfect places to mess with this kind of stuff, since you aren't too stressed about dealing with everyday tasks... you can relax and get the job done right.

http://wind-nc.com
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're like me and like your sail tuned so that the downhaul pulley touches the extension, you definitely need to prepare way ahead of time. Since I have many extensions (I'd rather not have to change the setting everytime), I want to know how much extension is needed and which one will I use for the new sail (do I need to buy a new one?).
This way I have roughly one extension for each sail, almost one boom for each sail and it takes me less than 10 minutes to be on the water. I can also rig many sails so I don't hesitate to rig another one to be perfectly matched with the wind. I hate being overpowered.
That, of course means that I know which mast and which extension will be best for each sail; and that means rigging at least once when you get it.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the rig doesn't actually rig right the first time.
The numbers on the sail have to be submitted long before the sails are ready to make. They are often wrong.
Rigging is an art. We had rigging contests at the Belize Nationals partly because locals suck at doing it quickly.
Most of us rig only once a season and keep nearly all our gear rigged for months or years.After a few weeks of tweaking you can get things just as you wish when the sail stops stretching. If you can't drop both your hands from the boom your lines are wrong.
If you put your wave fin in the middle and forgot it, that may be wrong as well.
A guy at Kanaha showed me how to unrig in 60 seconds without hurrying or even moving from a comfortable seated spot on the ground.
I can do a vid of this if anyone cares.
The testers at Wind mag used to tell you how long it took to rig each model of sail. No sail took them more than five minutes, some as little as two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: