myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sequestration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From factcheck
The Obama care program was created by a conservative think tank called the Heritage Foundation. It was later refined by the two GOP congressmen under Bush who were forced by the lobbyists who control the GOP to vote against their own proposed legislation. Both Obama and Romney adapted this wholly conservative spawned legislation and made it law.
Now that NW has assigned the idea of cutting nothing to Obama, he is mad at Obama for the opinion he has assigned him as well the conservative legislation Obama supports.

This sort of thing is endless really. When you hate someone no need to research.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
It was his idea, his creation, he was fully in support of it, and now he's done a 180.

What 180 is that? What did I miss overnight? As of yesterday, last I heard from his lips was the SOS we've seen him read over and over and over:
1. We have no spending problem. We have a revenue problem.
2. The GOP won't cave and kiss my ass, so it's their fault.
3. "Fairness" (i.e., social justice) is more more important than the economy.
4. We may increase spending a bit less than I had hoped, but not if it impacts outright welfare. [Translation: I'm the Food Stamp King, by God, and as long as I can keep 51% of the voters on unearned welfare, we're in like Flint.]

Surely no one doubts Bob Woodward's heavily researched (a whole book's worth), definitive proof that sequestration originated from O's lips?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old same old. Mac presents a thoughtful, and referenced, post to start a dialogue on the sequester and these guys turn it into an Obamabash.

Maybe our politicians in Washington actually ARE a reflection of their constituents! Shocked

Some commentary on the history of the sequester and who is responsible. Hint...remember Civics 101?

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2013/02/19/were-the-sequester-spending-cuts-obamas-idea
mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool aid, not cool aid. Stupidity, no matter how stubborn, is not cool. What a joke you guys are. Fortunately in a shrinking minority.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how chicken hawk Repubs are saying bring it on, but the gov of Virginia ain't . Maybe because it would rock the economy in many defense sensitive states. NW - did you know the US has lowest taxation as a percent of GDP of any country in the world? Currently 14%.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
these guys turn it into an Obamabash

"Bashing" involves false accusations or attribution. This is neither.

And considering how vital this issue is to national security, it's not even important how closely our comments relate to whatever mac typed. His topic is sequestration, and dispelling media BS to level the playing field is part and parcel of discussing it.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Funny how chicken hawk Repubs are saying bring it on, but the gov of Virginia ain't . Maybe because it would rock the economy in many defense sensitive states. NW - did you know the US has lowest taxation as a percent of GDP of any country in the world? Currently 14%.

I don't care about the rest of the world's taxes, eventhough we have the highest corporate tax rate.

If we took our spending in 2012, and applied that same amount to 2013, it would be less spending than 2013 with sequestration.

It's amazing that people actually believe that a small cut in the rate of spending growth, would cause a catastrophe.
But then again I find it amazing that BHO got re-elected, considering our floundering economy and high unemployment rate.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
...I find it amazing that BHO got re-elected, considering our floundering economy and high unemployment rate.

That may say more about you than it says about anything else.
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I don't care about the rest of the world's taxes, eventhough we have the highest corporate tax rate.

According to the CRS...
Quote:
U.S. Has A Slightly Lower "GDP Weighted Average" Corporate Tax Rate Than Other OECD Countries. A March 31, 2011, Congressional Research Service (CRS) report titled "International Corporate Tax Rate Comparisons and Policy Implications," compared the weighted average of corporate tax rates in the United States and in other countries in the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). It found that the United States has an effective corporate tax rate of 27.1%, compared to the OECD (excluding the United States) average of 27.7%. From the report:
"If tax rates are not weighted, then a small economy, such as Iceland, can have the same effect on the average of international rates as a large economy, such as Germany or Japan. In general, smaller countries tend to have lower tax rates and thus unweighted averages are lower than weighted averages in most cases. In the results presented in this report, both weighted and unweighted averages are reported, but weighted averages are more relevant to making comparisons of measures of the tax burden on capital deployed around the world."

mac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW continues to try to put words in people's mouth to belittle them. Little does he realize he is providing us with ample material. Here from the Christian Science Monitor:

Quote:
For the economy, the $45 billion in defense cuts would be an amount equal to about 0.3 percent of one year’s gross domestic product. That doesn’t mean the cuts would reduce this year’s GDP by that exact amount. But forecasters say the overall sequester cuts, defense and nondefense, could slow the pace of economic growth by half a percentage point or so.

In an economy that may be growing at only a 2 percent annual rate, that’s a significant hit.

Economists generally don’t see it causing a recession. But manufacturers warn of significant job losses, centered heavily in the defense sector.

Overall, this would slow US job growth in the private sector – perhaps costing 1 million jobs. The Bipartisan Policy Center, a Washington think tank, has estimated that the economy might add 3 million jobs over the next two years with the sequester in place, versus 4 million without it.

I did not, nor did anyone here, describe this as a catastrophe. Instead, I remarked that better targeted cuts should be a no-brainer. But that would require compromise, listening, and most difficult for the Tea Party fools, some understanding of government. It is the worship of know-nothings that is the true catastrophe in our political arena.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: