myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delta summer gear
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Delta summer gear Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm still planning to spend the summer in the Sherman Island Delta area and am thinking of what gear to bring. the less gear I put in the van, the more room I will have to live in.

here is a list of most of the gear that I have, which of it should I bring?

thanks for your suggestions.

old 75l Naish waveboard

85l freestyle wave board

102l freestyle wave board

130l Fanatic Ray freerace board

Fanatic SUPsail

sails:
3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.5, 6.3 - all wave type sails

6.5, 7.5, 8.5 Ezzy Infinity 2 cams (pretty sure I won't need the 8.5 out there)

I will (or hope to be) traveling from LI, NY leaving on the afternoon of June 21.

thanks again,
DG
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious....if you're driving accross the country, why would you go to Sherman over the Gorge?
jlederer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boards 85 and 102
sails 3.7-5.5
sup for no wind days
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop the big stuff....
When winds blow in the Delta, consistently thru Sept., it can blow 8 hours of the day, and you sail as much as you can, NEEDING a couple of off days to recover. The off days are usually hot days, so drive to SanFrancisco, and sail Crissy or the coast. It's an hour drive.
carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bring it all, but it also depends on if you want to sail every day. In that case you'll either want your big stuff too or you'll want to make the drive to the bay. The summer wind in the delta depends on how deep the fog is on the coast (also called "marine layer"). If there's a deep marine layer the delta wll usually blow hard. If it's a heat wave it blows much better in places closer to the ocean like Crissy, Candlestick or Coyote.
If you just stay in the delta during 95 deg heat waves (which do last for days), you'll probably want some light wind stuff or paddleboard just to get wet. Many times it will be hot all day, then a sailable wind will come up in the late afterernoon (in which case you'll say, damn I should have brought the big stuff"). Plus on a trip like that, I would want to also sail every lake inbetween here and NY that had wind.
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take um all, sails too, once you get there it will all come out of the van, get rigged, and stay that way, so you'll have all the room you need. Just don't camp in my spot ( - :
carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Drop the big stuff....
When winds blow in the Delta, consistently thru Sept., it can blow 8 hours of the day, and you sail as much as you can, NEEDING a couple of off days to recover. The off days are usually hot days, so drive to SanFrancisco, and sail Crissy or the coast. It's an hour drive.

An hour drive to Crissy from Sherman Is? maybe if there's no traffic and you blatently disreguard any speed limits. The catch is there's almost always traffic!!

Last edited by carl on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving that far, I must ask ... are you avoiding the obvious visit to the Gorge or other west coast areas deliberately from personal experience, or have you bought into the misconception that some of them are too windy? If the former, that's your prerogative. If the latter, you've been snookered, we WISH, and ya oughtta add them to your itinerary. The OR coast alone, wind or no wind, is one of the most spectacular hands-on and fully accessible vacation spots on the continent, and it ain't that far away considering where you're coming from.

And Carl is right; getting there ... anywhere ... is half the fun. I mark every lake on the way, watch the trees and the forecasts, and won't drive past known wind in search of hypothetical wind.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies to the question I asked about what gear would be suitable for the Delta. I appreciate the input.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Delta summer gear Reply with quote

Dennis0778 wrote:
Hi,
I'm still planning to spend the summer in the Sherman Island Delta area and am thinking of what gear to bring. the less gear I put in the van, the more room I will have to live in.

here is a list of most of the gear that I have, which of it should I bring?

thanks for your suggestions.

old 75l Naish waveboard

85l freestyle wave board

102l freestyle wave board

130l Fanatic Ray freerace board

Fanatic SUPsail

sails:
3.7, 4.2, 4.7, 5.5, 6.3 - all wave type sails

6.5, 7.5, 8.5 Ezzy Infinity 2 cams (pretty sure I won't need the 8.5 out there)

I will (or hope to be) traveling from LI, NY leaving on the afternoon of June 21.

thanks again,
DG

Personally I would lose the 130 Liter race board. If it's light enough to use that, I'd be on the SUP working on light wind freestyle. You didn't say what your weight is, but if you are light (< 170#), I'd drop the 75 Liter board and the 6.3 sail, and if you're heavy, I'd leave the 3.7.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: