myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
board selection on freestyle wave
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAVEDAVE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: board selection on freestyle wave Reply with quote

Does anyone have any feedback specifically on the fanatic freewave or the rrd freestyle wave ltd in the 90 liter range?

Thanks wave
wooot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavedave,

I have the Fanatic Freewave 86 and 77, so I cant comment directly on the
95, but I would assume you coud extrapolate this to the 95.

Best boards I have every owned for general Gorge sailing (see "best midsize FW" post below in the general forum).

Fast, quick planing, great "coasting abilty" extremely lively, and great chop handeling abilities, yet still really turney.

From what I've read, the RRD feels a little more sedate and smooth (Not saying this is a bad thing... just depends on what you are lookin for) the Fanatics have a touch of nervousness..... which I like, but still somehow retain great control at high speed and when overpowered.

For me (195 lbs) the 86 is my bread and butter board, 4.7 and 5.2 mostly ... but also underpowered ,or good swell moderately powered super steady, or weird 4.2 ...... or Even REALLY gusty and holey 3.7 if necessary.

I see you are moving to the Gorge.... so the REAL question might be... what size Freestyle wave. for a lot of people here the 85 ltr size fits that 5.2 4.7 sometimes 4.2 nitch very well. and if you are gonna go for a 5.7 and or 6.2 above the 5.2 you might just as well skip the 95 ltr range and go right to the 100 -105 ltr as "your big gorge board" (and have the 85 ltr size also) The people I see who have a 95 ltr as the bigger board are generally more like 150/ 160 lbs and have a 5.7 as their bigest sail (same time bigger guys 175-200+ would be on 105 litrs. and 6.2, 6.5)

I, of course, woud say go Fanatic, but I'm biased to the point of ... Uh.... Fanaticism
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wavedave,

Some of this has just been recently covered in this thread:

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17296

Differentiating the two boards, the main difference is that the Fanatics are livelier, faster, and turnier. The ride is a little more demanding than the RRD, which has more emphasis on comfort and control. The RRD FSW has a flatter rocker, cushier pads, and a more cushioned, predictable ride. Both are nice boards, it just depends what kind of ride you are looking for.

Both come in nice constructions w/ Technora/Kevlar decks. Both come w/ good fins and straps, although the Fanatic has a superior anti-twist system IMHO.

I personally prefer the Fanatic for my style of sailing, although I sell both in my shop. I like that lively feel.

Another differentiating factor may be sizing. The RRD comes in sizes (85, 90, 95) every 5 liters, whereas the Fanatic comes in an 86 and a 95.

Both boards holdover their shapes from 2008, and you can find some reviews of the 85/86 liter sizes here:

http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=48647
http://www.windsurfingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=1000007818

You can also find more reviews of the Fanatic here (even better if you speak French or German):
http://www.fanatic.com/public/content/e554/e555/e5826/e5859/index_eng.html?cad=tests

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: board selection on freestyle wave Reply with quote

WAVEDAVE wrote:
Does anyone have any feedback specifically on the fanatic freewave or the rrd freestyle wave ltd in the 90 liter range?

Thanks wave

Dave,

I'll weigh in on the Fanatic Freewave also. I own a 86 and a 95. The 86 is my all time favorite board at this point. I tend to sail it in the 4.2 - 4.7 range, and sometimes in the 5.2 range. I sail the 95 in the 5.2 - 6.2 range (although I normally drag out a bigger board for 6.2).

The 95 is not as lively as the 86 (funny after sailing the 86 for a while, it does seem more relaxed, I guess you get used to it after a while). The 95 is fun in bump and jump, turns well (but not the same as the 86) and jibes well. Overall it's a fun board. Not as fast as slalom style blasters, but not a dog either.

I weight 180 pounds and sail it in the SF Bay and the Gorge.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note of caution on the Fanatic Freewaves (I own the 77 and I'm a fan):

If you have wide feet and wear booties check the footstrap width. On my 2008 board it's quite narrow, to the extent that setting up for jibes requires extra front foot withdrawel. If you care about these things its an FYI.

That being said, the board is fast, slashy, early planing, fun to jump etc. I'd buy another one.

wooot

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same deal for me on the foot srap screw spacing.

I jist skip on insert hole ( wider spacing) gets them to a more standard 6 -6 1/4 inch spacing, problem solved.
kmf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: RRD 94 FSW Reply with quote

Ok....Ok.....The Fanantic is a great board.

I purchased My "07 RRD FSW "94" in the fall of 07. I was looking for a replacement for my '97 Mistral Custom 268 which is a great slalom board but not really turny.
I demo'd many boards in this size range... JP FSW..not my cup of tea, Jp excite ...a little big in Hatch swell.. Minstral syncro...needs a crane to get it on a plane in marginal winds, and finally the RRD. All it took with the RRD was one reach across the Event site up to the Bridge and back, I took off my wet suit and went up to Istmas and purchased one. I haven't been disappointed yet after a year of ownership, smooth, turny, responsive, quick to plane, loves to slash small and large swell. I use a 5.0 and 5.8 Sailworks Revo,s on it with excellent results. I weigh 185. (My first day this year was yesterday on a 5.0 and the RRD at the event site). I have used my 4.4 Revo on it in holey conditions with good results.

The RRD is not the fastest board out there, I get passed all the time when I sail at the event site, but then I do not rig a 6.5 in 5.0 conditions and live to go fast. It's hard to play on the wave face while doing mach 5.

What ever you do, try before you buy. I can tell on the first few reaches if I will love or hate a board if the demo is in the conditions where I plan to use it.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: RRD 94 FSW Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
It's hard to play on the wave face while doing mach 5.

Challenging, yes, but very rewarding, and it does narrow down the board choices.

Mike \m/
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the hardest things to learn in travelling (ocean) wave sailing is how to sail slow without losing it. You often fail to vector in on a changing wave face if your speed is high.
In the Gorge the waves do not move as much as the water. They make an easier target to shoot at with speed.
I often sail at launches that are literally too over my head. You need to sail very slowly or stop completely to let too -large waves go by or close out without you getting buried.

Last edited by keycocker on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
insh8bl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAVEDAVE wrote: “Does anyone have any feedback specifically on the fanatic freewave or the rrd freestyle wave ltd in the 90 liter range?”

Hey WAVEDAVE,

I have the 2009 RRD FreestyleWave LTD in 80L and have about twenty-five days on it thus far. I would say this years board is more wave oriented, a little narrower in width and less volume in the tail, than last years edition. I have yet to find fault with this board, it jibes, tacks, and jumps great. Moving the fin a little further forward in the fin box makes the board loose enough for DtL wave sailing. I don’t do any of the fancy spinning kid tricks, so, I can’t comment on the boards’ freestyle ability. The dual density pads are uber comfy and the board comes with quality DaKine footstraps and MFC fin. However, it feels less than the stated 80L when the wind totally shuts off. I am 170-175lbs and use it with a 4.7, biggest sail I own, only.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: